Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can't use your Ajax ticket now? Let the club know and give someone else a chance...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Does it say you have to prove you 'intended to go'? I don’t think I’ve seen that. The club is simply asking that you tell them if you’re not going.
No they have not said this explicitely. But they have said you 'could face sanctions'. I take this possibility to imply a legitimate reason will be acceptable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Or perhaps if you are a first time offender
Good point although first offenders do not seem to get slack with abusing the rules with EPL away tickets.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I agree but I don't think Athens is quite so black and white if you are in Tier 2, as I am.

When I last looked, the travel options to Athens were quite limited and generally quite expensive. I'm certainly not prepared to book flights and "gamble" that I get a match ticket.

So, on Monday morning I'll join the 9am scramble and hope to get lucky. If I do, I'll then immediately look to book travel. I'll be prepared, having researched options this weekend. I might even have a browser tab lined up ready to buy the best flights I can find.

However, there is still a chance that the travel options change rapidly - there'll be several hundred Tier 2 Albion fans very probably doing exactly the same thing at exactly the same time. It may be the case that I just can't find something that suits for a reasonable cost.

If that happens I'd look to return the ticket ASAP in order that someone else has the chance.

I'll have bought a ticket with the intention of trying to go, but not being certain that I can.
I'm in Tier 2, so will be in the 9am queue on Monday. But I booked travel as soon as the fixtures came out (I guessed that I'd get a ticket, but I'm 2 pts short - hopefully will still make it).

Anyway, I booked flights with Aegean (out on Tuesday, back on Friday) - unfortunately, Aegean cancelled the outbound flight a few days ago - but I've got a credit voucher, with a 10% uplift for the hassle, for the value of the return flights. I then re-booked my journey this morning, at 8.30 - fearing a price-hike after the match tickets went on sale.

My re-booked flights aren't with Aegean, as I spotted cheaper options, and I know I'll use the Aegean voucher at some stage (I work for an Athens-based NGO).
So at 8.30 this morning I booked LHR - ATH on BA, Tuesday lunchtime. Flight was £110. Looking just now, it has gone up to £114. I also booked a return with Ryanair to STN, late Friday - for €122. It's now €136. So - despite (presumably) circa 750 Albion fans buying match tickets this morning, the cost of flights doesn't seem to have changed much. Maybe that's because all the Tier 1 folk had already bought their travel, knowing they were guaranteed a ticket.

Anyway, good luck all!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm in Tier 2, so will be in the 9am queue on Monday. But I booked travel as soon as the fixtures came out (I guessed that I'd get a ticket, but I'm 2 pts short - hopefully will still make it).

Anyway, I booked flights with Aegean (out on Tuesday, back on Friday) - unfortunately, Aegean cancelled the outbound flight a few days ago - but I've got a credit voucher, with a 10% uplift for the hassle, for the value of the return flights. I then re-booked my journey this morning, at 8.30 - fearing a price-hike after the match tickets went on sale.

My re-booked flights aren't with Aegean, as I spotted cheaper options, and I know I'll use the Aegean voucher at some stage (I work for an Athens-based NGO).
So at 8.30 this morning I booked LHR - ATH on BA, Tuesday lunchtime. Flight was £110. Looking just now, it has gone up to £114. I also booked a return with Ryanair to STN, late Friday - for €122. It's now €136. So - despite (presumably) circa 750 Albion fans buying match tickets this morning, the cost of flights doesn't seem to have changed much. Maybe that's because all the Tier 1 folk had already bought their travel, knowing they were guaranteed a ticket.

Anyway, good luck all!
Nice.

Yeah, if you are Tier 1 you absolutely should have bought your travel before today. Many folk who know they are top points holders bought all their flights when the fixtures were announced on that Saturday morning. If you didn't do that, you've still had over three weeks since the tiers were announced and you knew you were guaranteed a ticket for AEK.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
No they have not said this explicitely. But they have said you 'could face sanctions'. I take this possibility to imply a legitimate reason will be acceptable.
Face sanctions if you don’t tell them you’re not going. I see nothing about providing proof of inability to go, or proof that you intended to go. That’s all made up by people moaning on this thread.

The exception would be the poor guy on the delayed train. As has been said several times, the club’s communications haven’t been ideal here. They clearly had a stock email that got sent out to all no-shows which wasn’t right.

Maybe I’m being over-charitable to the club but I’d ask people to bear in mind that they are new to this, just like us. They’re learning on the job. No doubt someone well-meaningly made the decision to send a blanket email to all no-shows without thinking about the possibility of the guy whose train was delayed. It would have been very easy to have added a line at the bottom: "This is an automated email sent to all ticket holders who didn’t inform us of non-attendance in advance. If you encountered transport issues on the day of the match that prevented you from reaching the stadium, please tell us so that we can amend our records."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Face sanctions if you don’t tell them you’re not going. I see nothing about providing proof of inability to go, or proof that you intended to go. That’s all made up by people moaning on this thread.

The exception would be the poor guy on the delayed train. As has been said several times, the club’s communications haven’t been ideal here. They clearly had a stock email that got sent out to all no-shows which wasn’t right.

Maybe I’m being over-charitable to the club but I’d ask people to bear in mind that they are new to this, just like us. They’re learning on the job. No doubt someone well-meaningly made the decision to send a blanket email to all no-shows without thinking about the possibility of the guy whose train was delayed. It would have been very easy to have added a line at the bottom: "This is an automated email sent to all ticket holders who didn’t inform us of non-attendance in advance. If you encountered transport issues on the day of the match that prevented you from reaching the stadium, please tell us so that we can amend our records."
I never said 'proof' is in the club's comms. This is purely my take on the possibility of sanctions for no shows.

We're going round in circles here so let's leave it.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Nice.

Yeah, if you are Tier 1 you absolutely should have bought your travel before today. Many folk who know they are top points holders bought all their flights when the fixtures were announced on that Saturday morning. If you didn't do that, you've still had over three weeks since the tiers were announced and you knew you were guaranteed a ticket for AEK.
Incidentally I'm guessing that Wizz have realised there's high demand and put on a bigger plane for the Wednesday flight, as our seats got moved due to a "change of aircraft type". So perhaps more seats are now available.

(And if you booked seats on that flight, check now as our seats together got separated.)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So we are waiting on a cruise dates so may miss the Marseilles game at home. I take it I have to tell someone that I won’t be there then?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So we are waiting on a cruise dates so may miss the Marseilles game at home. I take it I have to tell someone that I won’t be there then?

I realised that we'll miss that match.

I was just going to use the exchange, albeit not expecting any money back (the three game deal was excellent imho).

For home EL games, what's the process for seeing that they're made available?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Just got that and I’m not even called Darren.

This is basically going to be a smug “I’m still going” thread, innit?
Yep - I’m still going - great seat in W21 :lolol:

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
To echo @Bozza, the club haven't sanctioned him for non-attendance. Sure the tone might not have been struck right, but we'd all be pretty annoyed if people were buying tickets with no intention of going just because they could (the tickets have been relatively inexpensive). To me, it is clear that the club want to sell tickets to fans who are going to attend and are going out of their way to make sure that is the case. Justifying why you weren't there and facing no consequences when it is clear that you weren't at fault is hardly the world's biggest issue.

Does it say you have to prove you 'intended to go'? I don’t think I’ve seen that. The club is simply asking that you tell them if you’re not going.

Honestly mate, you’re way over the top about this. Last night I presumed you,d had a few with your impassioned ,imagined correspondence etc., but you’re still banging on about this today?

Sanctions are mentioned in passing as a possible option if people don’t follow the very simple request to inform the club if they can’t go. It’s not an onerous task to do so. The club may be thinking further ahead to EL matches beyond the group stages, when tickets really will be hard to come by. The club may want to deter people who buy up group stage matches thinking it will help them later on. The tickets are inexpensive enough for that to be an option for some.

But overall, I think Bozza's summary is very reasonable. It’s wrong to keep invoking other industries, concerts, air tickets etc. This is a different industry with unique requirements.

Just calm down and reread Bozza's post (#80). It makes sense to me.
i have differing opinion you to you but i'm told I'm way over the top and I need to "calm down".... Laughable response..

There's a guy who's been given full chapter and verse because he didn't make it to Marseille. There's a number of different permeations in the discussion about returning of tickets. we have different opinions about it.. Doesn't mean I'm Moaning or should "get over it"

I'm not debating that people should email if they can't attend and know so in advance. Of course this should be encouraged. Buying tickets with no intention of attendance IMO is not on and a very weird thing to do... This is something the club should absolutley be doing to stop this from happening and protect the integrity of the scheme...

I'm discussing the point about Non attendance and subsequent potential challenges afterwards. They are 2 different situations wrapped hand in hand with each other - I don't think people should be "potentially sanctioned" for not attending a game. You disagree fine. But on what basis do you disagree? - do you think people should be banned for non attendance and if so, why isn't this applied to all games?

I think You're totally missing underlying challenge within the discussion point.... its not "moaning" its arguing a valid point of view....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
i have differing opinion you to you but i'm told I'm way over the top and I need to "calm down".... Laughable response..

There's a guy who's been given full chapter and verse because he didn't make it to Marseille. There's a number of different permeations in the discussion about returning of tickets. we have different opinions about it.. Doesn't mean I'm Moaning or should "get over it"

I'm not debating that people should email if they can't attend and know so in advance. Of course this should be encouraged. Buying tickets with no intention of attendance IMO is not on and a very weird thing to do... This is something the club should absolutley be doing to stop this from happening and protect the integrity of the scheme...

I'm discussing the point about Non attendance and subsequent potential challenges afterwards. They are 2 different situations wrapped hand in hand with each other - I don't think people should be "potentially sanctioned" for not attending a game. You disagree fine. But on what basis do you disagree? - do you think people should be banned for non attendance and if so, why isn't this applied to all games?

I think You're totally missing underlying challenge within the discussion point.... its not "moaning" its arguing a valid point of view....

It still feels like very much crossed wires here. Let's try a different approach. Do you think this is reasonable or unreasonable:

1. You've bought a ticket for Ajax. Something happens and you can no longer travel. You email the club to tell them and they are able to try and get the seat filled. No sanction.

2. You've bought a ticket for Ajax. Something happens and you can no longer travel. You don't bother emailing the club to tell them and your seat at the match remains empty. When Albion are drawn away in the knockout stage, the club tell you that you can't buy a ticket because you didn't let them know you weren't going to use your Ajax ticket.

Reasonable or unreasonable?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023

The 'full chapter and verse' guy (if you mean the delayed train) is very clearly the victim of an ill-thought-out automated email process rather than a draconian policy. We’ve all agreed that club comms need improving for next time.

Regarding ‘potential sanctions', that’s what they are: potential. If the club tell you you can’t buy a ticket for the next away match, you have two options. You either sigh with annoyance and admit that yes, you cocked up by not reading the Ts & Cs, or by not following the simple request to let them know. OR. You politely explain to the club that your train was delayed in France, or you had a family crisis on the day of the match, or whatever. I’d be staggered if the club retorted that these weren’t valid reasons.

In short, this is all way overblown IMO. Apart from the above points we seem to basically agree eg that it’s good to inform the club if you can’t go, and that it’s understandable why refunds can’t be made.

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
It still feels like very much crossed wires here. Let's try a different approach. Do you think this is reasonable or unreasonable:

1. You've bought a ticket for Ajax. Something happens and you can no longer travel. You email the club to tell them and they are able to try and get the seat filled. No sanction.

2. You've bought a ticket for Ajax. Something happens and you can no longer travel. You don't bother emailing the club to tell them and your seat at the match remains empty. When Albion are drawn away in the knockout stage, the club tell you that you can't buy a ticket because you didn't let them know you weren't going to use your Ajax ticket.

Reasonable or unreasonable?
1 - reasonable
2 - Unreasonable... (although its not as black and white as that either...) - If i know 1/2 weeks beforehand then its reasonable to expect me to contact them.. even if they can't re-sell my ticket.. I shouldn't face sanctions or even be threatened with sanctions for non attendance. IMO Its not up to the club to act as judge and jury on confirming if my reason for non attendance is acceptable or not..... that's the whole point......

I also agree the club should not issue refunds... Don't have a problem at all with no refunds being provided for non attendance as a result of circumstance change... That's on you not the club...

Last edited:

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I appreciate the club trying to facilitate getting tickets from people that can no longer go to the many fans (me included) who just missed out.

However, what incentive is there for people with tickets to give them back to the club for free and not receive any money back at all?

I am sure there are a fair number of people with tickets that still don't know if they can go and would probably be happy to get their money back. But if they're just giving their ticket up and not getting anything back, they may as well wait and see if they are able to go.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Whose moving their clothes down to a lower peg ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I appreciate the club trying to facilitate getting tickets from people that can no longer go to the many fans (me included) who just missed out.

However, what incentive is there for people with tickets to give them back to the club for free and not receive any money back at all?

I am sure there are a fair number of people with tickets that still don't know if they can go and would probably be happy to get their money back. But if they're just giving their ticket up and not getting anything back, they may as well wait and see if they are able to go.
The incentive is being able to buy tickets for future euro games.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

To do the decent thing by you (and me) and the many others who missed out. Surely that should be incentive enough?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here