Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Celebrity - Lovely or Shit

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I played at UKsport golf day about 18 months ago.

Kriss akubussi - lovely bloke. Time for everyone. I was lucky enough to hit a good shot while he was stood next to me and got a fist bump. I was 12 in 1991 when he won world champs so that little kid inside me was leaping for joy.

Not saying a bad person but I was shocked…

Someone in Denise lewis’ four ball won the long drive contest but someone I was playing with saw them put the flag in the fairway when the ball was actually in the rough. Who cheats at a charity gold day?!
I agree with you about Kriss Akubussi. My daughter had got her gold DofE award, so we were invited to Buck House, where celebrities who support the scheme were also wandering around the gardens. Kriss was great, along with his fellow relay runner, Phil Brown.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I agree with you about Kriss Akubussi. My daughter had got her gold DofE award, so we were invited to Buck House, where celebrities who support the scheme were also wandering around the gardens. Kriss was great, along with his fellow relay runner, Phil Brown.
He really is a lovely guy. I went to school with his daughter as he lived in the same village and he was great. Would regularly come into the school to talk to us and help with sport related activities. And this was in the early 90’s when he was more famous.

Micky Adams daughters also used to go to the same school as Micky and his then wife lived in the same village when he played for Southampton. Micky was always lovely too and would come in and coach our school football team. He did football presentation nights for our local teams and I was made up when he became our manager!

OT but later when he was our manager and my Dad still had his phone number for some reason, he arranged for Warren Aspinall to come and do the presentation night for my Dad’s team as Warren was playing for us but lived in the same area as us in Hampshire. I spent the night at the bar with Warren which was great (this was just before his career ended and his difficulties started). I’ve always loved Warren since.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He really is a lovely guy. I went to school with his daughter as he lived in the same village and he was great. Would regularly come into the school to talk to us and help with sport related activities. And this was in the early 90’s when he was more famous.

Micky Adams daughters also used to go to the same school as Micky and his then wife lived in the same village when he played for Southampton. Micky was always lovely too and would come in and coach our school football team. He did football presentation nights for our local teams and I was made up when he became our manager!

OT but later when he was our manager and my Dad still had his phone number for some reason, he arranged for Warren Aspinall to come and do the presentation night for my Dad’s team as Warren was playing for us but lived in the same area as us in Hampshire. I spent the night at the bar with Warren which was great (this was just before his career ended and his difficulties started). I’ve always loved Warren since.
It was 1993 when we met him, and talked athletics as well as church. My daughter was a reasonably good sprinter & long jumper at the time.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Years ago I had a chat with John Simpson on a Eurostar returning from Paris. Lovely chap, we talked about living in Paris (think he had a French wife?), France in general vs UK. I didn't let on that I knew who he was, and he dropped zero hints about it.
Given that you never let on, and he never introduced himself, has the thought ever occurred to you that you may have just met a nice guy on the Eurostar who looked like John Simpson?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
In general, the whole concept of "Celebrity" ( and the fawning that can go with it ) is in the OP's words "shit".
Thanks, I was waiting for this!
One of my pet hates is when the cameras at Wimbledon pan onto Beckham in the crowd.... I want to watch the tennis, just ***k off cameraman/director (not Beckham's fault).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Have you met Francis Benali?

He comes across in the media as a good bloke, with cancer charity work.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Given that you never let on, and he never introduced himself, has the thought ever occurred to you that you may have just met a nice guy on the Eurostar who looked like John Simpson?
That's a possibility 👍, and I guess the guy talking to the 'John Simpson' lookalike could have been someone who just looked like me 🤔...ok, now I've got a headache

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Lovely: Davina McCall. Was at a Thing she was at a few weeks ago, one of those people who seems authentically and naturally decent. I reckon she'd be a great person to have as a friend.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
One of my pet hates is when the cameras at Wimbledon pan onto Beckham in the crowd.... I want to watch the tennis, just ***k off cameraman/director (not Beckham's fault).

Same here. A posh voiced commentator mentions tier-4 royals, the Beckhams and other poseurs. Pathetic.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
In general, the whole concept of "Celebrity" ( and the fawning that can go with it ) is in the OP's words "shit".
tom holland.jpg

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Lovely: Davina McCall. Was at a Thing she was at a few weeks ago, one of those people who seems authentically and naturally decent. I reckon she'd be a great person to have as a friend.
On a similar theme. Has anyone here ever met Colin Murray? He strikes me as a bloke that I would really get along with. He seems ace and would be a great friend.

Hopefully he didn’t once take the seat of an old person on the tube that someone witnessed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On a similar theme. Has anyone here ever met Colin Murray? He strikes me as a bloke that I would really get along with. He seems ace and would be a great friend.

Hopefully he didn’t once take the seat of an old person on the tube that someone witnessed.

Didn’t he leave TalkSport because of Murdoch’s ownership?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I haven't but I know people who have, and all agree he's an absolute gent

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Lovely - Her Majesty The Queen.

I met her at Buckingham Palace when our company won the Queen's Award for Export.

She stood and chatted for a few minutes about what we did and seemed genuinely interested in our business. She must have met literally tens of thousands of people like me, but she had the ability to help you relax and simply have a chat.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ah but if he had just turned up looking a bit scruffy and in the ordinary seats he would never have been noticed... He's usually in one of the posh " Boxes " in a suit hoping to get spotted.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Lovely - Her Majesty The Queen.

I met her at Buckingham Palace when our company won the Queen's Award for Export.

She stood and chatted for a few minutes about what we did and seemed genuinely interested in our business. She must have met literally tens of thousands of people like me, but she had the ability to help you relax and simply have a chat.
Likewise Princess Anne, the hardest working of them all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here