Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carlos Baleba SINGS a 5-year deal

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Fabulous at Anfield on Sunday.

He has everything in his locker that our midfield has been so obviously lacking all season. Pace, power, awareness to recognise when he has space to drop a shoulder and beat the press.

Billy Gilmour's injury is a real shame for him (and I very much hope for his sake that he can get fit and regain full match fitness ahead of Scotland's three group stage defeats at the Euros), but the opportunity that it presents for Baleba's development will see it as a long term blessing, IMO.

Now that RDZ simply HAS to play the lad, we'll hopefully soon see what he is really capable of. Baffling that the Italian 'genius' has been thus far, so unable to get a tune out of him.
Agreed - that's two league games in a row he's been excellent after the Forest game as well. Still mystified why he wasn't played in the second leg against Roma when Gilmour and Gross were so dominated over there and we needed a more physical presence.

Baleba has got a much higher ceiling than Gilmour as far as I'm concerned and adds a lot more to our game. Looking forward to next season with Baleba as a first choice.

Jimmy Grimble

I was reluctant to say it because it is undoubtedly harsh on Gilmour, but I really hope that his injury proves to be a blessing in disguise for us.

I’ve said it before elsewhere but I’d be keen to try the Baleba Moder partnership (with Gross also in the XI orchestrating them) a few times in the run-in.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Another great performance against Liverpool, showing the potential we all hoped he had. He's ability to get the ball and drive forward, especially with his strength and deceptive pace over 20-30 yards is unique within the squad. It adds a different dimension to our game and maybe something we need to exploit more of in the run in and see how it goes.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Fabulous at Anfield on Sunday.

He has everything in his locker that our midfield has been so obviously lacking all season. Pace, power, awareness to recognise when he has space to drop a shoulder and beat the press.

Billy Gilmour's injury is a real shame for him (and I very much hope for his sake that he can get fit and regain full match fitness ahead of Scotland's three group stage defeats at the Euros), but the opportunity that it presents for Baleba's development will see it as a long term blessing, IMO.

Now that RDZ simply HAS to play the lad, we'll hopefully soon see what he is really capable of. Baffling that the Italian 'genius' has been thus far, so unable to get a tune out of him.
:D:D:D

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Re Gilmour I'm yet to truly believe he is nothing more than a Scottish Harry Winks. Winks, let's not forget, was at one time a darling of English football and being compared to the Barcelona midfield greats.
Baleba does have a much, much higher ceiling and for my money it'll be him plus A N Other starting in CM next season.

Mar 8, 2024
It does all feel a bit like when Caicedo broke into the side late in the season doesn't it? Baleba looks like he has everything to be our next big star off the production line given the right development, so lets hope he takes the opportunity.

I do feel some of the Gilmour criticism is unwarranted though, for me he has arguably been one of our most consistent performers this season

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
It does all feel a bit like when Caicedo broke into the side late in the season doesn't it? Baleba looks like he has everything to be our next big star off the production line given the right development, so lets hope he takes the opportunity.

I do feel some of the Gilmour criticism is unwarranted though, for me he has arguably been one of our most consistent performers this season
More like Biss breaking in tbh. More gradual & frankly error strewn. Caicedo appeared to be the finished article from the minute we recalled him

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Re Gilmour I'm yet to truly believe he is nothing more than a Scottish Harry Winks. Winks, let's not forget, was at one time a darling of English football and being compared to the Barcelona midfield greats.
Baleba does have a much, much higher ceiling and for my money it'll be him plus A N Other starting in CM next season.
I disagree on Gilmour. The performance against Marseille at home was as good as MacAllister's best games for us. Don't forget that MacAllister wasn't a regular until the 21-22 season, when he was 23, and he also had the benefit of playing alongside either Bissouma and/or Caicedo throughout his Albion career. Gilmour only turns 23 this summer and hasn't had the advantage of playing alonside similar enforcers.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Absolutely love those marauding runs..nothing better in football than that imho. Unit picking up the ball and just striding through the middle of the pitch.
Absolutely wonderful, but he really needs to improve the last part. He looks untouchable when striding through but then often follows it up with a poor pass or touch. I think that's what frustrates RDZ and has held him back.

He's got it though, and looks like he's going to be a great part of our future midfield.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Gilmour is a fantastic talent. On his game he's a beautiful footballer to watch. And he is young enough to really develop
But he will need to develop.
Right now his passing stats are exceptional. Which we can see game after game. But if we want to be at the level we are all starting believe we can be at, he is going to need to start contributing both defensively (he's basically in the very lowest percentiles Vs other CMs for things like tackles) and in the goals and assists columns.
I'm not writing him off, at all, but it's a couple of really important years for him.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Absolutely wonderful, but he really needs to improve the last part. He looks untouchable when striding through but then often follows it up with a poor pass or touch. I think that's what frustrates RDZ and has held him back.

He's got it though, and looks like he's going to be a great part of our future midfield.
It's almost like he's surprised how far up field he's got and panics. Love it though.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
A Baleba , Gilmour partnership could be the way forward.
As others have said he’s great at breaking through the press due to his pace but he needs to ensure he then picks the right pass as he can then give the ball away cheaply in an advanced position and so leave us open to a break.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Gilmour only turns 23 this summer and hasn't had the advantage of playing alonside similar enforcers.
Spot on.

This shouldn't turn into a Baleba vs Gilmour vs Gross debate. They all have different qualities.

Personally I think both Gilmour and Gross could flourish if they had Baleba + 1 new ball winning CM behind them and were allowed to float around and find the space. They should be fighting for the same position.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
An up & down first season, and then a jump in more consistent quality for the second season fits in with how we do our transfer business. We take risks on player just slightly before they are Prem ready, we go for the transfer before others are willing too. It might mean an iffy first 6 months or season, but next we’ll see Carlos really make his mark. Just like Caicedo & Biss.

Last edited:

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I thought he did a lot of things well and like the other I agree his runs were really good, once he has developed the final ball, he’ll be excellent.

My concern though, was that Liverpool had the run of our midfield, now partly that was due to Ali Mac playing so well but also, neither Baleba nor Gross did much to stop that. We can admire his defending absolutely, but controlling midfield and getting the ball forward is a part of that job too, and we hardly had any possession or control against Liverpool.

I agree with the others, it doesn’t need to be Baleba v Gilmour, both have massively different attributes which honestly would compliment each other really well.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Don't know why people seem to be pitting Baleba against Gilmour.

They have completely different skill sets and frankly they even each other out to a certain extent - Gilmour has better close control and passing, Baleba is faster, more powerful and direct.

Gilmour-Baleba is the midfield combination that looks most promising to me in the short to mid term, if the rumours that Gross will return to Germany are to be believed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here