Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Can someone explain train fares

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Train fares before 9am are an absolute scandal AND they have the audacity to strike!

Posties work in all conditions with no shelter. I have sympathy for them with the cost of living at the moment.
Well, they need to fund the £64k that train drivers earn, I suppose.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This is a well known "quirk" of the system seemingly to rip off Londoners.

Many years ago I was actually advised at Haywards Heath station by staff to reverse the return ticket from London. It's technically wrong but they don't have a means of testing it at the barrier.

For the record - I always buy the correct ticket.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A few years ago I rung up to enquire how much a monthly season ticket would be from Worthing to Durrington…… I was quoted by the woman at the other end something in the region of £ 2000.
Seeing as it’s only 3 miles away I questioned it but she was adamant….

After a couple of minutes I ascertained she was putting in Darlington..

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
A few years ago I used to get the train from Worthing to Angmering and back. I always bought a return to Littlehampton as that was cheaper.
How do you work that one out?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Bizarrely when I was working on the southbank a monthly London Terminals ticket (inc Blackfriars) was cheaper than a Blackfriars only monthly ticket

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Train fares before 9am are an absolute scandal AND they have the audacity to strike!

Posties work in all conditions with no shelter. I have sympathy for them with the cost of living at the moment.

As far I know, the people who drive and work on platforms for train companies don't set the prices.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Maybe you should go and work in their country and take calls from the xenophobes in their language and then come back with your question

I have the OP on ignore but took a peek.

What a :tosser:

And thick, too. I can navigate between offpeak, super offpeak and split fares. The fair structure is idiotic, but the staff will sort you out if you ask sensible questions, and don't act like a prick :shrug:

And that's before we even begin to turn to the racism.

What a plum.

:shrug:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have the OP on ignore but took a peek.

What a :tosser:

And thick, too. I can navigate between offpeak, super offpeak and split fares. The fair structure is idiotic, but the staff will sort you out if you ask sensible questions, and don't act like a prick :shrug:

And that's before we even begin to turn to the racism.

What a plum.

:shrug:

4A863B2A-A26D-42A0-BDB1-B02D22ED3157.jpeg

:moo:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wow! They have had a 4 grand rise, good news as according to a post on here yesterday they earn £60k :)

I see that the usual geniuses of NSC have turned this from a racist rant about ticket office staff to class war dig at thicky over-paid train drivers. Bravo.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
The fare system in this country is nothing short of a shambles, the prices make no sense, and there is very little consistency. There are so many loopholes it definitely needs to be made more understandable, I can't see that changing under the franchise system we have now. Having a fairly good knowledge of how the railway system works in this country one thing I can say that I don't have a clue about is the fares and ticketing system, it is a complete mystery. Split ticketing have worked it out, but they do it through algorithms.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Tell me about it. My working week is 3 days in London and 2 days at home. It is cheaper for me to buy a weekly season ticket and not use it for 4 of the 7 days it is valid, than it is to buy a ticket on each of the three days I go to London. Absolutely ridiculous that the cheapest way for me to get to work is to buy something I use less than 50% of.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A family member wishes to come down to Worthing by train. As an example, Victoria to Worthing return today quotes £34.50 super off peak return, ticket can be used on all available trains. Yet if I search Worthing to Victoria today it quotes £21.20 super off peak return, ticket can be used on all available trains. I called the national Rail helpline to ask if the ticket starting from Worthing could be used in reverse but, unfortunately, the operative had English as a second language and didn't seem to understand the question. Can the great and good on NSC explain this.

So you asked someone if a ticket starting in Worthing i.e. Worthing to Victoria, can be used to travel from Victoria to Worthing? I'd say it's obvious you cannot; I can see why the call-centre person didnt understand you.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
This is a well known "quirk" of the system seemingly to rip off Londoners.

Many years ago I was actually advised at Haywards Heath station by staff to reverse the return ticket from London. It's technically wrong but they don't have a means of testing it at the barrier.

For the record - I always buy the correct ticket.

Thank you, for a simple answer some on here are unable to provide. They would rather look for racism that doesn't exist.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Nothing stopping you from using the return portion of a ticket before the outward, Super Off Peak tickets have a wide restriction range of about 3 hours from memory it was anything leaving Victoria between 1655 and 1955, and it is the time it leaves Victoria so would apply to later times from Clapham/Croydon, when I used to sell them as a conductor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here