Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car Tyre Sidewall Damage Advice Plz...

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Now, normally I would say ANY sidewall damage to the tyre then it should be binned as it's not safe, however I just had an argument with a kerb and have taken a *small* chunk out of my passenger front. As you can see it's about the size/depth of a biro point and you can't see any cords underneath, is this tyre still safe to drive on if say I stuck the flap back down?

UIfiNl.jpg

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Now, normally I would say ANY sidewall damage to the tyre then it should be binned as it's not safe, however I just had an argument with a kerb and have taken a *small* chunk out of my passenger front. As you can see it's about the size/depth of a biro point and you can't see any cords underneath, is this tyre still safe to drive on if say I stuck the flap back down?

UIfiNl.jpg

Go for a spin on the A23 take it up to about 120mph brake hard down to a stop, if she doesnt blow should be fine:D

dac1980

Sep 20, 2011
There has been a change in MOT requirements of late to say if you have to pull the flap of the tyre to expose the chords and the cut is less than 25mm then it will pass the MOT so considering this is essentially a test for safety then your tyre should be ok.

(i accept no responsibility for loss or damage due to your tyre bursting lol :lol:)

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Shakes head and tuts. You're gonna need four new tyres plus balancing and tracking. It's gonna cost ya.

dac1980

Sep 20, 2011
Shakes head and tuts. You're gonna need four new tyres plus balancing and tracking. It's gonna cost ya.

Don't forget the brake pads that are down to metal and the leaking shocks (after they have sprayed wd40 all over them)

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
There has been a change in MOT requirements of late to say if you have to pull the flap of the tyre to expose the chords and the cut is less than 25mm then it will pass the MOT so considering this is essentially a test for safety then your tyre should be ok.

(i accept no responsibility for loss or damage due to your tyre bursting lol :lol:)

Thats been the law since the Construction and Use Regs 1986

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
So long as the cords are not exposed you should be ok, don't glue the flap back down unless you are using rubber cement. Keep an eye on the damage to make sure a carbuncle (bulge) doesn't appear in the coming weeks due to separation internally, if one does appear get the spare on straight away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here