Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Camouflaged hunter tracks, shoots, and kills a...

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Didn't these hunters kill deer? That would indicate they aren't some entry level hunters.

Would it be safe to say that shotgun hunting is quite common in the UK?

Due to distances and game hunted rifles are far in the majority in the likes of the US and Australia.

I think you are missing the point. I have no problem with the culling of deer etc but shooting a lion because it’ll look good above the fire place is to be frank stupid. Many of the cases where this happens it is effectively put on a plate for the hunter.

I work with a guy who does a lot of clay pigeon shooting, he is very good at it. I once asked him if he’s shot game and his reply was that he felt clays were more of a challenge so why bother.
He also has little time for so called big game hunters.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Due to poachers, not hunters who apply for permits.

Blame the Asians for fuelling that market.

Oh, I do, absolutely.

But, that won't stop me retaining the opinion that the big game trophy 'hunters' are inadequate wankers, with mental health issues and tiny cocks.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I work with a guy who does a lot of clay pigeon shooting, he is very good at it. I once asked him if he’s shot game and his reply was that he felt clays were more of a challenge so why bother.

Unless he’s into ZZ then I’d suggest that isn’t the reason at all. The idea that clays, which consistently emerge, on demand, from the same place, at the same speed and height, travelling in the same direction is more of a challenge than shooting a wild bird is quite funny.

Agree with his views on big game trophy hunting mind.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Unless he’s into ZZ then I’d suggest that isn’t the reason at all. The idea that clays, which consistently emerge, on demand, from the same place, at the same speed and height, travelling in the same direction is more of a challenge than shooting a wild bird is quite funny.

Agree with his views on big game trophy hunting mind.

I’ve just spoken with him and he says that he does do pheasant shoots but more for the social aspect as it is very expensive( which might be a major factor) however he stands by his assertion that clays are more difficult. Apparently the problem with some shoots is that the sky is filled with birds thus easier to shoot.
I think cost might be the major factor here.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I’ve just spoken with him and he says that he does do pheasant shoots but more for the social aspect as it is very expensive( which might be a major factor) however he stands by his assertion that clays are more difficult. Apparently the problem with some shoots is that the sky is filled with birds thus easier to shoot.
I think cost might be the major factor here.

Interesting, most game shots find a large flush of pheasants coming over them to be bloody awkward. Frequently they end up missing completely as they try and pick out just one sporting bird and focus on it. It would be the same if a flush of clays went over someone who shoots clays.

I think, as you suggest, that cost may well play a major part in his preference. To give you an idea of the costs, I was back in Sussex last weekend and we shot at Firle where it cost £50 + VAT per bird.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Interesting, most game shots find a large flush of pheasants coming over them to be bloody awkward. Frequently they end up missing completely as they try and pick out just one sporting bird and focus on it. It would be the same if a flush of clays went over someone who shoots clays.

I think, as you suggest, that cost may well play a major part in his preference. To give you an idea of the costs, I was back in Sussex last weekend and we shot at Firle where it cost £50 + VAT per bird.

That was also my thought (hence why birds flock and fish shoal) however I watched a shoot by Ardingly reservoir last year where the flush was large but those shooting seemed to make every shot count. I was in a rowing boat resting between pieces and so had an ideal view. I’ve shot both pheasants and clays and found that provided I concentrated the average pheasant was easier than the harder clay combinations. The fact that pheasants are larger than your standard clay helped.

It sounds hideously expensive anywhere from £500 to £1000 a day[emoji43].

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here