Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Car Advise

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I googled cam belt for that vehicle and it says 100,000 miles and I'm looking at something around the 40,000 mark. Just out of interest what potential problems could be caused by the cam belt going?

Copied and pasted from Google...

Is My Engine Safe If My Timing Belt Snaps?

Well, that depends. There are two types of engine timing configurations: interference, and non-interference.

An interference type engine means that the valve's stroke and piston's stroke take up the same space in the cylinder, so the timing belt essentially keeps them from smashing into each other, since they do it at different times. If the timing belt snaps, they run into each other, causing bent valves (most common), cylinder head or camshaft damage, and possibly piston and cylinder wall damage. While it is possible that no damage could occur from a snapped belt on an interference engine, such a case is unlikely.

In a non-interference engine, the pistons and valves don't occupy the same space, so if the timing belt snaps, no valve or cylinder damage occurs. You just pop a new belt on, and the engine should theoretically drive normally.

You can find out if your engine is a non-interference or interference by referring to this list. If your engine isn't listed, Google it, as these lists aren't exhaustive.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah people of the car - hello. :wave:
Please forgive the hijack, but as you're all here can you help me too.

I currently drive a big old tank of a Honda, that no longer has any value.
It's been a fantastic car, but now my mileage is increasing ( it will be over 5k a year :ohmy: ) it's a tad thirsty, and I have again become reliant on it, I feel a change might be in order.

Because I know nothing, I've made a note of this sage advance, if only I were so knowledgeable:-
If the back and front halves are different colours/makes, I'd avoid...

I will be shopping from a dealer and really really want another Honda (that's how good my current car is).

So can anyone recommend a dealer from the bottom end of the used car market, who has more than their fair share of Hondas.

I have had a general look around, but for me I'm coming at this completely out of my depth with the added bonus of quickly leaving me confused and bored.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Once you have the reg number check the MOT history. Gives you all the advisories and goes back to about 2006. Also gives the mileage covered so you can check it hasn’t been clocked

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I googled cam belt for that vehicle and it says 100,000 miles and I'm looking at something around the 40,000 mark. Just out of interest what potential problems could be caused by the cam belt going?

Cam belt changes are also age dependant. Normally between 3 and 6 years or the quoted mileage

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011

I should have said they can perish over time too so check that also.

Its more a case of what won't go wrong. Pistons, camshaft, cylinder head, valves. You will basically destroy the engine and it will likely need a complete rebuild.

Last edited:

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Check the clutch for slipping on a test drive. When stationary, put it in 4th gear, foot on brake, give it some revs (with outside of your brake foot) and engage the clutch as if you were pulling away. It will stall the engine if clutch is ok. If you get you foot all the way off with engine still running, its slipping.

Also avoid cars with a tow bar (indicator that it may have been towing heavy things like boats or caravans making engine/clutch old before their time). Most dealers will give you a 3 month warranty these days - that at least gives you some protection against major issues.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I know some Lexus have a chain too. Possibly not all.

I've just bought a grey import Toyota with a new cam belt.

First drive and the A/C started jamming and burning the a/c belt. Apparently ac has black death and it will cost £1,200 to clean the system and repair the compressor and whatever else the system has. Rang the seller and he immediately agreed to pay the lot. He's not even insured as he has worked out it's cheaper to run the risk than pay the premiums (30 cars a year multiplied by the premiums) . Thanks mike from Wheelquick in Wigan I'll have a good as new a/c now. :bowdown:

Good warranty and company reputation is important.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here