Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can someone please tell me how....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can't be arsed to read the thread but Matt Richards was our best player by a country mile so was richly deserving of the MOM award. He made some outstanding interceptions in the box too. Michel ran him close but with those ridiculous banana boots he was wearing today he gave the ball back to Orient virtually everytime he kicked it in the 1st half. Yeah his saves kept us in the game but his kicking gave Orient too many chances to attack us.

No doubt in my mind that Richards deservedly got the MOM for his ALL ROUND performance.

Last edited:

The bad point of FDM was his kicking which on most instances was overhit and much too long as he was playing ping pong with their goalkeeper.

Abso-effing-lutely.
He wasn't the only one overhitting, though Cox underhitting was in competition.

How anyone can NOT see that Richards was BY FAR the best of our players, would be beyond me. He saved our bacon - and he's not even our player ???

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Dunno about you chaps in the south stand but from where we were in the family stands the general consensus was that the MoM decision was spot on.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
MOM decision was outrageous.

OK, Richards had a good second half and made some important tackles, BUT in the first half he was dire. MOM awards should go to players who are judged to have played the best throughout 90 minutes.

Kuipers made some fantastic saves in the second half to keep us in the game, but again his first half performance was very poor as far as distribution. I lost count of how many times he booted the ball upfield to no one. Unacceptable.

Clear MOM for me was Colin Hawkins. Dominated the centre while those around him panicked. One poor clearance, otherwise a rock.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Kuipers? Nah.
Kicking was crap. A couple of important saves - yes. But they were ordinary saves, and if he'd let a goal in he'd have been dissappointed.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I've never been a fan of Richards but today, from my seat in the North and with Richards playing infront of me in the 2nd half, I was really impressed with him.

I made him my MotM on the grounds that the Motm comes from the outfield players because it is taken as fact that FDM will always be just class.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Dunno about you chaps in the south stand but from where we were in the family stands the general consensus was that the MoM decision was spot on.

Same.

FDM did make some crucial saves once again today though and kept us in the game. The goalie ping pong didn't do him any favours.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Personally I'd have given it to Richards, who made some brilliant saving tackles, including one to save a certain goal, when Michel parried the shot into their guys path. However, overall there would be little to choose beteween him and Kuipers, and this thread is a bit daft, to be honest - arguing over the only two players to come out of today with a lot of credit.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Yup I agreed with Richards. Kuipers was great but Richards saved us on a number of occasions - at times he looked like he was just about the only defender awake.

I know it's practically punishable by death here but I thought Hawkins was pretty poor today, made a few mistakes and one absolute howler (where he let a long ball bounce and then got muscled out to create a great Orient oppurtunity). In the 2nd half especially I was very impressed by Richards.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Richards was my MOM made some good tackles, and was on the spot on several occasions to clear danger.

Kuipers yet again made some good saves but his kicking is f***ing awful, at one point in the first half when he smashed it down the middle without looking straight to Orients keeper. He then had the cheek to moan that no-one was there !!!!

I've never been a fan of Richards but today, from my seat in the North and with Richards playing infront of me in the 2nd half, I was really impressed with him.

I made him my MotM on the grounds that the Motm comes from the outfield players because it is taken as fact that FDM will always be just class.

Good point about FDM - he is reliably quality in our goal, week in week out.
However the long kicks MIGHT have been under orders from MA, otherwise I can't think why he persisted with that.

The combination of Kuipers and Richards saved us yesterday - and Richards def. saved FDM from a lot of extra work (and from being on the losing side despite several decent saves).

Here's a question for all you admirers of lanky, leggy Elphick;
Where was he when their attackers were coming at our goal? I saw Andy Whing grafting, and Virgo dropping back..... so is Elphick a midfielder now? If so, what did he DO there??
He looks the part though, models the kit well :shootself

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
From my view in the South stand Richards and Whing had good games but Richards was my MOM. I agree that Kuipers pulled off some great saves but his distribution was very poor and frequently set up an Orient attack. Must have been half dozen times when he could have released the ball quickly with an underarm throw to one of our players to start a move up the wings but he dallied, waited took aim and kicked a long ball which ended up with Orient getting the ball.

Having been that critical he was in the game, had energy and earnt his wages which is more than you can say for most of the midfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here