Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon - Contract Extension

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Why don't we bring back Gary Hart while we are at it? Sod people being past their prime, getting old or whatever - if they are popular with the fans and have been loyal servants we should just keep them and play them regardless

haggis

Aug 1, 2014
There are often posts about football losing its soul, with decisions made solely on a financial basis, sentimentality be damned. There are posts within this thread that typify that view, which is understandable as it's a fairly divisive subject.

To let Calde go may be indeed be the correct thing to do in terms of both book balancing and shaping a 'better' squad, but that doesn't mean it's still the right choice. He's clearly the club cult figure, runs himself into the ground when playing and seemingly jumps at the chance to help in the community whenever possible.

It's possibly wrong to point to him as representing the 'soul' of the club but his attitude is very much the kind that many wish was more (overtly) prevalent in football.

Essentially, give him a contract until he retires, then give him a new one doing whatever suits him best. If even half of his work ethic is passed on to a younger generation in that time then it will have been money well spent.
This is sense and loyalty. Calde epitomises an honest player always giving his best. We need people like him to support the youngsters coming through. Contract NOW!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Superb Albion role model off the pitch and prime purveyor of team spirit on the pitch. Also weighs in with some utterly crucial goals, the most recent being the 90th minute Get Out Of Jail card v Reading on Boxing Day. There's been many others.

Can't think of a single reason not to give him a year's contract extension.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Well, I'd very much prefer to pay Caldi (even if he didn't play very often) to sit on the bench than to pay any number of 'chancer journeymen' to do the same. I've not forgotten and never will that a few years ago? Caldi chose to sign for us when Southampton all but had the pen in his hand...he is :albion2:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
If we don't then I don't know who there'll be for me and everyone else to have as a cult figure.

Give him an extra year, we can then save up for the statue, shirt retirement, national day of celebration in his name etc. I bloody love the man.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
I think this is where a certain Mr Brian Lenihan was meant to step in before he chose Hull City.
The club has an experienced RB (Bruno) and his cover should be one of lads promoted from the Dev squad.
It is normal for youngsters who may be Centre Back in the Dev squad to get a chance at Left/Right Back as a step into the team.
Step forward Mr Glen Rea ?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
You mean David Burke ?

Give him a 1 year extension and then go from there, simple.

Burke was the one that took the fall, we don't know who else was involved. Do we? The extension should be a no brainer for what he (Calde) obviously brings to the Club.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think this is where a certain Mr Brian Lenihan was meant to step in before he chose Hull City.
The club has an experienced RB (Bruno) and his cover should be one of lads promoted from the Dev squad.
It is normal for youngsters who may be Centre Back in the Dev squad to get a chance at Left/Right Back as a step into the team.
Step forward Mr Glen Rea ?

I think Bradley Barry is the DS right back.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Much has been written here and elsewhere that players no longer have loyalty to any club; their only loyalty now is to the loot. Quite true. But with all "rules" there are exceptions....and this is one of them.

Calde has displayed loyalty to the club and is a great ambassador and thoroughly deserves an extension. In fact, I would like to see the club guarantee him a "job for life" (whether that be in coaching, AITC or whatever).

In Calde we have a golden nugget and it would be a travesty if the club ignored his passion, commitment and loyalty and failed to give him at least one more year.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Nooooooooooo! That's all I have to say on this matter, I will be extremely sad if Calderon leaves.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I am genuinely being serious in saying that I would have a statue of the bloke outside the ground right now. Cast in solid GOLD.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Chris Hughton was a right-back. At age 33 he joined Brentford, played one season and retired. Given Hughton's own experience, and the fact Bruno's contract has been extended along with Greer, I'd be surprised if Calde was still here next season.

I'd like to think he'd play a couple of seasons for someone local like Pompey or Crawley, get his badges, then come back as a coach in a couple of years.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Yes, he is a super ambassador for the club, and doubtless nice to his mum etc, but the point is surely -will he be up to it on the pitch. If you are convinced that he can go another year playing regularly, then fine, but if we award him a contract extension, because he is a jolly good chap, who will always turn up etc, then this is more questionable. There may be a role for him at the club in the future, which would please everyone, I am sure. But football is a business (yes, I know!!) and as with any other venture, you would wish to see a return for your money. No one would want their child to be taught by someone who was not quite up to it, but still on the school staff, because they are the life and soul of the staffroom.

The club gave Charlie Oatway contract extensions largely on the back of his influence in the dressing room. Micky Adams even considered taking him to Premier League Leicester and putting him in the first team squad - but rarely playing him - for the same reason. Calderon isn't an Oatway type figure (glory be) but his passion for the club is a huge and much-needed resource in these times of loan players and just-passin'-through signings. He's an asset and the club needs every asset it can get these days.

If Calderon is offered a decent contract but decides to leave for regular first team football then good luck to him. If he's offered little or nothing and has to go for that reason then that will speak volumes about how the suits are thinking.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd like to think he'd play a couple of seasons for someone local like Pompey...

Are you some kind of disgusting MONSTER? What the actual **** were you THINKING?

Just the thought of St Calde of Hove, donning the #twats shirt! has made me do a bit of sick in my mouth.

Shame on you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here