Calling all accountants!!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I assume you are all DIVAS at Excell?

Well I want to create a spreadsheet to hold information about a given bank account.

Basically I have one account to hold money for lots of different things, e.g. food and petrol.

I will be paying in a set amount each month and removing the money as and when I need it. However, I would like to track how much money I have for food and how much I have for petrol.

I could edit the spreadsheet manually once a month, when I pay the money in and also everytime I take some out.

My question is this;

Is it possible to have the spreadsheet update itself once a month when the money goes in? Or do I have to do it manually?

thank you.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
tedebear said:
Depends on where the data is coming from?

It's just a number in a cell. It's nothing clever.

All I want is to say = (if date = x then add £100)

or something.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Lammy said:

or something.

well yes of course it can do that - I thought you wanted to load your bank balance every month and then split it out into your expenses and then see whats left over?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
tedebear said:
well yes of course it can do that - I thought you wanted to load your bank balance every month and then split it out into your expenses and then see whats left over?

Wow that sounds good!! How do I do that?!?!?

Failing that, how do I do the simple version :)

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Depends what you want to do really...

I keep a spreadsheet to track each months bills. Our online banking has a facility to download the statement in data format and I open it up in excel and as long as all the direct debit vendors names are the same, I've got my spreadsheet set up to then plonk the bill under each category. However - thats a month in arrears to what you want to do I think?

What you could easily do without a download is on the day you get paid, plop that number in a particular cell, and then have some formulas set up to split that number into your expected petrol, food etc. expenses....then you can see what you'll have left after your expected expenses?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
tedebear said:
Depends what you want to do really...

I keep a spreadsheet to track each months bills. Our online banking has a facility to download the statement in data format and I open it up in excel and as long as all the direct debit vendors names are the same, I've got my spreadsheet set up to then plonk the bill under each category. However - thats a month in arrears to what you want to do I think?

What you could easily do without a download is on the day you get paid, plop that number in a particular cell, and then have some formulas set up to split that number into your expected petrol, food etc. expenses....then you can see what you'll have left after your expected expenses?

So I would still need to enter the amount daily.

What I'm after is a spread sheet that know how much I've been paid and when. This is a constant. All I should need to do is update how much has been spent each month on food and petrol for example.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lammy said:

What I'm after is a spread sheet that know how much I've been paid and when. This is a constant. All I should need to do is update how much has been spent each month on food and petrol for example.

Have you got enough money left over to pay a consultant to do this for you :lolol:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Lammy said:

You get paid daily? WOW - can I have your job? :lol:

Unless you have a direct feed from your bank account - you'll need to do this all manually. ie each time you deposit into your account and each time you spend. If the deposit amount is always the same then you'll not need to touch that cell.

At the beginning of the month you could split the deposit amount out into "expected" spend and, then, when you "actually" spend it - enter that number...giving you what's left over...

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
tedebear said:
I keep a spreadsheet to track each months bills. Our online banking has a facility to download the statement in data format and I open it up in excel

nerd alert! ;)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Lammy said:

or something.

A1 A2
Old Balance New Balance
1000 1100

This would display as an extra 100 quid if its the first of the month not sure if its quite what you are after

=IF(DAY(NOW())=1,A2,A2+100)

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
maffew said:
A1 A2
Old Balance New Balance
1000 1100

This would display as an extra 100 quid if its the first of the month not sure if its quite what you are after

Good man!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
maffew said:
A1 A2
Old Balance New Balance
1000 1100

I was trying to talk him out of doing that - but fair enough - seems to be what he wants...

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
tedebear said:
I was trying to talk him out of doing that - but fair enough - seems to be what he wants...

why?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
If you know the amounts in advance which it sounds like you do you could just do a simple lookup which will update depending on the day it is

so in Sheet1 A1 type
= now()

in Sheet1 B2 type
=VLOOKUP(INT(A1),Sheet2!$A$1:$B$11,2,FALSE)

in Sheet2 A1 Paste these values

date Value
14/05/2007 100
15/05/2007 200
16/05/2007 300
17/05/2007 400
18/05/2007 500
19/05/2007 600
20/05/2007 700
21/05/2007 800
22/05/2007 900
23/05/2007 1000