only1robbiereinalt

Oct 7, 2005
C'mon then, own up whos got them?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
no

aside which I'm enjoying the summer sun cruising on my Lambretta . . . . . . . . and theres a fox tail hanging off tha ariel already :eek: :lolol:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Did any one unfortunately hear Jeremy Vine yesterday on BBCR2 and his "listeners" who texted, emailed and rang in about car flags...Someone called to say he counted 40 odd (or was it 50 I can't remember) at the side of the road and they should be banned due to the damage they could create at motorway speeds!! Or the man that called in to say that they are bad for the environment as they create drag which means your car used 1ltr more of petrol per somethings or other miles...

I do like R2 most of the time but Jeremy Vine is R2's answer to the Sun to be honest!!

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
DannyBhoy said:
How the hell!!!!! can you be a chav if you have a england flag on your car???

Rant over!!!

England flags: patriotic or plain chav?
by SARAH SANDS, Daily Mail 10:16am 1st June 2006

First it was the scaffolding lorries. Then the white vans, followed by the cabbies.

Numbers swelled among the plucky Vauxhall Astras.

Occasionally it fluttered BMWs and the odd self-satisfied Range Rover. As the World Cup excitement builds, middle-class households are wrestling with the question: should you or shouldn't you fly the St George flag?

Paul Hayward wrote in his sports column that the England flag has been rescued ideologically from far-Right bigots. Well, it may be OK politically, but what we, the timid herd, would like to know is whether the St George's flag is OK, you know, socially?

The issue is turning councils against cabbies, children against parents, neighbour against neighbour. Yesterday, Tesco was forced to backtrack and apol-ogise after it had banned its lorry drivers from displaying the flag on their cabs.

A London resident pours his heart out in an internet chat room: 'My neighbour complains that flying the flag causes yobbish behaviour and lowers the house prices in the area.

"I still can't work out how being patriotic can lower house prices. I'm English, I'm proud and I can't wait to see her face when I get hold of the biggest flag and hang it from the upstairs room."

An indignant sympathiser responds: "What's your neighbour's name? Hyacinth Bucket?"

I phone Foxtons estate agents to check out the house price theory, but this usually publicity-conscious company does not call me back. It must be the raw sensitivity of the subject.

It is true that the middle classes are wary of any kind of statement, particularly of a festive nature. It is why Christmas decorations are a minefield of modern etiquette with, you know, classy people disdaining any such exhibitionism.

And political activists are always disappointed by people's reluctance to put stickers in their windows. (I have noticed in London that the social exception to this is the Liberal Democrats. I suppose the name cannot offend anyone if nobody knows what it stands for.)

It seems to me that the way to move the flag up the social scale is through children, who have no taste at all, and via that very middle-class notion that something is acceptable if it's funny.

I witnessed one such chink as a voice wafted over a large suburban garden. "I know, it's hilarious! We have bought three flags. We are decking the car out in them. What's wrong with that? It's a hoot!"

However, in the next street, a husband was berated by his wife when he turned up with a fistful of flags and a large inflatable hammer. "No way are we putting those up! Are you mad?"

I have been conducting my own small social survey on the England flag. First, I visited the patriotic East End of London. The strike rate was a flag on roughly one in every 25 cars. The drivers were usually male, young and of mixed ethnicity.

The British Lion pub made the football terraces look listless. Flags, bunting, names of players, televisions suspended as if this were the World Cup command centre. A regular eyed me warily: 'Are you from Hackney Council?'

During the last World Cup, Hackney and other dour councils apparently attempted a crackdown. This time, Blackpool cabbies are complaining about censorship after the town council reiterated its ban on them wearing any clothing adorned with the St George Cross.

The good-natured, middle-aged manager of the British Lion pub, David Cronin, says: "It is good to be able to fly the flag without repercussions — it doesn't exclude anyone. We have had foreign supporters in the pub. We have had women. Scots can come in."

In Tower Hamlets, cab driver, father of two and Ross Kemp looka-like David Camilleri is hanging precariously from his top window, edging an England flag along a Buckingham Palace-sized flagpole.

His ground-floor windows are entirely red and white. His car is red and white. His dog looks as if he soon will be. If England continue to perform as well as they did against Hungary in the warm-up game on Tuesday, Mr Camilleri reckons he will give some serious attention to decking out the whole house.

Mr Camilleri says: "I work in the West End and they're not supporting anything over there. I think we should celebrate. It is about the football and about England. I am half Maltese but I get excited."

My field agents report that in Manchester even children's pushchairs are draped in England flags. Scotland, obviously, doesn't celebrate for reasons of ill will rather than good taste. Motorway traffic is generally more patriotic than town cars.

The place where flags dwindle hopelessly is the London borough of Kensington and Chelsea. The occasional pub, a perky window cleaner's van, a window decoration that turns out to be a sign of the Red Cross and, curiously, a funeral car. Otherwise, no curly red and white wigs, no 'Theo' T-shirts, no flags.

The historian and Chelsea resident Andrew Roberts skirts round the class issue. "Perhaps we're more of a rugby borough than football? Our builders here do fly them, though." This is not a ringing endorsement.

At the Belgravia pub off Eaton Square, Martin O'Boyle is an oasis of vulgar gaiety in a desert of good taste: "Well, you have to, don't you? It's a good thing to do."

So why are none of his neighbours flying flags? He jerks his head: "Over there, you have millionaires and politicians. They don't fly flags."

The political commentator Frank Johnson, who lives a stone's throw from Sloane Square (and a universe away from the East End, where he grew up), is remorseful about the flag-free streets.

"We will start flying the St George flag immediately," he vows. "The trouble is there are not enough chavs in Chelsea. Even my wife isn't one, so I have to be chav enough for two."

The Belgravia-based designer Nicholas Haslam is uncompromising in his social guidance. He says his chief objection to the flag of St George is that it should be St Peter's: "St George is a bogus saint. Look at Westminster Abbey, where the site was originally consecrated by St Peter.

"St Peter is the English saint."

Apart from that, he says, football itself is socially suspect. "Fighting is naff, and football is the naffest form of fighting.

"Having said that, the colours are quite pretty and it doesn't look too aggressively nylon. And I like it when the flags fly from cars — they look like triumphal chariots. It's only when houses are decked out in flags that I take issue.

"Mind you, does anybody have taste any more? Taste has gone out of the window. Nobody has it — except, of course, me."

Personally, I love the early sightings of the England flag. I predict every tenth car will be a chariot once the World Cup is under way. Blame the children, blame the builders, but hang out your flag with pride.

At last we are overcoming post-Empire guilt. The English can stop apologising. We want our national identity back.

Ironically, it is our immigrants who are encouraging us to lift up our heads. Asian newsagents who come from flag-flying cultures urge us to display some national pride. There is a fruit and veg store near my home flying an Iranian flag (they're in the World Cup too) next to that of St George.

It may have been tactful to drop the terrace chants ('Two World Wars and one World Cup') but the flag is here to stay.

Be it a builder's van or a BMW or a bicycle, bring it on.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I am English.
I am proud to be English.
I support England.
Not only do I have two St George Flags on my car I also have a large flag on my house.
I will be patriotic towards my country. If and when they get knocked out I will remove my flag.
If people are offended at the flag on my house or on my car they can F*UCK OFF.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Downloaded Penguin said:
I am English.
I support England.
Not only do I have two St George Flags on my car I also have a large flag on my house.
I will be patriotic towards my country. If and when they get knocked out I will remove my flag.
If people are offended at the flag on my house or on my car they can F*UCK OFF.

Good for you - i like a bit of patriotism....its just not a legal defence when your car flag spears some little old lady down the high street...;) :lol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Downloaded Penguin said:
I am English.
I support England.
If people are offended at the flag on my house or on my car they can F*UCK OFF

I am English.
I support England.
I do not want to look like a Sun reading retarded fuckwit and lower the tone of a pleasant neighbourhood by plastering everything in site with the national flag. My beliefs and opinions do not change and neither will my behaviour just because a bunch of over paid primadonnas are representing our country at a football tournament.
If people are offended by my normal approach to being proud of my nationality they can F*UCK OFF

besides which the Wifes Australian and she won't have a George cross hanging from the bedroom window :lolol:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
zefarelly said:
I am English.
I support England.
I do not want to look like a Sun reading retarded fuckwit and lower the tone of a pleasant neighbourhood by plastering everything in site with the national flag. My beliefs and opinions do not change and neither will my behaviour just because a bunch of over paid primadonnas are representing our country at a football tournament.
If people are offended by my normal approach to being proud of my nationality they can F*UCK OFF

besides which the Wifes Australian and she won't have a George cross hanging from the bedroom window :lolol:

You seem to be rather image conscious though, god forbid the day you are caught reading a tabloid....

If you want to be patriotic, have a flag. If you don't, then don't have one! Simple as that surely, and not a 'fashion' thing...but certainly, if you're not all English, then they really aren't a neccessary!:lolol:

T

The Maharajah in Brighton

zefarelly said:
I am English.
I support England.

I have the perfect solution .
I arrived from Sydney earlier today .
I brought with me an Australian car flag
( given away free with The Sun-herald 2 weeks ago ) .
I was either going to shock some unsuspecting englishman
at a set of traffic lights by replacing his St George Cross
for my Green & Gold Roo , or , just fly it myself on the car I'll
be driving over here .
But , after reading your tale of woe , I'd be quite prepared
to give you my flag so you can fly one of each nation , thus keeping
the 2 of you in matrimonial harmony .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports