Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anyone help - changing shirts

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne
I was a little puzzled on Saturday when the ref required Calderon to leave the field of play to change a shirt, yet in the Newcastle v Liverpool game when Reina was sent off they were allowed to swap shirts on the pitch, what's the difference.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
His shirt had blood on it, rules require the shirt to be changed

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I think the rules are different for outfield players. If a keeper is injured - he doesn't have the leave the field of play after treatment.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I was a little puzzled on Saturday when the ref required Calderon to leave the field of play to change a shirt, yet in the Newcastle v Liverpool game when Reina was sent off they were allowed to swap shirts on the pitch, what's the difference.

Calderon, I was assuming, had blood on his shirt which is why it had to be changed immediately (altho I noticed it had no name and number on the back). i would presume that the goalkeeper's shirts have to be approved before kick off to avoid clashing - presumably there was not an alternative and as he had been sent off , rather than subbed, it was simpler to use the same shirt for the rest of the game.

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne
His shirt had blood on it, rules require the shirt to be changed
I appreciate that the shirt needed to be changed and have no problem about that, I was just curious why Inigo had to leave the field of play to put his new shirt on but the Liverpool players were allowed to do it on the field of play? Surely if it is the rule then both Reina and the outfield player should have been made to leave the field as Inigo was!

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne
Calderon, I was assuming, had blood on his shirt which is why it had to be changed immediately (altho I noticed it had no name and number on the back). i would presume that the goalkeeper's shirts have to be approved before kick off to avoid clashing - presumably there was not an alternative and as he had been sent off , rather than subbed, it was simpler to use the same shirt for the rest of the game.
Again I appreciate that but I still am curious why there appears to be one rule for Inigo and another for Liverpool. If Calderon had to leave the field of play then why noy the outfield player while he put the keepers shirt on?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Despite the belief that every player has half a dozen spare shirts for each game I am pretty sure they don't*. There are spare, blank, shirts on the bench for both teams for use on the occasion that a player gets blood on his playing shirt. FIF rules require that a shirt is changed in the event that blood gets on a shirt, and that any blood flowing is stopped before the player is allowed back on the pitch.

*I am attending the sponsors dinner this evening, I shall ask about this then to clarify.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Not injured though - unless he hurt his forehead nutting the Newcastle player.

Would have been quite a feat what with there being no contact.

Are people really suggesting that a goalie would be made to leave the pitch (for any reason) and then have to wait there while the game went on and the ref waved him back on??

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Again I appreciate that but I still am curious why there appears to be one rule for Inigo and another for Liverpool. If Calderon had to leave the field of play then why noy the outfield player while he put the keepers shirt on?

It's a completely different rule. You can't restart a game with no goalkeeper on the pitch, so makes no sense to send the player from the field to change a shirt. In Calderons case, it is a rule, you leave the field of play for treatment, to be waved back on by the referee at his discretion, the treatment in this case included the swapping of a bloody shirt.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You need an identified goalkeeper on the pitch at all times

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Calderon didn't leave the pitch for treatment though , purely to put the new shirt on.Then despite having the opportunity to wave him back on the ref insisted on making him wait until the boro attack had broken down.If I didn't know better I would say that it seemed like a deliberate attempt to put us at a disadvantage by another piss poor ref.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Calderon didn't leave the pitch for treatment thoigh , purely to put thge new shirt on.The despite having the opportunity to wave him back on the ref insisted on making him wait until the boro attack had broken down.If I didn't know better I would say that it seemed like a deliberate attempt to put us at a disadvantage by another piss poor ref.

You don't know better. The guidence on how to handle these procedures was correct.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
As others have said I'm pretty sure the rules are different for a goalkeeper. They don't leave the pitch following treatment to be waved back on. And also, you can make a substitution following a red card of a goalkeeper before the ball is back in play. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe you can do this with outfield players...

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Despite the belief that every player has half a dozen spare shirts for each game I am pretty sure they don't*. There are spare, blank, shirts on the bench for both teams for use on the occasion that a player gets blood on his playing shirt. FIF rules require that a shirt is changed in the event that blood gets on a shirt, and that any blood flowing is stopped before the player is allowed back on the pitch.

*I am attending the sponsors dinner this evening, I shall ask about this then to clarify.

Actually they do have spare shirts.... (not half a dozen though)

When we did the stadium tour, they mentioned that some players have up to four shirts hanging up in the changing rooms. I don't know why they would have any beyond the long vs short sleeve.

However having them all pitchside would be nuts. Especially if someone was a serial bleeder and needed multiple shirt changes :) Hence the use of "blanks".

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Are people really suggesting that a goalie would be made to leave the pitch (for any reason) and then have to wait there while the game went on and the ref waved him back on??

It looks that way doesn't it, well mainly just the OP, but still...

And there was contact between Reina and Perch, not much force but definite contact

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here