Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Capital One Cup - 1st Round - Newport County - HOME

County have a good start to their first year back in the big time. A friendly away at Carl Zeiss Jena, followed by a competitive game against the Albion. We get a friendly against Whitehawk, followed by a cup game against Newport.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I quite like Newport ( the club, dunno about the town ).
It'll be a very interesting match for sure. League newboys vs the mighty flairmeisters and their new management team

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
The last time that we played Newport County (though a different entity then) was in 1966 at the start of the FA cup run that finished in the lock-out at Stamford Bridge. There was just about a coach load from Brighton. I can remember Eric Whitington scoring.
The major memory is of the ground - Somerton Park. There was no high terracing - it was all shallow, almost like watching in a park. Behind the goal, the terracing was railway sleepers with cinders to stand on, not concrete. These cinders had probably come from the local steelworks. The ground doubled as a speedway track, and so the corners of the pitch (and the corner flags) were on coconut matting which could be taken up afterwards to expose the curved speedway track underneath (more cinders!). I had never seen that before or since.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The last time that we played Newport County (though a different entity then) was in 1966 at the start of the FA cup run that finished in the lock-out at Stamford Bridge. There was just about a coach load from Brighton. I can remember Eric Whitington scoring.
The major memory is of the ground - Somerton Park. There was no high terracing - it was all shallow, almost like watching in a park. Behind the goal, the terracing was railway sleepers with cinders to stand on, not concrete. These cinders had probably come from the local steelworks. The ground doubled as a speedway track, and so the corners of the pitch (and the corner flags) were on coconut matting which could be taken up afterwards to expose the curved speedway track underneath (more cinders!). I had never seen that before or since.

Respect. Very interesting post.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Be interesting how they price this one up, can't be more than £10 for adults and £5 for kids.

Can see this being our lowest attendance for a competitive match at The Amex if they get this wrong.

Can see it being our lowest attendance even if we get the price structure right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here