Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff sack their manager

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I don't think we need to worry about Hughton, he's the sort of man who won't just leave a club who are giving such autonomous control as he's enjoying here (from the look of it, anyway). He's bringing in the players he wants to, keeping the players he wants to, the board obviously believe in him because they're so prepared to back him and he's got no worries about an owner sacking him for absolutely no reason as he had at Newcastle. If he continues doing the job he's doing, he's got nothing to worry about and I really don't see him wanting to upsticks and leave for anything but a stable Premier League club because there's every chance he'll make us that within the next year or two. If West Brom dumped Pulis, maybe I'd be worried about what they could offer Hughton but generally, I really don't see him as the type of man to be poached, or to want to randomly job hop.

Yeah completely agree. The only time in his career that CH has quit one club for another was when he moved from Birmingham to Norwich. Obviously an upward step at the time but the fact that Carson Yeung was in charge at Birmingham and was about to be arrested for money laundering also probably had something to do with his decision. Can't imagine that him and his cronies were / are particularly good to work for, plus Yeung continually lied about how much cash he was going to give managers for players. I think CH can be excused from jumping that ship.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yeah completely agree. The only time in his career that CH has quit one club for another was when he moved from Birmingham to Norwich. Obviously an upward step at the time but the fact that Carson Yeung was in charge at Birmingham and was about to be arrested for money laundering also probably had something to do with his decision. Can't imagine that him and his cronies were / are particularly good to work for, plus Yeung continually lied about how much cash he was going to give managers for players. I think CH can be excused from jumping that ship.

I was going to call out Birmingham, but I think the real surprise was him going there in the first place. Managers want to work though, I suppose, and it's a big club with a big following so it can be forgiven. I really don't think we've anything to worry about in terms of him looking to leave, the club is so well set up to be a success, there are no external fights going on, no striving for anything. Quality stadium, quality training grounds, rich owner, quality squad, adoring fanbase. What more do you need?!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
That is so weird. In the last week, Newport, Swansea and now Cardiff have all sacked their managers.

South Wales football fans must be very influential in getting rid of their club's gaffers.

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
That is still a shocking number. It shows that owners are as poor in their decision making as the managers they keep firing. Tony Bloom isn't perfect-hiring Hyppia after the run of results he had. Bloom is smart enough to have learned from that (we hope).

Agreed. And he's done pretty well other than Hyppia. Poyet did very well although it was a shame he left the way he did, Garcia did as well as he could with the squad and injuries we had and Hughton has done an exceptional job.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Birmingham job was great job, great people around the club but the Owners were never there as Carston Yeung was in court in Hong Kong for Money Laundering or something similar. The club had a ''Transfer Embargo'' at that time so his hands were really tied and it would have been difficult to move the club forward at that point in time...................In that position it is a ''no brainer'' when a Premiership Club asks to speak to you. Birmingham were handsomely compensated for Chris move to Norwich so they got what they needed at the time which was much needed funds.

The situation at Brighton is very different. The Chairman and the club share the same goal as he does of getting to the Premiership. And the club are giving him a fighting chance of getting there in terms of investing in the squad.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Did I dream it, or did Trollope turn down coming to us with CH to go to Cardiff ?

Paul didn't turn Brighton down for Cardiff. Most clubs actually don't allow you to bring a large entourage of staff with you.

I think Mark Hughes always takes a large amount of staff wherever he goes but for the most part managers are not allowed to because clubs like to have some sort of continuity and Brighton had Nathan Jones at the club at the time.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
The foreign owners thing is a bit of a misnomer as I would expect all can't devote 100% of their time to their English club and therefore rely on 'advisors/management consultants' to inform/advise them. They constantly do a terrible job.

From a playing perspective you can't run a football club like a business but they never learn

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
Warnock...hmm.

I wonder if there is a manager so loathsome that, if put in charge of your club, that you would give up your season ticket or even stop supporting...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Warnock...hmm.

I wonder if there is a manager so loathsome that, if put in charge of your club, that you would give up your season ticket or even stop supporting...

I might be in the minority here but I quite like Warnock's abrasive style and you have to respect his record. I would have loved him to be our manager in the dark days although I wouldn't any more obviously. Still got what it takes to sort out a troubled club too, look at the miracle he pulled off at Rotherham. Cardiff will be a much tougher proposition now, shame we haven't already played them away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here