Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Celebrating the amazing early (up to Joshua Tree) music of U2 and Bono

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have read the first line of your opening post about 4 times now and I'm still confused.
The same with the first line of this one. :shrug: sorry if I'm missing something.
Are you actually saying U2 made Whitesnake redundant in the 80s?
[MENTION=34281]pearl[/MENTION] post #29 is also confused I think.

Edit - my first line means punk made old school rock redundant, especially by new 'rock' bands that formed after the start of punk.

I can explain this in more detail. By the mid 70s old style rock was stale. When punk arrived it made old style rock look like it was for dads and dimbots. New rock groups that formed after 76 were increasingly ludicrous (like Whitesnake). Those continuing from an earlier beginning often looked silly, some populated by grumpy old old fools complaining about 'anti music' etc. Then 3-4 years after punk started we had seen the emergence (or transformation) of lots of very interesting arty bands, not punk, not 'rock' (pronounced Rark!). As I mentioned, The Fall, Blue Orchids, the best period of Captain Beefhart, Simple Minds, Japan, The Mekons....I could drone on and on.

Then out of nowhere came a rock band. They were called U2. Not 'cock rock' (well, later maybe :lolol:). And with the off the beat drumming introduced to non-reggae by Stewart Copeland of the Police. After U2, that drumming style became the norm for indy music. Old style drumming never came back (outside of 'Rark!) till Grunge and Britpop.

U2 were not just brilliant, but they were rock, evolved. Guitar like no band with self respect had attempted since 1976, new drum sound (OK, XTC and other bands produced by Steve Lillywhite had the sound), and a new vocal sound, heroic, British (Isles), anthemic.....

Make sense now?

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's what I thought. I had a free ticket to see Whitesnake at the Dome ('79/80) .... it was a great evening, great atmosphere and really friendly audience :rock:

See above for explanation :thumbsup:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Edit - my first line means punk made old school rock redundant, especially by new 'rock' bands that formed after the start of punk.

I can explain this in more detail. By the mid 70s old style rock was stale. When punk arrived it made old style rock look like it was for dads and dimbots. New rock groups that formed after 76 were increasingly ludicrous (like Whitesnake). Those continuing from an earlier beginning often looked silly, some populated by grumpy old old fools complaining about 'anti music' etc. Then 3-4 years after punk started we had seen the emergence (or transformation) of lots of very interesting arty bands, not punk, not 'rock' (pronounced Rark!). As I mentioned, The Fall, Blue Orchids, the best period of Captain Beefhart, Simple Minds, Japan, The Mekons....I could drone on and on.

Then out of nowhere came a rock band. They were called U2. Not 'cock rock' (well, later maybe :lolol:). And with the off the beat drumming introduced to non-reggae by Stewart Copeland of the Police. After U2, that drumming style became the norm for indy music. Old style drumming never came back (outside of 'Rark!) till Grunge and Britpop.

U2 were not just brilliant, but they were rock, evolved. Guitar like no band with self respect had attempted since 1976, new drum sound (OK, XTC and other bands produced by Steve Lillywhite had the sound), and a new vocal sound, heroic, British (Isles), anthemic.....

Make sense now?

All good H, yes makes sense now thanks, especially the first line.

I do remember U2 starting out, I was into punk and new wave still but a couple of good friends I went to gigs with liked them from the off. They went to the Jenkinsons gig, but I didn't as i didn't really get into U2 for some reason.
Did you go to Simple Minds at Jenkinsons?

Jul 7, 2003
Yes, pretty much sums it up for me. Great band up to and including The Joshua Tree.

Judging from posts on this thread looks like we agree that Under a Blood Red Sky is a stunning live album. Not just the audio but the concert itself with the Red Rocks amphitheatre, the mist and rain, and the flames.

I visited Red Rocks while on a trip to Denver 18 months ago. Stunning place to hold a concert. We got kicked out of the main arena as they were preparing for gig that evening. While walking the trails around, we got to hear some of the warm up and the sound bouncing off the rocks was crystal clear.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I do remember U2 starting out, I was into punk and new wave still but a couple of good friends I went to gigs with liked them from the off. They went to the Jenkinsons gig, but I didn't as i didn't really get into U2 for some reason.

:bigwave:

Simple Minds, no. I didn't discover them till I moved to London in 81 (Promised you a miracle, themes of great cities). One of my favourites now - superbly innovative.

At Jenks I saw Comsat Angels :love:, Spizz, Ten Pole Tudor, Echo and the Bunnymen, and U2...

Round the back in the Top Rank I saw the Stranglers, the Clash (with Pete Townshend), Scritti politti, The Dictators (with Handsome Dick Manitoba) Doctors of Madness, the Stiff tour (Elvis Costello, Ian Dury, Wreckless Eric, Nick Lowe), The Specials, Madness, Selector, and some years earlier AC/DC with Bon Scott on vocals, and long before that 'Man' :mad:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I visited Red Rocks while on a trip to Denver 18 months ago. Stunning place to hold a concert. We got kicked out of the main arena as they were preparing for gig that evening. While walking the trails around, we got to hear some of the warm up and the sound bouncing off the rocks was crystal clear.

I remember C4 showing it, or parts of it, at the time in 1983. Not a U2 fan as such at the time, but Gloria and New Years Day were immense. What a setting.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
:bigwave:

Simple Minds, no. I didn't discover them till I moved to London in 81 (Promised you a miracle, themes of great cities). One of my favourites now - superbly innovative.

At Jenks I saw Comsat Angels :love:, Spizz, Ten Pole Tudor, Echo and the Bunnymen, and U2...

Round the back in the Top Rank I saw the Stranglers, the Clash (with Pete Townshend), Scritti politti, The Dictators (with Handsome Dick Manitoba) Doctors of Madness, the Stiff tour (Elvis Costello, Ian Dury, Wreckless Eric, Nick Lowe), The Specials, Madness, Selector, and some years earlier AC/DC with Bon Scott on vocals, and long before that 'Man' :mad:

I went to Simple Minds as a friend had Life in a Day single from 79, they didn't go down too well at Jenkinsons though.
I saw a fair few bands at Jenkinsons, definitely went to Ten Pole Tudor, also remember seeing Dead Kennedys and Killing Joke. There was another Stiff tour ( son of Stiff ?? ) that came there.
This was when I was still 15-16 and never had a problem getting in, Top Rank had a very strick door policy, but I did first try and get in aged 14.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I have a similar recollection to you of the early 80’s. I might be a bit younger going by past discussions, so wasn’t gigging when punk was around, instead from 1980 onwards.

I loved and went to gigs of Bunnymen, Big Country, Kraftwerk, Ultravox, Flock of Seagulls, Simple Minds, Stranglers, New Order, The Cure, The Smith etc.

U2 didn’t fit into any niche. The first fans of U2 I knew from college were already into Saxon, Motorhead, ACDC. I assume that they simply added another guitar based band tagged as ‘rock’ to their likes. Purist headbangers soon ditched U2 as they evolved into a pop/rock category of their own, a million miles away from screaming Brian Johnson.

One of my headbanger friends there told me about the U2 Top Rank Suite gig. Strictly into New Wave, synth and post-punk, so I didn’t bother.

A regret, wish I’d gone.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have a similar recollection to you of the early 80’s. I might be a bit younger going by past discussions, so wasn’t gigging when punk was around, instead from 1980 onwards.

I loved and went to gigs of Bunnymen, Big Country, Kraftwerk, Ultravox, Flock of Seagulls, Simple Minds, Stranglers, New Order, The Cure, The Smith etc.

U2 didn’t fit into any niche. The first fans of U2 I knew from college were already into Saxon, Motorhead, ACDC. I assume that they simply added another guitar based band tagged as ‘rock’ to their likes. Purist headbangers soon ditched U2 as they evolved into a pop/rock category of their own, a million miles away from screaming Brian Johnson.

One of my headbanger friends there told me about the U2 Top Rank Suite gig. Strictly into New Wave, synth and post-punk, so I didn’t bother.

A regret, wish I’d gone.

I didn't go to the first punk gigs 76 - 77 as I was too young, first gig 1979.
Went to gigs at the Centre, Dome, Jenkinsons, Suite, Sussex Uni and some small venues and pubs.

Biggest regret, not going to see Bob Marley at the Brighton Centre.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I didn't go to the first punk gigs 76 - 77 as I was too young, first gig 1979.
Went to gigs at the Centre, Dome, Jenkinsons, Suite, Sussex Uni and some small venues and pubs.

Biggest regret, not going to see Bob Marley at the Brighton Centre.

Wish I’d seen The Jam, and The Police (but with them, only covering the first two albums). A lucky older brother of mine of HWT’s age saw the lot, plus all the visits to Brighton by The Stranglers, The Clash, etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here