Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Catering disasters tonight

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
:facepalm:

That's really very poor.

I'm another who's given up eating at the stadium - I worked it out at about £250pa (I sometimes get the cheap(er) hot food option in 1901 - I don't eat that many pies!). It's not the price (although it's at the very top end of what I'd pay), it's not the quality of ingredients (though they're not great), it's the temperature. Not tepid; not cool; stone cold. I'm done giving feedback on it - I've tried 5 or 6 times with different staff members - in writing and verbally. Lots of things change, to be fair, but the bottom line is that it is always stone f*cking cold.

Rant over.

I've never had a problem with the temperature of the pies in WSU.
But perhaps someone can prompt Paul Barber to have a look at this thread.
PS for Paul: I/we don't need a long email, spend the time with your family instead.
PPS for Paul: top work fella.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
East Lower after the game done the impossible made Fosters taste evens worse than normal. Disgusting cross between lager and cider with bubbles also removed.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Well none apart from they also ran out of Harveys at 7:30...

To those who object to people moaning about the catering; I wish the club nothing but success and prosperity and am happy to spend my hard earned at the ground. However, it is frustrating when I can't give the club my money when there isn't enough Harveys or pies.

Yeah - what I meant (and should have been clearer on) is that I personally didn't have any issues.

I agree that people should feel open and able to complain when Sodexo/the club balls it up.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've never had a problem with the temperature of the pies in WSU.
But perhaps someone can prompt Paul Barber to have a look at this thread.
PS for Paul: I/we don't need a long email, spend the time with your family instead.
PPS for Paul: top work fella.

Did you get / complete the survey? It came to me and I slaughtered the catering in no uncertain terms.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Ate at stadium for first season , now its wetherspoons North street for me and nordic jr before every game then bus out , got 25x and was very quick . 18:00 chicken and ribs and 2 pints cider £10.59 . Also when does Sodexo contract run out?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It's hard to grumble too much when the club are doing so much right on and off the pitch at the moment, but the only way things will improve is if they are highlighted.

If every one of the grumblers on here is also reporting their individual grumble directly to the club then I'd agree with you. What I suspect is happening is that the majority just let off steam on NSC because it's easy, assume the club are monitoring all threads on here and don't bother to provide the direct feedback that would probably lead to improvements.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can't help thinking that the local community aren't sufficiently grateful for the staggering start and brilliant football we're playing this season.

I do agree to an extent, but despite our incredible start, Tuesday night v Rotherham Utd is never going to be oversubscribed. In the overall context of Championship attendances, 21k for that fixture is still not too shabby in the great scheme of things.

Anyway, on with the catering grizzles. As I was in my 2nd queue for that pie last night, a woman stood pouring Harveys loudly declared "HARVEYS ALL FINISHED NOW, HARVEYS ALL FINISHED NOW". Some disgruntled mutters ensued, only for her to start shouting "HARVEYS IS BACK ON NOW...HARVEYS IS BACK ON".

What hope have we got when they have no clue what they have or haven't got.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Did you get / complete the survey? It came to me and I slaughtered the catering in no uncertain terms.

Was that the email that arrived a week or so ago?
If so, my claim is that I've been too busy ... which is somewhat problematic, as I've just wasted the last 90 minutes on here. Better get on with some work.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If every one of the grumblers on here is also reporting their individual grumble directly to the club then I'd agree with you. What I suspect is happening is that the majority just let off steam on NSC because it's easy, assume the club are monitoring all threads on here and don't bother to provide the direct feedback that would probably lead to improvements.

The club have had 4 years worth of feedback on the sub-quality standard of catering at the Amex. I've done it several times in the past, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Nothing changes, so whats the point ? Unless I'm desperate, I just swerve it now and sort meself out before or after the game elsewhere.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The club have had 4 years worth of feedback on the sub-quality standard of catering at the Amex. I've done it several times in the past, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Nothing changes, so whats the point ? Unless I'm desperate, I just swerve it now and sort meself out before or after the game elsewhere.

Threads on here DO get fed back to the club in any case. Bozza has intimated as much before and at very least Insider reads NSC when he can. But otherwise you're right of course. Despite everything the club did brilliantly on Saturday - and they really did - we went straight to The Swan from the walk buses because the beer is cheaper and doesn't run out, the queues are smaller and the food is better. I had a sausage roll & two pints in Dick's last night but only because we couldn't be arsed to walk to the Swan when we had to meet on the concourse at seven.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

That's sort of where I am now, and I'm not pleased to say it.

I have no idea how much our small group spent in The Cyclist pre-game. Both [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] had full-on meals, I had a veggie Scotch egg (which was amazing) and I'm guessing between the 6 of us we spent c£100 on booze. The only money I spent in the stadium last night was a bottle of Bulmers in the press lounge whilst I waited for [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] to finish working. #HoveBornAndBred

If every one of the grumblers on here is also reporting their individual grumble directly to the club then I'd agree with you. What I suspect is happening is that the majority just let off steam on NSC because it's easy, assume the club are monitoring all threads on here and don't bother to provide the direct feedback that would probably lead to improvements:lolol:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Snap. Filled in questionnaires, written to named people in customer services, 1901, Paul Beirne, Paul Barber; spoken to maybe 4 separate people too. All to no avail. I do not doubt that the club desperately want to fix this problem, but, as a punter, there are only so many times one can say "this 'gourmet lamb burger with chips and coleslaw' at £14 is stone cold - it can't have been anywhere near any heat of any description for at least 30 minutes" before one just gives up.

I accept that it's hard to get this right (it's only 23 home games a year); I accept that the price will always be more expensive than a pub/restaurant; I accept variable delivery times for the food; I accept only average quality ingredients. I do not accept stone cold "hot" food. :shrug:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I have no idea how much our small group spent in The Cyclist pre-game. Both [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] had full-on meals, I had a veggie Scotch egg (which was amazing) and I'm guessing between the 6 of us we spent c£100 on booze. The only money I spent in the stadium last night was a bottle of Bulmers in the press lounge whilst I waited for [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] to finish working. #HoveBornAndBred

I was very happy with the food & drink in the cyclist, and yes, we spent a lot of money we would previously have spent on the concourse.

As a slight aside, although I had a burger, their scones look amazing. Next time, it's fruit scone, jam and clotted cream for me - with a cup of tea :)

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Snap. Filled in questionnaires, written to named people in customer services, 1901, Paul Beirne, Paul Barber; spoken to maybe 4 separate people too. All to no avail. I do not doubt that the club desperately want to fix this problem, but, as a punter, there are only so many times one can say "this 'gourmet lamb burger with chips and coleslaw' at £14 is stone cold - it can't have been anywhere near any heat of any description for at least 30 minutes" before one just gives up.

I accept that it's hard to get this right (it's only 23 home games a year); I accept that the price will always be more expensive than a pub/restaurant; I accept variable delivery times for the food; I accept only average quality ingredients. I do not accept stone cold "hot" food. :shrug:

You are very accepting.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

That sounds splendid.

I'm not expecting a full-blown meal of Michelin-star standards on the concourse at the Amex of course, or any other football ground for that matter. But it really should not be too much to ask to have kiosks that are properly stocked with the advertised food and beers, along with burgers / hot dogs / pies of a decent standard that is actually served HOT. As ever though, its hit and miss whether they manage to achieve any one of those basic factors. You're taking pot luck each and every time.

Foodwise it always seems to be pies that run out first. Are they simply cutting the margins too fine in the numbers they order ? I appreciate there is a balancing act to be had, as if there's a surplus then you can't (or certainly shouldn't) be holding over leftover pies until the next game. But if there is a surplus left over, then why not just flog them off for a quid after the game, either on the concourse or outside as people are leaving ? I'm sure they'd shift most if not all of the remaining units, and in doing so they might just attract back a few more punters like me who have all but given up on it.

I just cannot believe after 4 years they STILL haven't got a decent handle on how many units of pies etc they need for each matchday. Its baffling.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That sounds splendid.

I'm not expecting a full-blown meal of Michelin-star standards on the concourse at the Amex of course, or any other football ground for that matter. But it really should not be too much to ask to have kiosks that are properly stocked with the advertised food and beers, along with burgers / hot dogs / pies of a decent standard that is actually served HOT. As ever though, its hit and miss whether they manage to achieve any one of those basic factors. You're taking pot luck each and every time.

Foodwise it always seems to be pies that run out first. Are they simply cutting the margins too fine in the numbers they order ? I appreciate there is a balancing act to be had, as if there's a surplus then you can't (or certainly shouldn't) be holding over leftover pies until the next game. But if there is a surplus left over, then why not just flog them off for a quid after the game, either on the concourse or outside as people are leaving ? I'm sure they'd shift most if not all of the remaining units, and in doing so they might just attract back a few more punters like me who have all but given up on it.

I just cannot believe after 4 years they STILL haven't got a decent handle on how many units of pies etc they need for each matchday. Its baffling.

From what I've seen, it's rarely that they've completely run out of pies at any point before the very end of a session, it's that they've run out temporarily due to the need to cook/heat etc the pies they have. I think there is a capacity issue with regards to oven space to do this, and the pies take a decent amount of time to cook (heat up?) properly prior to being available to purchase.

I can quite understand that if there is a sudden pie rush, then stuff can run out and can't be immediately replaced due to the cooking time. I don't doubt there are also cock-ups, on occasion, when planning has been poor, although you'd like to think those occasions would be few and far between now.

Why has the mini-outlet in the middle of the WSU been closed for both games this week? Surely they should be making full use of all serving capacity available...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You are very accepting.

You are, of course, quite right. Any one of those things happening in a food-based establishment charging £14 for a burger and chips would have me apoplectic. I'm much more accepting in the Albion's case because I have an emotional attachment to the place and it's not a purely commercial transaction. I understand that, in some small way, if I contribute over the odds for food, it somehow adds just a tiny bit to the quality of the team; and that's a trade off I'm prepared to make. But there are limits - for me, congealed, cold lamb fat (for example) and limp, cold chips are the other side of acceptable.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If the price of being top of the table is the most awful catering provision then I'll take it.

But really, no Harvey's at 7.15?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here