Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Celebrity - Lovely or Shit

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Sam Baldock seemed like a nice chap - as did Chris Hughton. Gave a lot of time and showed interest in my life in Austria as well as willingly chatting to my boys and making them feel like a million dollars.

Austrian golfer Bernd Wiesinger, on the hand, was totally disinterested on a golf day at my club. One half-enthusiatic sentence would have made my kids' day. Was so glad when he defected to LIV!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This is very disappointing to hear. Hopefully just a bad day, or a misunderstanding.
That's the thing with many celebrity encounters – in the vast majority of cases they are a one-off, so if that person is having a bad day, you end up with a different perception of what they are really like. Although on the three times I've encountered Jeremy Clarkson, he's been a complete knobhead (but a lot of people in the industry seem to like him, although maybe that's because they have to).

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
IMG_0691.jpeg

A lovely lady who needs no introduction
Source: at a live show - I know she loved frogs and so do I

Met loads of famous people over the years and very few celebrities stick out as being really awful when you actually meet them although I’ve met a few that were clearly having an off day when I met them but in fairness to them, I’d rather not tarnish any reputations by posting up examples from personal encounters - although this fella was never a particularly pleasant chap and was always having an off day so deserves the epithet of being a bit of a ‘shit’:

Source: A close working colleague of someone I knew in Brighton for many years 😉

IMG_0693.jpeg

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
That's the thing with many celebrity encounters – in the vast majority of cases they are a one-off, so if that person is having a bad day, you end up with a different perception of what they are really like. Although on the three times I've encountered Jeremy Clarkson, he's been a complete knobhead (but a lot of people in the industry seem to like him, although maybe that's because they have to)
This is very disappointing to hear. Hopefully just a bad day, or a misunderstanding.
I know him and what he has done in the past. Not a one off.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
From personal experience;

Lovely - Christopher Eccleston

Shit - John Nettles

Lovely - Mark Gattis

Shit - Dean Gaffney

Lovely- Lee Mack

Shit - Bodger
Do tell the Dean Gaffney anecdote please

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
From working around them, at athletics events…

Lovely - Michael Johnson and Brendan Foster

Shit - Steve Cram. Really, really shit - Seb Coe

From my time at athletic events…

Shit - Daley Thompson. He came down to Withdean to support a friend of his who was competing when Brighton hosted the Veteran’s World Athletics Championships. Wouldn’t engage with the young volunteer athletes, so we got the bloke manning the PA to announce his presence and that he’d be willing to sign autographs. That’ll teach him!

Lovely - Kris Akabusi. Stood in the pouring rain for a good 20 minutes chatting with me and another mate about 400m tactics when Portsmouth AC (if I remember correctly) came to Withdean as part of a 4-way team meet that Brighton & Hove AC were hosting. An absolute diamond guy.

Randomly, my old neighbour used to move in some circles. She knew Linford Christie and his family at the time or something and had some bad things to say.

Also, someone told me some negative stories about Mick Hucknall which was disappointing.

Met loads of the dart players all seem alright / thick as shit - MVG once stood in front of me in a circle in the smoking area which made me dislike the twat.

Met at the sponsor awards various Albion players for dinner and Bridcutt was by far the soundest. JFC very nice lad too.

A few more famous people I’ve had encounters with I don’t overly want to mention but most have seemed sound and down to earth.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
As a counterpoint to this, I had a meal with a friend recently, who many years ago dated a soap star (she's not a groupie, she worked for Granada at the time).

Apparently whilst just out and about with said actor in the evening, they had someone just come up and without any provocation, shout "Oi! Coronation Street C**t" at him.

So I can understand if famous people may occasionally seem a bit off with people.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is what we call an “example”.

Having said that, it’s a very good indication of snobbery.

It brings to mind the old saying;

“How you do anything is how you do everything”.

If that’s how he talks about invited guests on his show, it’s quite a good indication of how he treats people he considers beneath him.

Sometimes all you need is a candid glimpse, an unintentionally overheard comment that tells you a lot about someone.
Seriously? In his drag act he was always calling people common as muck. It was a standing joke.

Perhaps the joke was misunderstood?

Parky laughing? He's hardly posh is he?

I suspect you may have the wrong end of the stick here, me old fruit.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
James corden and Eamon Holmes’s both asreholes, from people that have worked with them.

Alan Carr is the nicest comedian

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
James corden and Eamon Holmes’s both asreholes, from people that have worked with them.

Alan Carr is the nicest comedian
Had a long chat with TNT's Lynsey Hipgrave, and when I said how much I revered Danny Baker (with whom she worked for a while) she said the best influences on her career and helpfulness/niceness went to Baker and Holmes.

Horses for courses I guess.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Disappointingly nice guy- Simon Cowell, by numerous accounts, really hoped he would be an arsehole.
As lovely as you would think - Michaela Strachan.

Met lots of nice celebs through old job, one or two not so nice, but sometimes you find out later they were going through a divorce, or you realise that they have been on tour for months and are fed up. Everyone gets tired and cranky sometimes.

Joan Collins was hired by Warner Bros to do some promotional work maybe 30 years back, it was 75 anniversary of WB or something, and had to appear at events with Bugs Bunny. One of my mates was one of 4 guys they hired to be in the Bugs suit and fool around. JC was a real bitch to him at the end of one event, said some derogatory stuff about his status as an actor, dressed as a rabbit, bear in mind, she doesn't know and cant see who is in the bugs costume.
2 weeks later he has the same gig, different venue, he starts really stealing the limelight, and making JC look like the support act, she said to him, "your the guy from 2 weeks ago aren't you?". He just nodded slowly, she said "Oh shit" but took being the but of his clowning and being upstaged very well, and was apologetic for her prior behaviour at the end of the day.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
A friend used to work in Radio/TV and had dealings with Rik Mayall on numerous occasions. Apparently he was awful to work with- arrogant and nasty.
I was just scrolling through and readying myself to put my post - so surprised to read this, as Rik was going to be my ‘Nice’ celeb. Met him 3 times, and found him to be a really nice bloke.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I was just scrolling through and readying myself to put my post - so surprised to read this, as Rik was going to be my ‘Nice’ celeb. Met him 3 times, and found him to be a really nice bloke.
Same. Brilliant man but very eager to please to a fault. Really desperately wanted to entertain and be loved

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Sara Davies from Dragons Den lives on the same road as me and she‘s really friendly. She gets fully involved with activities in our neighbourhood like Halloween trick or treating etc. She also hosts a Christmas party for our street every year and is just a really nice, down-to-earth lady.

Someone else who used to live in our neighbourhood, also from DD, is Duncan Bannatyne. On the occasions where I encountered him in the local shop or pub etc, he was consistently rude and bordering on aggressive to pretty much anyone he encountered. He’d regularly click his fingers at anyone whose attention he needed for something.

Outside of Dragon’s Den, Adam Johnson is a member at our golf club and I’ve played a few rounds with him in competitions etc. If you take him purely at face value without taking into account what he did, I found him a thoroughly decent and interesting bloke. Had quite a few fascinating on-pitch stories from his career.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here