Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Cardinal - dark Canadian detective series

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I meant in general, possibly because English is spoken across the world?

Our Swedish mates (Lidkoping and Stockholm) speak and understand English really well, they watch English TV programmes such as Midsomer Murders on Swedish TV with no subtitles.

Yup, its most certainly the reason. People from big countries are in general less interested in learning foreign languages. If you can speak English you can communicate with like 2-3 billion people and get employed anywhere in the world etc, so there's no real need in picking up a second language, and no need for teaching a second language on a broad level either.

In Sweden we start to study English in second grade when we are 7 or 8 years old, since its pretty difficult to get by in a globalised world if you can only communicate and understand in Swedish. And obviously as a small country we are importing a lot of culture from the US/UK.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Really enjoying this final series - but why do all the blokes talk in that deep, gravelly, mumbling, almost-whispering, style?

Notice a few previous posters referring to The Bridge - might be interested to know that there is a similar British-French equivalent called The Tunnel (about serious crimes committed in the Channel Tunnel) which mean the French and British police have to co-operate on the cases. There are three series.

It was blatantly copied from The Bridge - the French female cop is clearly autistic - but is actually really good; in fact, as good, IMHO.

However, my favourite of all these 'dark' crime dramas remains the French one, 'Spiral', of which there are about 7 series.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Really enjoying this final series - but why do they all talk in that deep, gravelly, mumbling, almost-whispering, style?

Notice a few previous posters referring to The Bridge - might be interested to know that there is a similar British-French equivalent called The Tunnel (about serious crimes committed in the Channel Tunnel) which mean the French and British police have to co-operate on the cases. There are three series.

It was blatantly copied from The Bridge - the French female cop is clearly autistic - but is actually really good; in fact, as good, IMHO.

Obviously subjective, but I thought that The Tunnel was a poor relative of The Bridge.

All down to opinions, I guess.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It started with Wallender for me (all three versions, including the Kenneth Brannagh version ... quality), great days, Spiral is also amazing. The one I never watched was Borgen ... I must’ve been busy. Need to buy the dvd boxset.

Spiral is right up there. Borgen was gripping, and with a new series on the way I think Netflix are starting from the beginning soon.

Beck, Those Who Kill (S1), The Team (S1), Before We Die, Springfloden and Spin are also worth a punt, but still live in the shadows of The Bridge and The Killing, imho.

Oh yeah, forgot Braquo.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
No mention of the many excellent "Walter Presents" series on Channel 4 ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here