Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can we bin off adverts from The S*n on here please Bozza?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The simple answer is if you dont like The Sun just ignore everything related to the biggest selling daily in the country by a long way. I think this is down a lot to snobbery and people feel they shouldnt read anything related to The Sun. When it starts again I will read striker.

Wouldn't you prefer left back rather than striker? It's a more high brow comic strip which looks at the more mundane life of a number 3.

Cracking story lines so far include:-

Him passing the ball successfully eight times in a row to his centre back and coming joint 4th for pass completion stats.

The infamous row with his manager when 'left back' shouted what gives? As he received a tongue lashing for overlapping in the 93rd minute when they were 3-2 up.

The time when he forced a decent save from the keeper after shooting from 25 yards

And finally when he was set to take a direct free kick but left it for the number 9.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I have never seen an ad for the sun, and if I don't like the ad you can click the x and they go away

I assume it remembers what you like dislike and serves you ads accordingly

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Censorship is a slippery slope.

Nothing is being censored. If anyone really desperately wants to read The Sun then type The Sun into Google and off you go. It's not gone away,,,,it's still there.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I for one will be glad when Joe Bonamassa's tour is done and dusted. Every time I come on here there's an ad for tickets for his shows.

#Trivial 1st World Problems.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Disagree. They may be preaching (agenda is a bit of a stretch) but they do have a point, a critical one.

I don't read the sun for my own reasons, which are different to those often cited, but I couldn't care less if I see an ad for it. So why ask for it to be removed? Is it based on the principles of those requesting it, is it because it harms the feelings of those that feel strongly about it or are we just trying to suppress anybody who might not care for yours or my disapproval from clicking on it? Some people do not care for the political stance of a paper or their murky histories, they just like or might like to read it as entertainment (as hard as that is for some of us to believe).

Censorship is a slippery slope, but then I'm probably the wrong person to comment as I find some filtered profanity on here ridiculous.

It's not censorship and I know for a fact that Bozza has had other requests to block certain adverts in the past without all this hassle.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Disagree. They may be preaching (agenda is a bit of a stretch) but they do have a point, a critical one.

I don't read the sun for my own reasons, which are different to those often cited, but I couldn't care less if I see an ad for it. So why ask for it to be removed? Is it based on the principles of those requesting it, is it because it harms the feelings of those that feel strongly about it or are we just trying to suppress anybody who might not care for yours or my disapproval from clicking on it? Some people do not care for the political stance of a paper or their murky histories, they just like or might like to read it as entertainment (as hard as that is for some of us to believe).

Censorship is a slippery slope, but then I'm probably the wrong person to comment as I find some filtered profanity on here ridiculous.

In an ideal world we'd like to use the full Anglo Saxon on NSC, but, given that Google Ads effectively pays for the running of the board, sometimes you have to shake the hand that feeds you, and that means abiding by their, rather than our, rules. The alternative is either a very cut down version of NSC or a subscription model, neither of which are particularly desirable.

As for The Sun, it's a football fan thing that I don't want anything to do with it, not a political one. Historically it has supported both major parties after all. I don't have any views on someone who reads it, their choice. Choosing to not take adverts from The Sun isn't censorship, it's simply not wanting to trade with an organisation that holds football fans in contempt.

We are now in the Premier League, we will therefore have fans from other clubs, including Liverpool, coming here. I think it's a sign of decency and respect towards fellow football fans that we can say we're not involved with taking money from The Sun.

It's also a sign that we're Brighton, one of the most tolerant and welcoming cities in the country, and, unlike message boards from many other clubs who operate a more apartheid regime, we give people who support other teams (a small team such as Crystal Palace for example) the benefit of the doubt if they wish to post here. If they take the piss or troll they are quickly booted off, and the ignore feature allows anyone to effectively block contributions from those they find objectionable.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
In an ideal world we'd like to use the full Anglo Saxon on NSC, but, given that Google Ads effectively pays for the running of the board, sometimes you have to shake the hand that feeds you, and that means abiding by their, rather than our, rules. The alternative is either a very cut down version of NSC or a subscription model, neither of which are particularly desirable.

As for The Sun, it's a football fan thing that I don't want anything to do with it, not a political one. Historically it has supported both major parties after all. I don't have any views on someone who reads it, their choice. Choosing to not take adverts from The Sun isn't censorship, it's simply not wanting to trade with an organisation that holds football fans in contempt.

We are now in the Premier League, we will therefore have fans from other clubs, including Liverpool, coming here. I think it's a sign of decency and respect towards fellow football fans that we can say we're not involved with taking money from The Sun.

It's also a sign that we're Brighton, one of the most tolerant and welcoming cities in the country, and, unlike message boards from many other clubs who operate a more apartheid regime, we give people who support other teams (a small team such as Crystal Palace for example) the benefit of the doubt if they wish to post here. If they take the piss or troll they are quickly booted off, and the ignore feature allows anyone to effectively block contributions from those they find objectionable.

Mmmmm ... the OP started this thread without any specific reference to football so it's purely guess work what his main motivation was. He even implies (in his second post) he was asking for a ban on behalf of others which is even more bizarre. Bozza's responses suggest his main motivation was good intentions (fair play) rather than a long held conviction that the Sun newspaper was contemptious of football fans therefore worthy of individual sanction so should be blocked, which is your pov. Football fans are not all of one opinion. There is no excuse for the Sun's disgraceful reporting of Hillsborough 28 years ago but the standard of tabloid journalism is generally p*ss poor with numerous examples from numerous papers on numerous issues. Other agendas (Murdoch etc) are clearly a factor.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Mmmmm ... the OP started this thread without any specific reference to football so it's purely guess work what his main motivation was. He even implies (in his second post) he was asking for a ban on behalf of others which is even more bizarre. Bozza's responses suggest his main motivation was good intentions (fair play) rather than a long held conviction that the Sun newspaper was contemptious of football fans therefore worthy of individual sanction so should be blocked, which is your pov. Football fans are not all of one opinion. There is no excuse for the Sun's disgraceful reporting of Hillsborough 28 years ago but the standard of tabloid journalism is generally p*ss poor with numerous examples from numerous papers on numerous issues. Other agendas (Murdoch etc) are clearly a factor.

I'm not interested in other issues.

This is primarily a football forum for football fans.

The Sun was the only paper to not lead with the Hillsborough verdict which came out last year, instead putting the story on page 8.

It continued to use Kelvin Mackenzie as a columnist, the man behind 'The Truth' headlines, until a couple of months ago. It hasn't changed its spots.

We would rather have not take the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

The Sun was the only paper to not lead with the Hillsborough verdict which came out last year, instead putting the story on page 8.

It continued to use Kelvin Mackenzie as a columnist, the man behind 'The Truth' headlines, until a couple of months ago. It hasn't changed its spots.

Your last sentence in particular sums it up nicely. NSC is a private messageboard and can choose to work for whomever it pleases just like the rest of us. Taking advertising is a form of paid work. The motivations of the OP are irrelevant.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

What has changed? NSC obviously wasn't that bothered two days ago, two weeks ago, two years ago, 5 years ago when all of the issues you highlight were equally valid ..(if not more so) as Kelvin Mackenzie was still employed by the Sun.

I was under the impression Bozza came to an individual decision rather than a collective NSC policy change :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What has changed? NSC obviously wasn't that bothered two days ago, two weeks ago, two years ago, 5 years ago when all of the issues you highlight were equally valid ..(if not more so) as Kelvin Mackenzie was still employed by the Sun.

What point are you trying to make? What is your issue? Why have you got your knickers in such a twist?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Perhaps we weren't aware that we were taking money from The Sun?

It's never appeared on my banner ads, for example.

Nor mine (mainly Asian babes), as the OP admitted the ads may have appeared because of the sites he was accessing. Well I'm done, a pleasure as always EP hope to see you at some away fixture in the coming months. :thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Nor mine (mainly Asian babes), as the OP admitted the ads may have appeared because of the sites he was accessing. Well I'm done, a pleasure as always EP hope to see you at some away fixture in the coming months. :thumbsup:

Absolutely old chap, both you and the OP are good guys :ascarf:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I was under the impression Bozza came to an individual decision rather than a collective NSC policy change :shrug:

Throughout that timespan I didn't know there were Sun ads on NSC as I explained in one of the first few posts on this thread. We don't sell ads directly and I've never personally seen a Sun ad on NSC.

It's not an issue I feel massively strongly about personally but aware of a general (but not unconditional) dislike of The Sun from football fans, I was happy to block their ads.

The effect on NSC's income will be so small as to be unmeasurable, so l'll not pretend to be putting principles over money.

Yes it was an individual decision. That's how a lot of stuff here happens.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
FFS, what a thread. There are 100s of adverts thrown at us every day for stuff that is basically shit. Just ignore it. You're life will be much more agreeable.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Anon1243826615-FatNakedManInABox628427_lg.jpg

Form an orderly queue ladeeeez ... :banana:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here