[Albion] Calvin Bassey Rangers full-back

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Fans always nail it, reading that it makes you wonder why we want him.
To be fair there is also some positivity in there. It just mostly takes the form of low confidence and potential rather than being ready for it. I think the technical side of things at Ajax is a big step up from Rangers. You also have to remember that they've just had a shocker of a season and are used to being at the top spare all in entitled whinge mode. I could see him coming in and being a decent swapsy with Pervis in certain games and slowly learning De Zerbis approach over the season to move inside more often. One of the more positive reviews:

"Really handy, a player who is so big, strong and fast that he rarely has to make a sliding and does not always have to jump along when he has to defend a corner. Used properly, Bassey is just an incredibly useful player."

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
To be fair there is also some positivity in there. It just mostly takes the form of low confidence and potential rather than being ready for it. I think the technical side of things at Ajax is a big step up from Rangers. You also have to remember that they've just had a shocker of a season and are used to being at the top spare all in entitled whinge mode. I could see him coming in and being a decent swapsy with Pervis in certain games and slowly learning De Zerbis approach over the season to move inside more often. One of the more positive reviews:

"Really handy, a player who is so big, strong and fast that he rarely has to make a sliding and does not always have to jump along when he has to defend a corner. Used properly, Bassey is just an incredibly useful player."
And others say he can’t pass that well and not ready for Ajax football, I guess we will find out soon enough.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
And others say he can’t pass that well and not ready for Ajax football, I guess we will find out soon enough.
Yeah it's mostly negative but there are a few who admit he's become the boo boy and a lightning rod for fans. One chap said he's been 'thrown to the lions'. The main points all say he struggles with a short quick passing game 😬. But is very athletic. That's the bit that makes me think he would be more likely a Pervis succession plan than a Levi.

My favourite comment on there is that he's not streetwise 'Like a Franco Baresi'.

No f@cking sh@t!

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
I'll happily take him as a backup to Estupinuan, looks decent enough, but as a Colwill replacement I'm worried.

Fiskmås

Jan 2, 2020
Same fans who slated Veltman week in and week out. I'm looking forward to telling them tsk tsk again six months from now.

Last edited:

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Good friend of mine is a Rangers STH and he says,” would have him back in a heartbeat. He was developing really well in central defence,” So make of that what you will.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
To be fair he'd be more than worth it if he made us better at set pieces. Arguably our weakest area, absolute bobbins.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Good friend of mine is a Rangers STH and he says,” would have him back in a heartbeat. He was developing really well in central defence,” So make of that what you will.
Different levels though - Rangers play 80% of their season against utter dogshit, and that's based on them progressing in Europe

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Maybe it's this:
Please take Bassey off our hands and you can have Kudus at a decent price.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Signed for Fulham.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
He's already in the States with the rest of the Fulham team including Mitro (now there's lots of rumours he's staying) and new signing Raul Jiminez.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here