Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Calde was a liability"

Dec 29, 2011
There's no real debate, it was a late challenge. It was a booking. And unfortunately, Holloway saw that gap.

The strategy for Palace ATM =

1) pass to zaha does he cross effectively? If Yes celebrate + repeat.

2) If No, hoof it to Zaha, does he cross effectively? No, repeat step 2

Palace's game plan relies heavily on getting it out wide and getting good deliveries into Murray. I feel a lot more comfortable now Murray is injured.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Palace's game plan relies heavily on getting it out wide and getting good deliveries into Murray. I feel a lot more comfortable now Murray is injured.

By getting it out wide, you mean to Zaha. First half, when Bridge kept Zaha quiet they had NOTHING. And I use caps lock to illustrate how shit their tactics really are. Williams looked good, but he's no Bridcutt.

KP is no 90 minute man, we keep him and Zaha quiet on Monday - we will be absolutely fine. We just need to be more clinical, there was 2 clear cut chances that we scuffed. Although Ulloa's header in between the defenders was cheeky, and I give him credit for getting into that small amount of space...

I'm confident for Monday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Personally I think Calde was a weak link last night. That needless booking changed the game in my opinion. Holloway clearly saw the opportunity to take advantage of that and that's why he moved Zaha over to the left. This then pulled alot of our players out of position as they all moved over to help Calderon as he was on a booking. Then Holloway puts Bolasie on with space on the right and we never got going in the 2nd. Good management by Holloway put a poor booking for Calderon created the situation for Palace to take advantage.
All in all we ruled the first half, rode the 2nd and I feel we need cool heads on Monday because if we play well we'll beat them.
Irrespective as to how true that is, I ain't putting up with a Spurs fan saying that about my Calde.

As for West Ham & Leeds chiming in with how poor we were, I was fit to explode.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
we could also get more mileage out of jedinak's infuriating habit of leading with his elbows.......he was at it all night........twatt.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Irrespective as to how true that is, I ain't putting up with a Spurs fan saying that about my Calde.

As for West Ham & Leeds chiming in with how poor we were, I was fit to explode.

Just ask the Leeds fan how they performed in their playoff semi final

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Calde was up against the 15m man, Calde had been booked, he had to be careful........did Palace score......no, so job done.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just ask the Leeds fan how they performed in their playoff semi final

I did think aloud that it was a shame we had to play the second leg at Elland Road, due to all the Sky cameras permanently being there.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It wasn't for studs, it was because it was cynical. Looked like a clear booking on the telly.

Didn't look a clear booking to me ..Williams dived about ten feet

Strange reffing really Upson was clearly holding onto players a lot and Jedinak used his elbows more than his feet

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I must admit I wasnt impressed with Caldes defending against Zaha but feel that had Gus thought it a problem he would have either sent on El Abd with instructions to sit on him or even get Hammond to double up the cover against him but he did neither so must have been quite happy with Calde s game.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
bridge way too left footed to be effective against Zaha on the right

Thanks for your thoughts.

But a left-footed full-back can play on the right, surely? He'd be much stronger at stopping Zaha cutting inside than the other way. Where he would need to adjust his game is dealing with Zaha going outside, but I honestly think the biggest threat of Zaha is his dribbling towards the goal rather than going down the wing and crossing. I'd be interested in what others think of this.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I thought Calde did alright against Zaha 2nd half, there weren't that many moments where Zaha beat him and put quality in the box... When you add the mitigating circumstances of his yellow, then we should be pleased he played it the way he did (and didn't get sent off which given our fullback situation would have been a major problem)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I thought Calde did alright against Zaha 2nd half, there weren't that many moments where Zaha beat him and put quality in the box... When you add the mitigating circumstances of his yellow, then we should be pleased he played it the way he did (and didn't get sent off which given our fullback situation would have been a major problem)

Palace's resurgence in the second half can be pinpointed to the fact Zaha had far more space to run at the Brighton defence. This lifted the whole side. Doubling up on him allowed Zaha's colleagues to find more time.

Calderon didn't do terribly against Zaha, but I think the duel put Albion on the backfoot, especially as tackling is not a strength of his play. I'd prefer Bridge to follow Zaha and for him to not be able to escape but something so elementary as switching wings.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Palace's resurgence in the second half can be pinpointed to the fact Zaha had far more space to run at the Brighton defence. This lifted the whole side. Doubling up on him allowed Zaha's colleagues to find more time.

Calderon didn't do terribly against Zaha, but I think the duel put Albion on the backfoot, especially as tackling is not a strength of his play. I'd prefer Bridge to follow Zaha and for him to not be able to escape but something so elementary as switching wings.
If Bridge follows Zaha doesn't that take his attaching prowess out of the game?

If it ain't broke don't fix it! Concentrate on our game plans and not Palace's.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If Bridge follows Zaha doesn't that take his attaching prowess out of the game?

If it ain't broke don't fix it! Concentrate on our game plans and not Palace's.

It certainly would, but we've got enough other outlets for attacks. I think it's a sacrifice worth making. To have nullified Palace's main attacking threat would give us a great confidence to be able to attack.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The amazing thing to me is that Holloway didn't start with the billion pound man up against Calde after what happened at the Amex, when Zaha played well in the first half against Calderon and was then anonymous against Bridge in the second. But then since he'd switched Zaha from left to right in that game, perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised by his lack of tactical nous last night. Long may it continue. Or for 90 minutes on Monday anyway ...

There's also, I think, one weakness in our back line that several teams have exploited. A particular angle of ball in that I'm not going to mention here :) that can cause us big problems depending on personnel at the back... Seems so obvious to me that I can't believe they didn't ever try it. Particularly when Murray was fit as it just happens to also be his biggest strength...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here