Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Car Insurance NCD help please.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wonder if anyone can help on this question please?

Mrs.1066 has now bought her own car. She has been a named driver (named as main driver in fact) on our shared car for years. I'm the policy holder on the insurance on that thing.

In getting her own insurance, our insurance company won't give her our 11 years NCD. She basically has to start from scratch in building up NCD in her own name as policy holder.

A quick search around t'internet suggests this is normal practice regarding NCD.
Is it always the case?, or does anyone have any experience of getting NCD to go with a named driver onto their own policy, and if so, can recommend where to look please?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Policy holder should be the ‘main’ driver really. But yes only they accrue NCDs , not other drivers.

Have you shopped around ? Or even compared the different if she had 11 year NCD ? May not even be worth worrying to much about

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There are some companies (Admiral is the famous one from the telly but could well be more now) who offer discounts when you insure both cars together. Worth googling and running a couple of quotes to be sure, especially if your current cover doesn't give a multi car discount.

EDIT - [MENTION=24507]Bodian[/MENTION] probably gives a better reason

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
We used to swap the policyholder over every three years or so, as you retained the NCD for that length of time. So, we both had full NCD. We forgot on one year, and lost the lot for me - so I have had to be the the named driver with Mrs Bodian as the policyholder ever since. I think Mrs 1066 will have to start from scratch I'm afraid.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When I was the policy holder, my husband was a named driver, he wanted another vehicle for a while. The AA offered three years NCD for him. Maybe some companies still do?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
https://www.confused.com/car-insurance/guides/no-claims-bonus-explained

Can named drivers build up no-claims bonus?

Yes. Some insurers offer what’s called a named driver no-claims bonus. This means you get a discount if you're insured as a named driver on someone else's policy and haven't claimed.

If you've built up a no-claims discount as a named driver and you want your own cover, your existing insurer should consider your discount. This discount should apply when transferring your policy over.

But if you’re thinking of switching insurers, check that your new insurer factors in your no-claims discount – not all do.

But unhelfpully doesn't say which ones - but seems worth asking/searching.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks all for the answers so far.

Regarding multi car policy. Our insurance company on our shared car is giving her a discount (but zero NCD) on her own car policy because of our policy where she's a named driver, so effectively she's getting a multi car discount there I suppose?

To complicate things a bit further. A few months ago I had to get my own little car (in preparing for us becoming a 2 car family) and insured it separately with the same company as our shared car, but didn't put Mrs.1066 down as a named driver (don't ask :rolleyes: ). Our shared car will now be moved on now that Mrs.1066 has her own car.

For future reference, what would be the best way to manage a multi car policy discount?, given the two cars will be up for renewal a few months apart.
Is our first step to put Mrs.1066 as a named driver on my car next time around for starters?

Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I've recently bought a mid life crisis and the insurer will acknowledge the NCD I have built up on my main car policy with another provider.

That said I'm old(ish) at 50 so a group 50 car is costing less than £200 per year to insure with effectively no no-claims. The main car is also group 50 and is £450+ for comparative purposes.

I guess your Mrs will be starting from scratch unfortunately.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Not specific to the OP's question but a word of warning to drivers who pick up motoring offences :

If you ever get caught speeding, jumping a red light etc and cop an unfortunate 3 points on your licence it is imperative that you inform your insurers as if you don't you will effectively invalidate your insurance policy.

A friend of mine was caught speeding on Brighton seafront in March of this year and copped a 3 point penalty. Fine paid and 3 points added to his licence. Last month he was in an accident and his insurers failed to pay out for his repairs as they checked and said he had not advised them of his speeding fine 4 months ago. We all know this is often hidden in the small print, but how many people ever inform their insurance co if they get 3 points?

This is the 4th person I've heard this happen to. I checked my policy wording today and YES, hidden away in the small print it clearly states that any motoring offence must be advised to my insurance co otherwise my policy is invalid.

The moral of story is to check the small print! Be warned.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not specific to the OP's question but a word of warning to drivers who pick up motoring offences :

If you ever get caught speeding, jumping a red light etc and cop an unfortunate 3 points on your licence it is imperative that you inform your insurers as if you don't you will effectively invalidate your insurance policy.

A friend of mine was caught speeding on Brighton seafront in March of this year and copped a 3 point penalty. Fine paid and 3 points added to his licence. Last month he was in an accident and his insurers failed to pay out for his repairs as they checked and said he had not advised them of his speeding fine 4 months ago. We all know this is often hidden in the small print, but how many people ever inform their insurance co if they get 3 points?

This is the 4th person I've heard this happen to. I checked my policy wording today and YES, hidden away in the small print it clearly states that any motoring offence must be advised to my insurance co otherwise my policy is invalid.

He might want to check with the insurance ombudsman because I'm sure there is case history whereby you are only required to notify them at renewal of minor speeding convictions or changes that would have a bearing on the renewal (although I don't think that would apply to vehicle modifications). A lot depends on the small print. Also, the ombudsman would also take a view as to whether that breach materially affected the claim. If your friend was speeding when the crash occurred it may well do but if he was hit by another vehicle then maybe not (although if the latter, I assume he'd be claiming against them).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've recently bought a mid life crisis and the insurer will acknowledge the NCD I have built up on my main car policy with another provider.

That said I'm old(ish) at 50 so a group 50 car is costing less than £200 per year to insure with effectively no no-claims. The main car is also group 50 and is £450+ for comparative purposes.

I guess your Mrs will be starting from scratch unfortunately.

I think you're right. It's a lot of years since I was involved in motor insurance, but from my own recent experience, you can share one NCD over two cars if it's the same owner/named driver. However, a NCD can only be used by one person, the policy holder.

Some multiple insurers allow you to 'share' NCD with named drivers etc but only if you stay with the same insurer. Sorry :shrug:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Thanks all for the answers so far.

Regarding multi car policy. Our insurance company on our shared car is giving her a discount (but zero NCD) on her own car policy because of our policy where she's a named driver, so effectively she's getting a multi car discount there I suppose?

To complicate things a bit further. A few months ago I had to get my own little car (in preparing for us becoming a 2 car family) and insured it separately with the same company as our shared car, but didn't put Mrs.1066 down as a named driver (don't ask :rolleyes: ). Our shared car will now be moved on now that Mrs.1066 has her own car.

For future reference, what would be the best way to manage a multi car policy discount?, given the two cars will be up for renewal a few months apart.
Is our first step to put Mrs.1066 as a named driver on my car next time around for starters?

Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent.

With Admiral, we added one car to a multi car policy (it was at that time the only car on the policy) and when the second vehicle came up for renewal it was added. My wife and I were each the main driver on one vehicle and the named driver on the other hence we both kept a NCD.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

But no need to declare a speeding and subsequent Speed Awareness Course, as it’s neither a conviction, endorsement or fixed penalty notice.

Unless an insurer specifically asks. Apparently Admiral ask.

A few go generic fishing with a have you committed any motoring offences.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
But no need to declare a speeding and subsequent Speed Awareness Course, as it’s neither a conviction, endorsement or fixed penalty notice.

You can take the racer out of the boy :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You can take the racer out of the boy :wink:

Lovely to see you again the other day, show off.

BA6FF897-03FB-4F74-B0B9-20756A177D4D.png

Jealous.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham

I believe (some) insurers now ask if you have attended a speed awareness course or words to that effect.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

They no longer ask about SA courses at Admiral after a hypothetical question with their on boarding team a few months back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
25+ years in the industry in Pricing & Underwriting so generally been the one responsible for setting the strategy for these sorts of things...

As stated by others NCD is accrued by the policyholder and as a named driver you have no entitlement of your own. Many of the smaller players (mostly ex Lloyds syndicates) have generally accepted evidence of "claim free driving" even if it's not NCD and given an introductory discount. This is normally heavily restricted in that it would be capped at the equivalent level of 2 or 3 years NCD and is non-transferable (so you need to stay with that supplier for 4+ years to earn an NCD that you can then get a decent discount elsewhere).

I've been out of this particular insurance line for a few years now (still insurance but not cars anymore) so things may have changed (especially given the GIPP - General Insurance Pricing Practices - last year which forced companies to rethink how to attract and retain customers because the rules changed so much), but worth talking to a traditional high street broker (not the aggregator sites but some one who can actually give advice) who will know who is still giving intro discounts. Look for underwriters like Zenith, Chaucer, Sabre as these brands often still use some of these more "niche" techniques to gain business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here