• No- Don't change the rule

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Fence Sitter

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

Ice Man

Jan 5, 2006
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
I think it should be a matter of common sense. At Chelsea today they celebrated near the fans and leant into the crowd. That shouldn't be a booking. If they'd jumped the advertising hoardings then it should be.

I don't think either should be a booking to be honest.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
It's ridiculous - no-one should have to think what they are, and are not allowed to do once they have scored (as long as its not too indecent!)

Personally, i am all for them taking off their shirts when theyve scored - that shouldnt be a bookable offence!!!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The whole idea of football, unless I am sadly mistaken, is to score goals. What is the point of booking a player if he celebrates what he is supposed to be doing, granted he should be if he makes stupid gestures to the opposition fans, but celebrating with his own supporters...give it a break!

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
If you celebrate in front of your own fans then as long as you keep it sensible and dont literally jump in the crowd then there shouldnt be any punishment. It's human nature. On the other hand if you deliberately celebrate in front of opposition supporters then it should be a straight red.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
It's ridiculous - no-one should have to think what they are, and are not allowed to do once they have scored (as long as its not too indecent!)

Personally, i am all for them taking off their shirts when theyve scored - that shouldnt be a bookable offence!!!
:lol:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I prefer Quality Street.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I'm not keen for a few reasons.

One - by the time a player has run into the crowd, had all his team mates follow him, been mobbed by fans and players alike, extricated himself from the grabbing hands and everyone's got back ready for kick off, a good few minutes have gone by, to the detriment of the team who now have a good few minutes LESS to get a goal back. Does the ref add on extra time for lengthy goal celebrations? Even if he does, it still breaks up play unneccessarily.

Two - OK it's great when your team score, but when an opposing team scores and they "over" celebrate, it really really hacks me off. Imagine if McGleish had scored yesterday and run over to the Northampton end (even if wasn't half a mile away!). We'd have been screaming like girls for him to get on with the game.You could argue that these kinds of celebrations incite the opposing fans.

Three - it looks really dangerous. I always wince when I see one player jumping on top of another (Steve Morrow anyone?) but when it's tons of fans, jumping up and down uncontrollably...

It probably has to be stopped and yellow cards are the quickest and most effective way, as clubs will carry on with whatever behaviour gives them an advatage.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Great answer Lush.

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Good point Lush. Well made.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Stupid rule and ought to be got rid of. Having said that Ballack was pretty frickin stupid to do it having seen shevchenko booked earlier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here