Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Caskey on bench v plymouth

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Surely it is better to play 1st team football in a lower division than spend 2 or 3 years in the premiership reserves. If not, then why do premiership clubs loan their fringe players to lower league clubs? For experience.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Surely it is better to play 1st team football in a lower division than spend 2 or 3 years in the premiership reserves. If not, then why do premiership clubs loan their fringe players to lower league clubs? For experience.

Indeed, so we sell him to Arsenal for £xm and then get him back on loan for the next two seasons. I'm sure they would love him to be tutored by Gus in the meantime.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Wow, 2 sub appearances in his life, and we (NSC) have already decided that we have enough midfielders that we can accept the inevitable silly bid that is coming our way from Arsenal.

The getting-ahead-of-ourselves barometer is rising fast.

Indeed. It's quite cringeworthy to read sometimes.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
How long before there is talk of Jack Wilshire and Jake Forster-Caskey being the Golden Generation for England?

:laugh:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes of course. Plus he has the kudos of keeping Stains in the top division for a few seasons.
If we had a player good enough to command a starting place in a Premiership squad and pretty much carry ten passengers every single week, you'd absolutely idolise him.

Le Tiss is one of the good guys, IMO.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If we had a player good enough to command a starting place in a Premiership squad and pretty much carry ten passengers every single week, you'd absolutely idolise him.

Le Tiss is one of the good guys, IMO.

He is, but that doesn't give him thr right to preach what is best for other people's careers - people who might be driven to actually try to win something during their careers.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Wow, 2 sub appearances in his life, and we (NSC) have already decided that we have enough midfielders that we can accept the inevitable silly bid that is coming our way from Arsenal.

The getting-ahead-of-ourselves barometer is rising fast.

In fairness to everyone, the commentators on TV were saying that some very big clubs - and then he said it again and emphasised very - are looking at him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He is, but that doesn't give him thr right to preach what is best for other people's careers - people who might be driven to actually try to win something during their careers.
I would agree with that, I guess. But you wait, we'll be on the cusp of Premiership glory and a top 6 team will offer about £10m for one of our players, and there will be people on here trying to convince us why it's a bad move for the player.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
He was in the gym today alongside McNulty nursing an injured foot. Seems unlikely he'll play tomorrow id think.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would agree with that, I guess. But you wait, we'll be on the cusp of Premiership glory and a top 6 team will offer about £10m for one of our players, and there will be people on here trying to convince us why it's a bad move for the player.

Which as FANS of a club, with the myopia that entails, is entirely understandable.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Why is it? It's a discussion about a potentially very good player of ours and whether we as fans, think we can hang onto such a player, compared to days gone by when we would have sold him for peanuts just to survive.

Because we're talking about a player who's played about an hour of football going for laughable money. Least Walcott & Oxlade-Chamberlain had/have played consistently. The last player we built up to a ridiculous level was Jake Robinson and we all know how that ends. He may well be end up going for that sort of money, but, let's not get too carried about on an hour of football in two games that were basically over when he came on.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Because we're talking about a player who's played about an hour of football going for laughable money. Least Walcott & Oxlade-Chamberlain had/have played consistently. The last player we built up to a ridiculous level was Jake Robinson and we all know how that ends. He may well be end up going for that sort of money, but, let's not get too carried about on an hour of football in two games that were basically over when he came on.

I would agree with you about Jake. At that time we were desperate for a goalscoring hero. I think Caskey is a bit different. Good revues for his reserve football, but more notably for his international contribution so far and bigger clubs sniffing round, which Jake never had.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
As Gus said, let's not put pressure on him and expect too much. The lad shows a lot of promise, and has already been looked at by some top teams (Villa and Arsenal if reports are to be believed), but he's still only 16. Ultimately, if the offers come in for him, I think that if the offer is right, it'll be up to him to decide whether he wants to go on or not, which I agree with. I don't think it's right to hold players back if they can fulfill their potential elsewhere, and from what Poyet and Bloom have said, neither do they.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Careful ladies, we all thought John 'Judas' Bostock was the real deal. After all, every club in the world was supposedly tracking him and he captained England at all ages...and he was left footed.

What happened? He was clearly tapped up by Spurs but the FA like to turn a blind eye to this. We got £700k initially for him and he's rotting in their reserves.

I'm not saying Caskey will turn out like this as you'd hope he'll look at Bostock as an example of where it can go wrong, but you never know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here