Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lets hope he ends up in the championship. I don't really want him at one of our promotion rivals.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
He's not really that good at defending.

I'm not too concerned about him not signing, it's more about the confidence he brings to the side rather than the ability he has

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Let's not do that stupid NSC sour grapes thing, of pretending that a departing player was 'not much good anyway'. It's embarrassing.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Good lower championship starter, exactly standard of player we need, but doesn't mean can't get another. Shouldn't over pay unless is final peice of puzzle and then sets dangerous precedent (sp)

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Let's not do that stupid NSC sour grapes thing, of pretending that a departing player was 'not much good anyway'. It's embarrassing.

I would not try to claim that he wasn't much good but on the other hand there are certainly better defenders around. What made Calderon great was his attacking and our 4-5-1 gave him the freedom to do that. If we change to 4-4-2 next season, which I think Poyet would like to, would he have the same opportunities to get forward or would a more solid defender, like Painter offers on the left, be better for the team?

That is not to say I wish he had stayed and I am really disappointed that he decided not to sign the contract. I am just saying that maybe it won't be a disaster, as ever depends who we get to replace him (hopefully not Hoyte).

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
He wasn't MUCH good anyway and won't be MISSED , just another FOREIGN flop and GOOD riddance to him.
WE need a TRIED and tested ENGLISH right back and Gus MUST ring Fergie today and get Garry Neville on a FREE.

I would rather have Whing than that horrible little wanker Neville :tosser:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I would not try to claim that he wasn't much good but on the other hand there are certainly better defenders around. What made Calderon great was his attacking and our 4-5-1 gave him the freedom to do that. If we change to 4-4-2 next season, which I think Poyet would like to, would he have the same opportunities to get forward or would a more solid defender, like Painter offers on the left, be better for the team?

That is not to say I wish he had stayed and I am really disappointed that he decided not to sign the contract. I am just saying that maybe it won't be a disaster, as ever depends who we get to replace him (hopefully not Hoyte).

There are better defenders around, shame they all play in the Championship or higher. Whether any of these 'better' defenders want to come an play for us is another thing.

Hopefully we will be able to replace him, but people shouldn't think that will be easy as he was top quality for this level.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Lets hope he ends up in the championship. I don't really want him at one of our promotion rivals.

I agree with this. I feel slightly wrong that part of me is still clinging on to the 1% chance he may still sign for us...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here