Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Interesting reading Gus's comments about inigo in today's Argus. Been meaning to start a topic on here about him for a while, but Gus has pretty much said what i wanted to say about him in today's rag. An "ambassador" for the club and his help getting the other Spanish players settled in Brighton is invaluable in my opinion. Met him when a few of us in the greyhound syndicate took the dogs to the Amex and have to say he was a proper Gent. All this bearing in mind he isn't even in the side.
I really hope he gets a contract extension because inigo around the club in any capacity is a major plus for BHA.:albion2:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Totally agree. I would love to see him stay on in a coaching capacity. With his degree in sports psychology, he is clearly a very astute bloke, who would probably be a great coach.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Got 'coach' written all over him one day. A great player that gives his all, has the talent to match and is a true gent. The longer we can keep him at the club the better.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I agree and if he has a role to play at the Albion (even if it's primarily non-playing) then he will definitely get a new contract offer. He has been a fantastic addition to our squad from day one and his ambassadorial role is just as important as his defensive cover one imo.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
There's no doubt in my mind he'll get a contract extension. Can play in quite a few positions very capably, as you say he is a great ambassador for the club and I believe he'll see out his career with us then be given a coaching role of some sort.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
What happens if he wants to be playing regularly though? It'll be a sad day when he leaves the club- remember the uproar when he left to Saints, and then came back!!

Hope he stays as player/coach but I do wonder if he would prefer more regular football, he's (only) 31!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Future manager?

(Don't necessarily mean for us, just in general)

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Does his contract run out end of this season?

I honestly think there is no gamble in giving him a 2 or 3 year extension because of the role he plays within the club. Even if he was injured or deemed not good enough at any point, he still has plenty of other strengths to offer the club. Not sure we all realise how hard it can be for a foriegn player to settle in a new country so I'd imagine someone like Calderon is so important to them players.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Got 'coach' written all over him one day. A great player that gives his all, has the talent to match and is a true gent. The longer we can keep him at the club the better.

Said to my aunt just last weekend post match the same thing to me is is now called Spanish Charlie. More than just a player.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nominated for PFA Player in the Community but as the awards were last Sunday, I suppose we can assume he didn't win it. He still does great work for AITC as well as a team player.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I suspect he will V Huddersfield.

Bruno IS the better player, but Calde really isn't far off - top player & professional.

I don't agree that Bruno is better. He started off ok but the bloke seems unable to defend and constantly gives the ball away. In my opinion he flatters to deceive. Much prefer Calde's 100% attitude and he rarely lets you down.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I don't agree that Bruno is better. He started off ok but the bloke seems unable to defend and constantly gives the ball away. In my opinion he flatters to deceive. Much prefer Calde's 100% attitude and he rarely lets you down.

Totally agree.. for me Bruno is still dining out on a couple of decent games at the beginning of the season, in particular Sheffield Wednesday at home.
I am probably blinded by Calderon tinted spectacles, but I think he deserves to be back in at RB this weekend. I totally agree that he is the ultimate professional and a excellent ambassador for the club. Is he out of contract at the end of the season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here