Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Carol service faux pas

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
At my daughters Brownie carol service I made a slight Faux pas ..

During 'Hark the Heralds Angels sing' I got to 'we will fight' before being kicked in the shin by my wife .....

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I was at midnight mass some years ago....the choir started singing Away in a Manger and some pissed up bloke in the back started singing the "palace " version ....I also think his girfriend elbowed him to shut him up as it went something like.......

"...the little Lord Jesus, sat up and he said

we...uuuugh....ooow"

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
At my daughters Brownie carol service I made a slight Faux pas ..

During 'Hark the Heralds Angels sing' I got to 'we will fight' before being kicked in the shin by my wife .....

Was your faux pas also linking those words to the wrong song since the chant stems form 'Mary's Boy Child'.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I was at midnight mass some years ago....the choir started singing Away in a Manger and some pissed up bloke in the back started singing the "palace " version ....I also think his girfriend elbowed him to shut him up as it went something like.......

"...the little Lord Jesus, sat up and he said

we...uuuugh....ooow"

I did't know Dick Knight went to the same church as you..

Old Hadlothian

@san_miguel73
Jul 24, 2007
Borough of Crows
My little girl is playing "Mary" in the nativity tomorrow - my little piece of good fatherly advise was to boot the baby into the crowd at the end, reveal her Albion shirt whilst shouting "seagulls, seagulls" as loud as she can

Is this wrong !?!?!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I had a nasty moment the other week at my sons Saturday morning football, where I took my instinctive terrace reaction into the totally inappropriate world of U8's football.

Wild shot gets hit, and it flies in the direction of the dads. As usual, that's the moment for someone to show off their prowess, that they haven't lost it etc. However, it falls to the dad a couple to my right who goes to bring the ball down gracefully, but it hits his ankle and bounces about 5 yards away from him. I blurt out "ha ha, touch of a rapist".

The looks I got for that weren't pretty!!!

:shootself

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Was your faux pas also linking those words to the wrong song since the chant stems form 'Mary's Boy Child'.

you sir are correct ... it was indeed the above carol , but with my singing it could have been any number of others ....

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was thinking that. I don't know a Brighton song containing the words "we will fight" to the tune of "Hark the Herald Angels sing". I could be wrong (and I await enlightenment) but in the meantime I've made one up:
"Hark the herald angels sing,
We will fight, and then buy bling."
(Yeah, ok, it needs a bit of work.)

I agree with you though. If I was at a carol concert and the bloke next to me launched into a version of "Mary's boy child" (even with the correct words) when he should have been singing 'Hark the Herald Angels' I think I'd have switched pews sharpish.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
My little girl is playing "Mary" in the nativity tomorrow - my little piece of good fatherly advise was to boot the baby into the crowd at the end, reveal her Albion shirt whilst shouting "seagulls, seagulls" as loud as she can

Is this wrong !?!?!

In principle not wrong...but it could make her a hit on YouTube!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Unfortunately I wasn't there, but a few years ago an infants school nativity play in Yorkshire made the papers. It was one where the kids were asked to make up there own lines, in their natural dialogue, and at one point that went -
Joseph: Well Mary lass, 'ow's ar little baby Jesus then?
Mary: Eh Joseph, 'e's been a reet little boogger all day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here