Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

catalonia independence vote......

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
How long before Spain fires the Calatan leaders and takes control of it's finances and media? Not going to end well this.

Indeed, there is a big chance of conflict. This situation is so fascinating and once again, IMO, is a situation like Brexit and Trump which is fuelled by dissatisfaction with Globalisation. Also be interesting to see how the EU deals with any violence, especially if the conflict inflates. Will they again side with the Spanish govt and ignore the referendum.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
All going off in Spain...

Catalonia declares independence. Spain impress direct rule on Catalonia. Who's your money on?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
they should have a football match to decide, Madrid v Barca.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Had the Spanish government behaved sensibly and allowed a legally recognised independence referendum as the UK did with Scotland, they probably would have got the result they wanted and this whole situation could have been avoided.

By failing to do so, and by acting so heavy-handedly throughout this whole thing, they have radicalised the opinions of a lot of moderate Catalans and pushed them into the pro-independence camp, which in turn has given the Catalan government the platform for what they've done today.

What happens now I've no idea, but I suspect it won't be pleasant.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Had the Spanish government behaved sensibly and allowed a legally recognised independence referendum as the UK did with Scotland, they probably would have got the result they wanted and this whole situation could have been avoided.

By failing to do so, and by acting so heavy-handedly throughout this whole thing, they have radicalised the opinions of a lot of moderate Catalans and pushed them into the pro-independence camp, which in turn has given the Catalan government the platform for what they've done today.

What happens now I've no idea, but I suspect it won't be pleasant.

Completely agree with this.

My money is on the following:

Some violence
The EU wetting itself
The EU telling Spain they have to sort this out
Spain give Catalonia what they want but agree to "cooperate" in some loose way so they all stay part of the EU and Catalonia feels more independent whilst no one suffers financially.

larus

Completely agree with this.

My money is on the following:

Some violence
The EU wetting itself
The EU telling Spain they have to sort this out
Spain give Catalonia what they want but agree to "cooperate" in some loose way so they all stay part of the EU and Catalonia feels more independent whilst no one suffers financially.

I also don't honestly think this will lead to independence. I agree that there will be violence and an agreement with Spain for more devolved powers and less payments to the central government.

With all the talk of more and more integration from the EU, the opposite seems to be the order of the day in various parts. Scotland, Catalonia, Italy recently. Flanders. All I can see is more of these tensions arising due to migration in certain areas overwhelming the local population and causing resentment.

People aren't always racist, but most people prefer to associate with others they can relate. Immigrants don't bring this and tend to migrate towards their own communities.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
No wonder I keep on being offered another City Break in Barcelona at bargain prices!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And this is what happens when governments don't listen to the people. EU shoukd take note !

bhaseeer

Aug 29, 2017
Madrid will never let all that tax leave easily.

Already the EU and the USA are backing Madrid.....centralisation is the game in town by the powers that be.

Popcorn at the ready.

Possible Guardia Civil will go in and arrest everyone - and the mainstream media may try to put a glossy spin on it.

In reality - people are longing for decentralisation - just wait till the blockchain tech kicks in next year.......this is just the start......

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
referendums rarely end well, legal or illegal. May just confirmed UK will not recognise what is an Illegal break away state and rightly so.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If Catalonia had any support from the international community then it would be successful. It doesn't and probably won't - it will be unsuccessful very quickly as a result.

It has no army, the Catalan police will be unlikely to defend it - it is completely down to the people to defend, who already aren't in complete agreement over the decision. It will be a weak and short-lived defence, especially as the separatist leaders are arrested, which we should expect within the next 24 hours.

It's a shame, because it deserves its independence - or at least a fair and democratic referendum like Scotland had. Spain has been completely undemocratic throughout all this, very disappointing.

Ostensibly yes. However, in the long term, unless a government is determined to rule in a draconian manner, then it will rumble on and there would at the least be concessions. I do not think the idea of an independent Catalonia will go away very easily.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The reward from the Spanish Prime Minister is he has fired the whole of the Catalonia regional assembly

Democracy ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here