car help please?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seggers

Nov 10, 2009
Worthing
Hey,

Need to change my cars wheel but was wandering if its a must to use a torque wrench to tighten the nuts? Or is it fine to drive when done without the use of a torque wrench?

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
you dont have to use a torque wrench, do them up till you are happy with them, if you are unsure take it to a lcoal garage and ask them to check them for you for peace of mind

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I have never used a torque wrench when changing a wheel. Always made sure they were foot tight and never had an issue.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Always hand tighten all nuts while up in the air, and make sure wheel is squarely on.

Once on floor I use a wrench to tighten them all by hand and then I stand on the wrench arm for all the nuts in turn. Never had to use a torque.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Ideally torque up to about 110nm if you have a torque wrench, or alternatively stop by your local garage or ATS etc and they should do it for you. If you over tighten the wheel nuts they can be a nightmare to remove later on :)

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
A mate of mine who was a bit mutton changed a wheel on the motorway due to a puncture, and forgot to nip the nuts up before carrying on, and was a bit preturbed when the wheel he had just put on overtook him on a long downward stretch of motorway :mad:

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Overtightning is nearly as bad as undertightening as forcing the conical face of the nut / bolt into the wheel rim can cause damage / fracturing. If you're not sure try to use the same amount of effort in doing the nuts up as you used in undoing them. Check them again after a short run just to be certain. Torqueing up is really the correct way though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports