Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon expects to be fit to face Rams [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Inigo Calderon believes he can silence talk of an Albion left-back jinx – by getting back in the saddle at Derby.
The versatile defender reports good progress from the hefty blow he took to his foot against Charlton.
He reckons the time is right for the Seagulls to end their losing run at the iPro Stadium – and maintain their unbeaten record in the Championship.
Calderon, standing in for Liam Rosenior who was in turn replacing Gaetan Bong, was forced out of the 3-2 win over Charlton with a heavily swollen and bruised foot, sparking fears of a left-back hoodoo.

He told The Argus: “On Saturday and Sunday it was really painful but I feel much better now.
“It was a 50-50 challenge with the right-back and one of those that sometimes, if you get caught in a certain way, it can hurt.
“When you are playing you forget about it. But it started to swell.
“Hopefully I will be all right because it is improving a lot.”
Albion have lost on their last three visits to Derby and follow Saturday’s trip with big tests against QPR and Middlesbrough.
Calderon said: “They are not great memories at Derby but this is the best time for us to go there.
“If there’s a time we can erase these bad memories, it’s now.
“I like cycling, I like Le Tour and I see next week like the Alps or the Pyrenees.
“You can have three days in the mountains, each with a big stage, and this is like that for us.
“We will meet the best two teams in the division for me, Derby and Middlesbrough.
“And we play at one of the most difficult away stadiums, Loftus Road. Anything could happen.”
Calderon was talking as members of Albion’s male and female teams – including Gordon Greer, Bruno, David Stockdale, Charlotte Gurr and Faye Baker – visited children and handed out Christmas gifts at the Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital in Brighton.
He revealed: “It’s a coincidence because I am in hospital anyway with my daughter.
“I want to support the staff here and say thanks to them because they do an unbelievable job.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here