Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Care workers petition

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
Guys we have 3 days to get this signed online. Can everybody help me with this please? Although we only have 30 online signatures we do have 500 paper signatures. But everything helps.

The Green's decision to bring in a new 'liveable wage' for care workers has quite frankly failed. Halifax Care (the agency who was most affected by this) has lost 5 carers due to the cuts to funding. As well as this one care workers has had to increase her hours to 45 and now states she can no longer cope. And one other care worker has said she will leave once she has finished her qualification.

The e-petition has gone wrong because the Greens wouldn't allow the original wording. So here is what was submitted to begin with:

'The Council pays its own care team £21.50 per hour to run their service but only pays Providers £14.50 to run their service. Brighton and Hove Council have cancelled their incentive to companies to provide consistent care, for example ensuring clients have the same care workers regularly.

Good, experienced care workers are leaving companies across the city because weekend rates have been cancelled within the 15% pay cut to Providers. Care companies who have had a good reputation for supplying consistent care just cannot continue to provide that standard of care to old and vulnerable people. Care workers are now expected to have the skills and carry out a wider range of basic nursing tasks.'

The link is below:

http://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=338&RPID=5720784&HPID=5720784

We want this to go to the full council meeting, and to achieve this we need another 750 signatures. The paper based one can go up till the 26th September. It's a tall order but we're still going to continue to fight.

Thanks

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Have signed.

A bit time consuming having to register etc etc, but having worked in the Care industry most of my working life (thankfully not in it now) I am very aware of how dedicated the average care-worker is......and seriously underpaid. Absolute salt of the earth.

I wish you luck and success with your petition.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't understand the body of the original petition. I'm not quite sure how ethical it is to get people to sign a petition with a different motion.

How much are the carers being paid per hour?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
My Mum died last week, the last three months she has spent in a Nursing Home. Prior to the Nursing Home, for the previous 10 years she was looked after by Care Workers. Some have been tremendous going above and beyond, but all doing a difficult job well.
Having to pay for their own travel, removes from some, even more of their already poor hourly rate!
I have signed the Petition, I would also like to thank all the Care Workers of Brighton for looking after my Mum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here