[Travel] Can you remember your 1st flight?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Gatwick to Dusseldorf, from the photos late 70s.

The terminal was full of Freddie Laker ads and a "Big Orange" flight to the States taxied next to us. I thought it was all incredibly exotic and the odd Inter City 125 to the midlands to see family was never quite as exciting again.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes London to Orlando in the early 90’s for Disney plus holiday aged about 9/10. We had many other vacations as kids but never flew. Mostly road trips to Western Europe.

That brings back memories, the rich kid in the class went to Disney world whilst the rest of us had to suffer a wet two weeks in Wales.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Southampton to Jersey in 1977. We were married in 1977 and then the in-laws promptly moved to Jersey for work.

That was in the days when Southampton Airport Terminal was a lovely if dilapidated Art Deco building with original furniture etc.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Gatwick to Palma 1976 on a Dan Air Comet 4. One good thing about this airline was the opportunity to fly on one of these as not many airlines had them or would do in the future. Nice, smooth planes tarnished by metal fatigue problems and crashes in earlier models.

Ringway to Ibiza also on Charter Flight Comet 4 in August 1971. Lovely aircraft!

Wasn't used to the Spanish sun and had VERY bad sunburn after a couple of days (as in massive blisters on my arms which had to be lanced by local doctor) so a memorable holiday but not for the right reasons. :facepalm:

Have been careful to cover myself up in similar countries ever since.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Dan Air, Gatwick to Tenerife, 1991 when I was still 12. My Mum had a word with a flight attendant and I actually went in the cockpit when the pilots were having their dinner as the plane was flying over Lisbon. They asked me where I was from and if I was interested in football and then pointed out the Estadio Da Luz as the floodlights were on as Benfica were playing at home. Could also see the 25 de Abril Bridge too.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
:lolol::lolol:

Funny really, couldn’t afford holidays abroad when I was a kid, last 25 years of my working life involved a flight almost every ****ing week :facepalm:

Likewise, never flew as a kid, nor did much holidaying. did my fair share via work, when I holiday ( can't remember the last one) it's usually on wheels. :rolleyes:

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Remember where from and to, but not really the flight. The take off and landings have all been pretty similar, and fortunately I have the same number of take off's as landings.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
1971 Gatwick to a family holiday in Tunisia. My Sweet Lord & Knock Three Times in the charts. Les Oranges Hotel. Pretty sure it was a Trident plane, with the engine on the tail. Return flight I was very bad. Ears and nose bleeding. Swore I'd never fly again. Since then met Freddie Laker, Dickie Branson and been flown by Captain Kirk, but not that one.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
1988. Gatwick(I think) to Naples.

Might have been allowed in the cockpit, but can't really remember. I also have a vague memory thaat everyone clapped when the plane landed. Was that a thing back then? And if it was, when did it stop?

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
1974 Devils Dyke on a Hanglider.

1st commercial flight, Gatwick to Edmonton Alcerta 1976

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
December 1979 Gatwick to Palermo, Sicily

Threw up in someone's duty free bag on return journey. Brought on by a really sickly cake (local delicacy) that was forced on me by my Italian host prior to my departure. The owner of the duty free had it coming. He and his mate kept invading my personal space, sitting on the arm of my seat to talk to the person next to me who was part of their group.

Last edited:

Morvangull

Oct 19, 2010
Bognor Regis
Around 1954 I guess with my parents on a flight from Lydd to France somewhere (?Le Touquet?). Back in the days when you (or rather, my Dad) drove the car onto the bloody plane!!!!

My memory might be playing silly buggers but I think I'm right.

I did that flight with my Mum And Dad in the late 1950's, and your right it was Lydd to Le Touquet. We were having a camping holiday in France. I can still remember how the whole aircraft shook as it built up the revs for take off. i can't remember what the planes were but believe they took a maximum of 4 cars.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
First flight was to france on prop plane circa 1969/70.
Used to frequent "Horns Lodge" south chailey where "Freddie Laker" was regularly and had his name engraved on the bar. Took Skytrain to America several times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports