Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Can you remember your 1st fight?

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Parents were not happy as they had shelled out on a Uniform, think it was about then they realised I was a bit of a Rebel.
I never stuck at the cubs thing either. Maybe a year at most and the gear was probably expensive. I was asthmatic and my parents wouldn't let me go on camps so I didn't see the point.
I think we had a shop called Paul Plumb in Shoreham where we used to buy everything like that plus school uniform/ PE kit etc. In real terms I think things like that were a lot more expensive back then

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Had a few rucks when playing Rugby at School, either Home games or vs. other Schools, as a Hooker it did seem to be mandatory!

Usually everyone left it on the Pitch - stopped playing Rugby in my late teens when it started to hurt...

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A childhood of physical punches thrown with one of my brothers.

At our huge state comp, a couple of prearranged fights (literally 100’s watching in a circle) against aggressive twats who didn’t like me. As a non fighter I was a cert to lose …. then, they cried as my long left jab took control of their faces.

Because they 100% instigated everything:

Then in Brighton nightclubs and pubs in my late teens/early 20’s, I/we was started on a few times by Russell Bishop lookalikes in Pringle jumpers (The Lions Gang?). They didn’t like “gay boys” with nice clothes and flat-tops. Despite their reputation and coward’s punch skills honed in 80’s Albion thuggery, they ultimately made a mistake :lolol:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I've never been much of a fighter but after being provoked for a long time I get a red mist and kind of black out. When I 'wake up' I have done something.
The first incidence I remember was at Buckingham Middle School in Shoreham, mid 70s.
This kid would not stop punching me on the arm despite my protests and after trying to get away he backed me into a corner and continued. Anyway, the said red mist descended and the next thing I know is he is laying on the floor in front of me with his nose spread over his face.
I have had no fights as such in my life but about 5 incidents like this. Not for many years I might add.

Is your name Bruce Bannon, do you turn green, and come round with no shirt on and the bottom of your trousers ripped?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
In my first year at Moulsecoomb juniors.
Some tall lanky **** and his little mate thought it was a good idea to pick on the new kid.
I wasn't used to this sort of thing and didn't know what to do.
One day the lanky **** tried to push me on some stairs.
I just snapped and punched him hard in the guts, he doubled over and I punched him in the head , which sent him backwards onto the steps.
I then jumped on his chest, pinning his arms down with my knees, grabbed his ears and repeatedly hit his head against the step behind his head.
It took 3 teachers to get me off him and he ended up in hospital to have 16 stitches.
His mate had run off to get the teachers.
My mum was called in and I was suspended for a week, never had any problems after that.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
1982 aged 13.

I used to get bullied by girls at school and had never fought anyone.

A boy was bullying me and two friends. He came up to where we were playing the following day and started again. I'd had enough and wrestled him to the floor and pinned him down. There was anything I could have done to him at that point but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

The option I took was humiliation. Another friend who was there went and knocked up the third friend who lived nearby so he could come and see. Humiliation complete I then let him go. He tried to take another swing and elected to give up and go home.

He didn't bully us again.

I've always been scared of fighting people because I'm worried about hurting them. I know I could do some serious damage. But the option of wrestling and restraining is a good one. Always works because it's not an expected tactic.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Is your name Bruce Bannon, do you turn green, and come round with no shirt on and the bottom of your trousers ripped?

Bruce Bannon was a top NFL player. I don’t think he wore green. Now Bruce Banner on the other hand :lol:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Around 1979 was 8 years old - Was down The Level skate park, I was crap at skateboarding, had no balance so used to sit on the thing and just mess about. An group of kids were taking the piss, and one of them kept trying to take the skateboard off me, I just flipped and hit him full in the face with the skateboard, he was out for count, blood streaming from above his eye, his mates were in shock at what just happened, I didn’t go back there for a few weeks, next time I saw them they invited me to play football with them and not a word was ever said !

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Playground scuffles. Later boxing at boarding school. Had a couple of years living in Dorking as a bored teenager and regularly scrapped with the coach of Croydon morons that would come down on a Friday night to cause aggro at the football club or the pub next door.
It all came to a nasty end when a mates Dad waded in to help his lad who was getting a shoeing and he got his thigh opened up with a Stanley knife.
It gave us all a wake up call and the Croydon coach never turned up again. Many moons ago now.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
1982 aged 13.

I used to get bullied by girls at school and had never fought anyone.

A boy was bullying me and two friends. He came up to where we were playing the following day and started again. I'd had enough and wrestled him to the floor and pinned him down. There was anything I could have done to him at that point but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

The option I took was humiliation. Another friend who was there went and knocked up the third friend who lived nearby so he could come and see. Humiliation complete I then let him go. He tried to take another swing and elected to give up and go home.

He didn't bully us again.

I've always been scared of fighting people because I'm worried about hurting them. I know I could do some serious damage. But the option of wrestling and restraining is a good one. Always works because it's not an expected tactic.

I've never started on anyone, physically or by intimidation. I was always able to hold my drink, so I wasn't the type who looked for trouble when smashed.

But when punched, instinctively I reacted, my competitive nature I think. All that was many decades ago and I've never been in trouble with the law.

Then not so very long ago, I was subject to a road rage thing in Brighton. A long story, but this guy in a van was driving like a looney and took umbrage that I didn't see that he wanted to barge into my lane. No words or v-signs exchanged. A mile on at traffic lights, I glanced in my mirror, he produced a steel bar from his driver's door and was making his way to me. I felt safer getting out. He then spent minutes trying to knock me out with wild hooks and having failed, he produced the bar and tried that towards my head too. I successfully avoided everything or he just hit my upper arm which was well covered in winter clothes. I have a long reach and survival instincts kicked in.

Incredibly, this was at an extremely busy junction in broad daylight. He was filmed on multiple phones by good folk, by a bus cam and a business cam.

He then fled.

The police arrived about a minute later, they were incredible.

To cut a long story, he got three criminal convictions, probably the loss of his job (a courier), had to pay me compensation and a huge amount to my insurer's (as his parting shot was to take an expensive mirror out with the bar which also damaged the door).

I was genuinely totally unaffected by it, instead mocking numpty to family and friends.

A lesson in NOT fighting I think. We sometimes do training with a MMA fighter. Unlike all his contemporaries that we know in the city, he always reacts and some when attacked/provoked. Recently spending more time with HMP due to his pride.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Not much of a fight, me against Anthony, aged 10ish in the school playground.
I think it was over a sponge football, I kicked it at him while he was sat by the side of our game. He got up and punched me straight in the nose, I grabbed the back of his head and rammed my knee into his face, it go broken up by the teacher. Didn't even make it that far to get a chorus of "fight! fight! fight!"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Rather sad that Pretty Pink Fairy can't remember his.

Although..(you can guess the rest. :wink:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here