Calais - day trip with the kids?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm just looking into a half term day out with the young jnr Stats.

I'll probably end up with my original thought, Isle of Wight Zoo.

But in true bloke fashion it didn't take long for my train of thought to go:-

If we're going on a ferry, lets go to France!

So Calais, on foot, 5 hours, 2 kids (6 & 8)
Is it worth it?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm just looking into a half term day out with the young jnr Stats.

I'll probably end up with my original thought, Isle of Wight Zoo.

But in true bloke fashion it didn't take long for my train of thought to go:-

If we're going on a ferry, lets go to France!

So Calais, on foot, 5 hours, 2 kids (6 & 8)
Is it worth it?
What an adventure, they'll love it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Boulogne is much nicer.
I've not put a lot of effort in, but the search 'All UK All France' didn't bring up anything for Boulogne.

Boulogne is much nicer.

Dieppe is nicer still, but not so many ferries (one each way each day). It irks me that when we go on our French hols we end up driving nearly 70 miles in the wrong direction to get to Dover and then 70miles back again in France.

Sadly despite researching the times each year the times for both Dieppe and the various destinations served from Portsmouth/Southampton they still don't fit in time or cost wise.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ive been told that Calais is no tourist spot. Dieppe is probably more like a proper sterotypical french town that just happens to have a ferry stop. only need to go as far as Newhaven too, though the 4 hour (iirc) ferry trip is to be considered.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Why not wait until Sunday 14th of April instead and treat 'em to a ferry trip and a short drive from Calais down to Roubaix instead :wink: They'll love it ! :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Other than the ferry crossing I can not see what fun a 6 and 8 year old would get out of going to Calais or indeed any French port. They are too young to enjoy many things that are on offer there, that the parents will enjoy. I think the Isle of Wight zoo would win their vote, hands down.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Other than the ferry crossing I can not see what fun a 6 and 8 year old would get out of going to Calais or indeed any French port. They are too young to enjoy many things that are on offer there, that the parents will enjoy. I think the Isle of Wight zoo would win their vote, hands down.

I think the hover craft is even cheaper and quicker over to the Island, and what young kid isn't going to love that! Also, there's Clarence Pier amusements while you wait for the trip over too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That is how I imagined this thread to go.

As said it was just standard, bigger, faster, further, bloke thinking.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Calais isn't exactly the nicest place plus the port is quite a way from the town - Isle of Wight a much better prospect.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Calais was pretty well flattened in WWII and so Old Calais is more or less a New Calais. There is some historical stuff but not much of it left if you're walking. There is a WWII museum in the park opposite the Town Hall which is near where the bus from the port would drop you off and few reasonable food outlets. I have spent the day there before now but mostly eating and drinking so not much in it for the youngsters. It is really a point on the way to somewhere else, eg Boulogne, St Omer, Arras etc. Pity the ferries dont go into Boulogne anymore.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Would consider St Malo from Pompey if you live n West Sussex

Mont St Michel well worth a visit

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would consider St Malo from Pompey if you live n West Sussex

Mont St Michel well worth a visit
There you go, good old NSC.

Although I assume San Malo is hardly a day trip.
I'll have a little look in the morning.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Boulogne has a very nice aquarium, far better then the Sealife Center. But I suppose you can't win tickets for it at the Amex.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
I would take them to a theme park rather than a French port. But check online, as this half term is around Hallowe'en so lots of the places have scary rides & stuff added in during half term.

Legoland does good fireworks some evenings Oct/Nov but it takes forever to get away again afterwards:

Pre-Book LEGO Monster Fighters Fireworks - LEGOLAND

I would take them there - or maybe to Fisher's Farm Park in Billingshurst, or Drusilla's or Knockhatch or Paulton's Park instead of spending hours with them feeling queasy on a ferry...and my kids found Mont St Michel boring when we were in France!

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Boulogne is just a far nicer place, with a real French feel, unlike Calais.

I bet the IOW will be a lot better though, especially if you can see it from the seafront before you go.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
ask that maths teacher, he will give you the low down on taking minors to france...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports