Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Cancelled Flights/Holiday Refunds

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
American Airlines can do one. Their refund website still says 7 business days to be reviewed - I’m 20 business days and still ‘pending review’ [emoji849]

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Amazingly, the Ryanair Twitter ChatBot - which I first contacted on April 21st and has been silent despite my occasional prodding - sprang to life today of its own accord and offered to put me on the cash refund list.

It has been a battle - completely of Ryanair's making by deciding to do it the hard way rather than the easy way - but we got there in the end.

I have no illusions - it'll take many months to get the money - but at least I am finally in the cash refund queue.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Sorry but I don’t feel sympathy for them . The law is the law Ive got to abide by it just like them pay me back my money I desperately need it ffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
All very easy with Trailfinders,.

Had a call saying our June holiday is cancelled, and offered 3 options, I took the full refund, No hard sell to try and push the voucher option (actually a Trailfinders card).

Just now need to keep a watch on the refund coming through,

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
My flight to Tel Aviv has been cancelled and the airline claims there are no staff available to process refund requests. I considered claiming on my travel insurance, but there's a £50 excess I would have to pay. I even thought about no-win, no-fee lawyers, but they take a cut of any reimbursement as well. Looks like I'm going to have to wait until things return to normal in a year's time or something.

Of course, in the grand scheme of things, missing out on a holiday pales into insignificance during the pandemic, but it's still a bit of a punch to the gut knowing I'm £285 out of pocket.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
My flight to Tel Aviv has been cancelled and the airline claims there are no staff available to process refund requests. I considered claiming on my travel insurance, but there's a £50 excess I would have to pay. I even thought about no-win, no-fee lawyers, but they take a cut of any reimbursement as well. Looks like I'm going to have to wait until things return to normal in a year's time or something.

Of course, in the grand scheme of things, missing out on a holiday pales into insignificance during the pandemic, but it's still a bit of a punch to the gut knowing I'm £285 out of pocket.

If you paid on credit card go to them.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Happy to report flight refunds received from Norwegian. Still waiting on a chunky car hire refund, but now feel reasonably confident they will sort this out as well.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you accept a credit then re-book say a year later the same holiday and in that time the Tour Operator goes but where do you stand ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Happy to report flight refunds received from Norwegian. Still waiting on a chunky car hire refund, but now feel reasonably confident they will sort this out as well.

Good news, pleased for you.

We have Norwegian flights booked for July. Please may I ask, when was your original departure date and did Norwegian initiate the cancelling (or was it a FCO thing)?

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
If you accept a credit then re-book say a year later the same holiday and in that time the Tour Operator goes but where do you stand ?

that Travel Weekly article was from a couple of weeks ago and as ever in our industry, things are changing almost daily. Although I'd be extremely confident that the RCN (Refund Credit Note) afford the same level of protection, the CAA (who administer the ATOL scheme) have still yet to 100% clarify this despite advising an update will follow for the last couple of weeks and their existing regulations still don't include any reference to RCNs (the wording is very important as "Vouchers" have zero protection as previous Thomas Cook customers found out to their cost)

ABTA have said they will guarantee any ABTA certified RCN issued by one of their Members and I'm sure the Government would underwrite any failure until the law is updated to include RCNs, as there would be uproar if they didn't!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Good news, pleased for you.

We have Norwegian flights booked for July. Please may I ask, when was your original departure date and did Norwegian initiate the cancelling (or was it a FCO thing)?

The refund was for Austin flights for Easter. They cancelled the flight about a month before departure, due to US landing restrictions. I applied for a refund via phone, they then did nothing for a couple of weeks and then sent out an Email with a delay re-book offer or a link to a web form to request a refund. The link was broken, so I called them and they assured me my refund request was logged. When I started this thread I went back on and the link was fixed and it let me submit a refund request. This seems to have been the thing that got things moving.

We also have flights in July this time just out to Stockholm and back via Oslo. I have booked and paid for hotels on a round trip via the Arctic Circle (6 hotels I think). I paid up front as the places we were planning to go are not the sort of places you can just rock up and find a room and I wasn't going to rearrange anything. If the flights are cancelled, as seems likely now, I would expect Norwegian to notify you about a month in advance. I will likely have to fight this one out with Travel Insurance/credit cards for my hotels. Flights I would expect either Norwegian or ABTA to pick up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The refund was for Austin flights for Easter. They cancelled the flight about a month before departure, due to US landing restrictions. I applied for a refund via phone, they then did nothing for a couple of weeks and then sent out an Email with a delay re-book offer or a link to a web form to request a refund. The link was broken, so I called them and they assured me my refund request was logged. When I started this thread I went back on and the link was fixed and it let me submit a refund request. This seems to have been the thing that got things moving.

We also have flights in July this time just out to Stockholm and back via Oslo. I have booked and paid for hotels on a round trip via the Arctic Circle (6 hotels I think). I paid up front as the places we were planning to go are not the sort of places you can just rock up and find a room and I wasn't going to rearrange anything. If the flights are cancelled, as seems likely now, I would expect Norwegian to notify you about a month in advance. I will likely have to fight this one out with Travel Insurance/credit cards for my hotels. Flights I would expect either Norwegian or ABTA to pick up.

Thanks.

Lovely to hear about your plans for Scandinavia too, good luck with that in 2020 or if not next year. We had an amazing holiday in Sweden a couple of years ago, and plan to see more of the Nordic nations as soon as we can.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Amazingly, the Ryanair Twitter ChatBot - which I first contacted on April 21st and has been silent despite my occasional prodding - sprang to life today of its own accord and offered to put me on the cash refund list.

It has been a battle - completely of Ryanair's making by deciding to do it the hard way rather than the easy way - but we got there in the end.

I have no illusions - it'll take many months to get the money - but at least I am finally in the cash refund queue.

Thanks for posting this.

I had just about given up hope, but tried again yesterday on the back of your post.

Five minutes later, and I got a response - I am also now in the queue for a cash refund. So relieved and pleased.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sounds like Virgin Holidays to close - and Virgin Atlantic to pull out of Gatwick completely. Devastating for Gatwick & Crawley

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Anyone else battling with Jetline?

Official line appears to be they are not refunding more than 75% and hell with the complaints and terrible PR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here