Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Catering at the Amex, has it improved?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
From experience, WSU is dreadful given how narrow the concourse is !
However it seems to me that food and drinks ought to be separated AND prices should be set at even amounts - pies and pints etc. not requiring change.
In other words, staff handing out required items instantly in the food kiosks and some staff dedicated to pouring pints in the drinks kiosks and not to order !

Narrow the concourse is? christ have you been to QPR, Man Utd,Liverpool or Everton? I could carry on

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Do you want to just run that one past me again ???

I think most understood what was meant by, people tend to go down 10-15mins before, come back later so they serving window isn’t just the time between refs whistles.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Narrow the concourse is? christ have you been to QPR, Man Utd,Liverpool or Everton? I could carry on

He's correct TBF.
The WSU is fine in the central area, but either end is not really a good design, especially when fans are trying to enter the concourse from the steps have to squeeze past the queues for the kiosks.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Catering at the Amex, has it improved

I would certainly say so Yesterday for example while watching the game I thought to myself I could really do with a drink right now when bush a bottle appears from nowhere delivered by some Spanish waiter who popped over to check it was ok

Don't know don't care, as long as Barber robs the old folk of their flasks I'll never be finding out

Does anyone know if the vendors around Falmer station are off club property?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think most understood what was meant by, people tend to go down 10-15mins before, come back later so they serving window isn’t just the time between refs whistles.

Think you'll find most people stay in their seats and watch what they've come to see. Those who really feel the need to miss the middle portion of the game perhaps need to look at themselves and decide if they have the desire to actually be bothered to follow the team.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I'm surprised catering is such an important part of people's match-day experience. Drink in the city centre before the game, eat in the city centre afterwards. You're at the stadium to watch football, not get caught up in lines for hot dogs and overpriced beer.

I don't mean to belittle others - often I queue up (in vein) for a halftime drink when I go to games. Sure, I get that having a drink in the concourse before KO is all part of the enjoyment and part of the social side of going to matches, but queuing up for meal deals and paying over the odds for snacks is just unnecessary IMO. Bordering on the daft.

I think for many that travel from afar simply bolting on a couple of hours extra drinking time isn’t feasible for whatever reason, travel, family commitments etc therefore the speed and accessibility from the available source should be capable of being better and actually dealing with those in attendance wanting sustenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Think you'll find most people stay in their seats and watch what they've come to see. Those who really feel the need to miss the middle portion of the game perhaps need to look at themselves and decide if they have the desire to actually be bothered to follow the team.

I know, but the point was Watford Z didn’t understand what I meant by the half time window isn’t just the time between refs whistle when it comes to serving food and beverages. Plenty of fans forsake watching the game to get ahead of the main queue or finish beers off which is entirely their prerogative. I prefer watching the game myself.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I must admit I havent looked for or tried the noodles as to me football is about pies, coffee and bovril. I would NEVER buy a cooked pizza and very rarely an uncooked one as they do not appeal to me.

And, like me, you probably don't drink bovril at any other time in your life.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I tried Bovril for the first time at the Amex, actually!

Took it to my seat, had a mouthful, then wondered why the f*ck I'd just bought a cup of piss weak gravy without anything to pour it on......

A terrible first experience. You can judge an entire ground's catering on the bovril experience normally. I'll email Barber...

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Have you ever tried Dick’s Bar pre match? I haven’t, I assume that all the seats are taken very early on. Yesterday I saw fans approaching the Amex 3 and half hours before kickoff.

No I've not. Because my group come via North West Seagulls now we don't usually get there until about 45 minutes before the game so it makes doing anything out of the box a little pointless.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I spent several seasons in WSU and you’re spot on. Plus the concourse gets natural light.

Other packed, narrow concrete dungeons are the away concourses at Molyneux and Notts County.

Exactly this. We really do have some of the most comfortable concourses of any stadium in the UK. Loftus Road, Carrow Road, Selhurst i'd add to the shame list.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I must admit I havent looked for or tried the noodles as to me football is about pies, coffee and bovril. I would NEVER buy a cooked pizza and very rarely an uncooked one as they do not appeal to me.

The pizza in the North Stand is actually really nice. It's probably my go to meal at the AMEX if I don't get a burger from outside. Although the standard has lowered because the really attractive young lady who sold them last season no longer works at that part of the concourse, which is really disappointing.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I’d say it has improved, I have winged (grumpy old man) after getting a luke warm burger a couple of seasons ago I had them get the manager and remove all the burgers for sale before they did mass food poisoning. They didn’t want too but a temperature probe appeared was stuck in a couple of burgers then they were all removed, probably reheated and resold in another stand.

The sausage rolls in WSU are magnificent but expensive

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here