Card charges - excessive charges to be banned next year

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Wonder if that means an end to that £2 charge we get collared for when buying tickets online from the club ???

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That isn't a credit card charge, so probably not.

They mean the £5 that BA etc charge you, just for using something other than a debit card

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
According to insider, the lack of charge in the shop and the £2 charge online is less than it costs them, i.e. they are subsidising the use of credit and debit cards. I would suggest they'd have a very good case (assuming that is true) to argue that the £2 booking fee is not an "excessive charge".

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
According to insider, the lack of charge in the shop and the £2 charge online is less than it costs them, i.e. they are subsidising the use of credit and debit cards. I would suggest they'd have a very good case (assuming that is true) to argue that the £2 booking fee is not an "excessive charge".
Aren't you confusing the booking fee with the credit card surcharge?

Either way you're wrong about the booking charge, it is just profiteering if not by the club then by the people who provide the system and yes I could do it better.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Aren't you confusing the booking fee with the credit card surcharge?

I don't know. I thought the booking fee was used to cover the surcharge, well, not even cover it, but at least lessen the burden on the club.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This is about companies charging excessively for use of a credit card, rather than a blanket 'booking fee.'

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
According to insider:

it's a fee charged to internet, fax and telephone bookings to cover a number of charges - including p&p as well. It all gets very complicated, as the fee varies depending on type of card and how you buy (internet or over the phone). The booking charge was deemed a fair charge, but actually the club loses money on a number of transactions, and overall makes a loss against charges incurred for these sales - so it is not some money-making scam. The best way to apply to avoid the charge is by post.
Booking Fee (Pt 4))

No, it has not been removed. There are costs associated with all ticket purchases made online, regardless of whether a paper ticket is issued and/or sent by post - including credit card charges and a royalty payment to the software company for each transaction. Unlike other clubs and events, the club only charge £2 per transaction, not per ticket, and as a result, for multi-ticket purchases the club actually ends up subsidising online purchases.
£2 Booking fee. Has it been removed yet?

My understanding is that a royalty is charged on ALL online transactions; credit card charges are charged on all transactions paid for by credit card. As to the sum or percentage of the royalty, I am not privvy to that information (but understand that overall the club do subsidise this figure, as they do credit card payments made in store, and overall make a loss when all costs are taken into account).
£2 Booking Fee Part II

it is not a "stealth revenue raising exercise" - when all costs are taking into account, the club still subsidises the overall costs associated with the online/phone transactions as opposed to over-the-counter transactions.
£2 Booking Fee Part III

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
This is about companies charging excessively for use of a credit card, rather than a blanket 'booking fee.'

Although on BBC this morning they said the government would be looking very carefully into companies that called it an admin fee. Which I think is more of a con - see ticketmaster

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
they will have to cover "booking fees" otherwise all current credit card surcharges will just be renamed.

as far as BHA ticket fees go, some say they could do better than the current providr for less. this misses the point, you arent providing the services and if the current provider is charging x per transaction.

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
This was as much to do with transparency, the £2 fee however you want to dress it up as will have to go they will no longer be allowed to add it on ad the end of the transaction prices need to be shown inclusive of any fair charge for using a credit card, so all that will happen is they will stick a pound on to every ticket,thats why ryanair and the like are crowing because they don't like being transparent with the prices that they charge.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton

This argument is rubbish. A credit card company will charge a fixed % of the transaction and debit cards are charged at a fixed amount.
I cant remember the exact amount but debit card charges are about 25p and the credit card range si think form 2-4% depending on the card issuer ( american express are always at the higher end which is why lots of smaller retailers wont accept them)

But what this ignores is the basic fact that the club has to sell the tickets somhow and the most cost effective way is by electronic means. All forms of sales will incur a cost to the club and to suggest that buying via the internet using a debit card is not to the benefit of the club is ludicrous.

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
This argument is rubbish. A credit card company will charge a fixed % of the transaction and debit cards are charged at a fixed amount.
I cant remember the exact amount but debit card charges are about 25p and the credit card range si think form 2-4% depending on the card issuer ( american express are always at the higher end which is why lots of smaller retailers wont accept them)

But what this ignores is the basic fact that the club has to sell the tickets somhow and the most cost effective way is by electronic means. All forms of sales will incur a cost to the club and to suggest that buying via the internet using a debit card is not to the benefit of the club is ludicrous.

excatly scampi,what sort of business would ryanair have if they stopped selling tickets over the internet, company's do profiteer from these charges thats a fact.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I thought this was about bans for Ashley Barnes etc

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I posted that comment from memory of the ATC replies. I have posted the replies in full which make it clearer that the £2 booking fee (per transaction, not per ticket) is not just about the credit card fee, but also software rights and so on. I don't know if it's a money making thing or not, I'm just giving the clubs position as relayed by insider.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This argument is rubbish.

its a fee for using the processing software, which includes the CC/debt card fee. its a fixedd fee per transaction, you can easily see how the club is subsidising somewhere. if you brought say 4 tickets on CC with 2% fee, postage and envelope, thats a cost of well over £2.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think booking fees are more annoying than card charges, how can you possibly justify charging people more than a few pence for purchasing a PRINT-AT-HOME ticket? I'd want the ticket company to pay ME for using MY ink and paper.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Debit card transaction costs are between 10p and 20p each time. Credit card transaction costs are a %. High street retailers like to give the impression that these costs are absorbed by them as goodwill where in fact they have already been factored into the price you pay at the till.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Debit card transaction costs are between 10p and 20p each time. Credit card transaction costs are a %. High street retailers like to give the impression that these costs are absorbed by them as goodwill where in fact they have already been factored into the price you pay at the till.

but of course you never get a discount if you pay in cash.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not going to get too wound up over TWO POUNDS, and at least as insider says, they are charging it per transaction, rather than per ticket.

Given that I pay with a DEBIT card, and no tickets are actually produced or posted (just added to our smart cards), they are making £1.80 on that transaction, though. On others they'll lose out though, and its a lot simpler to charger everybody the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports