Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can I film the police with no reason?

Dec 29, 2011
A quick question for the knowledgeable people of NSC.

Could I (hypothetically speaking, i'm not going to do this) follow a policeman on the beat with a camcorder just to wind them up?

I was doing some research and have so far come to the conclusion they may confiscate the camera under grounds of terrorism, or through the "Regulation of Investigator Powers Act" (link here).

Anyway, do we have any bobbys on this site and what would you do in the instance someone followed you with a camera? (Please note for the sake of arguement, lets assume no obstruction is being caused, and no aggressive nature or bad language is ever used).

Thanks

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Lets be honest, someone needs to keep an eye on them at all times, make sure they are not getting up to anything dodgy, they are human after all

Gwm

Oct 25, 2011
If you watch any of the reality shows then cameramen film the police going about their business, when people are spoken to or arrested they often say they don't want to be filmed but the police always say they can as they are in a public place.

I'm only guessing here but I would say filming in a public place would ok but once you start following them then there must be an issue with that.

Dec 29, 2011
If you watch any of the reality shows then cameramen film the police going about their business, when people are spoken to or arrested they often say they don't want to be filmed but the police always say they can as they are in a public place.

I'm only guessing here but I would say filming in a public place would ok but once you start following them then there must be an issue with that.

So following could get you in trouble? Lets say you are just following without a camera I suppose that's a bid dodgy in itself (is following someone an offence?). Throw a camera into the mix there must be grounds for arrest.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Could I (hypothetically speaking, i'm not going to do this) follow a policeman on the beat with a camcorder just to wind them up?

whether or not you are going to do this what sort of prick would even consider following a policeman with a camcorder simply to wind them up?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I don't know. If you find someone contemplating it maybe you could ask them.

well you sound like you have contemplated the scenario in your mind so i will ask you......what sort of prick would even consider following a policeman with a camcorder simply to wind them up?

also more importantly why have you done some "research" into this?most people dont look into this field unless they have an agenda.....so do you have an agenda or are are you simply doing a school report?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
well you sound like you have contemplated the scenario in your mind so i will ask you......what sort of prick would even consider following a policeman with a camcorder simply to wind them up?

also more importantly why have you done some "research" into this?most people dont look into this field unless they have an agenda.....so do you have an agenda or are are you simply doing a school report?

The only reason you can think of for someone asking this question is the he is contemplating doing it?

He has told you he is not thinking of doing it. Why isn't that enough for you to stop your petty insults and snide name calling?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The only reason you can think of for someone asking this question is the he is contemplating doing it?

He has told you he is not thinking of doing it. Why isn't that enough for you to stop your petty insults and snide name calling?

are you really really really that naive?

perhaps you though can answer the simple question then.what sort of moron would contemplate filming a copper simply to wind them up?i didnt realize it was such a hard question to answer.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

oh goody....you are going to answer why he has researched this as well are you?

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
whether or not you are going to do this what sort of prick would even consider following a policeman with a camcorder simply to wind them up?

one of the most stupid comments ever i have read on here. he is doing research and questioning things, give then man some respect.

the answer is yes, you can film them - they may "say" you can't, and threaten you, but carry on. i have done it and they really don't like it.

saved me a fine too on one occassion.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
the answer is yes, you can film them - they may "say" you can't, and threaten you, but carry on. i have done it and they really don't like it.

To be fair, I wouldn't like it if someone was following me around with a camera without any form of explanation. I doubt you would either.

If the roles in this scenario were reversed and a police officer was following you around and filming you without a word of explanation, how would you react?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
To be fair, I wouldn't like it if someone was following me around with a camera without any form of explanation. I doubt you would either.

If the roles in this scenario were reversed and a police officer was following you around and filming you without a word of explanation, how would you react?

Most of you are constantly filmed without a word of explanation through cctv are you not?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Most of you are constantly filmed without a word of explanation through cctv are you not?

Slightly different to actively following someone around (police officer or not) with a camera though.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Members of the public and the media do not need a permit to film or photograph in public places and police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel.
This is from the Met website. It seems that (if you really wish) you can film the police.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I remember being caught up in a protest (not one I was actively participating in) and the police started filming us. I responded by taking my camera out of my bag and recording the police recording us. Policeman knocks it out of my hand and says 'you can't do that.'

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
I remember being caught up in a protest (not one I was actively participating in) and the police started filming us. I responded by taking my camera out of my bag and recording the police recording us. Policeman knocks it out of my hand and says 'you can't do that.'

That was an assault and you could have complained that the police officer assaulted you. Its just proving it all though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here