Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Cabbage thrown at Steve Bruce

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
That Villa were 2-0 at home to the league’s bottom side, and contrived to then concede 3, scrape back level, and then miss an injury time penalty was already pretty funny, regardless of the cabbage.

Blimey what happened to Preston, they were looking good last season?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Shameful behaviour. There is a line as a supporter of your club you don't cross. Whether Bruce has a muddled mind, is messing it up, he is not doing it on purpose and it is down to the owners and those running the club to deal with that. Even at the height of our dissatisfaction with Sami Hyppia, I never felt dissenting voices got out of hand, we respected our owner running the club, and from what I saw we mostly respected Hyppia as a man doing his best but out of his depth.

You cannot label all Villa fans with the same brush because one idiot decided to cross that line, but it is really no way to support your football team.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I didn't know that.

He kept changing between 1 up front and 2 up front, and switching positions of players like Grealish, regardless of whether the team played well, a sign of a muddled mind and clearly he had a lot on his plate.

Also, the impression you're giving from your last sentence is that CH is still quite bitter about CC leaving, which thus suggests he hasn't been able to properly replace him.

No it is NOT.

My comment had nothing to do with Chris' views. I have never discussed the situation about CC with anyone since the weekend after he left............................................. They are entirely MY thoughts and feelings.................................. Loyalty for me is one of the most important traits an a person and to me CC showed none of it.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
No it is NOT.

My comment had nothing to do with Chris' views. I have never discussed the situation about CC with anyone since the weekend after he left............................................. They are entirely MY thoughts and feelings.................................. Loyalty for me is one of the most important traits an a person and to me CC showed none of it.

Fair enough.

CC had worked eight years with Chris Hughton at four different clubs, that seems pretty loyal

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They do have an excellent set of payers that Bruce was woefully mismanaging, surprising really as he was exactly the kind of manager you'd think would stroll a promotion at a club like Villa, but hes clearly lost it somewhere along the way. Get the right guy in and they should get themselves back up sooner than later

Not convinced. They have a few decent individuals and have done well to keep hold of Grealish, but nothing I've seen from them this season suggest "Premier League team in waiting". Thierry Henry is apparently one of the frontrunners for the job. This would keep entirely within fitting with the foreign owners remit of getting a big name in, regardless of his managerial credentials.

Villa are now just another Leeds / Massive / Forest. A club with a sense of entitlement, living on past glories but mired in the reality of what they have now become.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Not convinced. They have a few decent individuals and have done well to keep hold of Grealish, but nothing I've seen from them this season suggest "Premier League team in waiting". Thierry Henry is apparently one of the frontrunners for the job. This would keep entirely within fitting with the foreign owners remit of getting a big name in, regardless of his managerial credentials.

Villa are now just another Leeds / Massive / Forest. A club with a sense of entitlement, living on past glories but mired in the reality of what they have now become.

I recall an epic exchange on the careful planning on throwing cake at Steve Coppell on his return to Withdean...don't you my chum?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I recall an epic exchange on the careful planning on throwing cake at Steve Coppell on his return to Withdean...don't you my chum?

I do indeed. I really had to do some BONING UP on my knowledge of all things cakeage and their missile suitability just to keep up with you.

Halcyon days.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
giphy.gif

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Fair enough.

CC had worked eight years with Chris Hughton at four different clubs, that seems pretty loyal

In my personal opinion he could well have been collecting Benefits if Chris hadn't given him the opportunities he did during those 8 years - CC told you himself, each time he was out of work he applied for jobs at all levels and got nothing and only when Chris landed a job did he get back into work. That's clear from several interviews by CC himself - So the loyalty you refer to seems to have been very one sided, on the part of CH who took him everywhere he landed a job

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
In my personal opinion he could well have been collecting Benefits if Chris hadn't given him the opportunities he did during those 8 years - CC told you himself, each time he was out of work he applied for jobs at all levels and got nothing and only when Chris landed a job did he get back into work. That's clear from several interviews by CC himself - So the loyalty you refer to seems to have been very one sided, on the part of CH who took him everywhere he landed a job

I highly doubt CH is giving someone a job because he's his mate, it will be because he is eminently qualified for the position. I certainly hope thats the case

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Well.. he's unemployed now and as not as newsworthy as he once was.

Maybe we'll see the headline "Steve Bruce thrown at Cabbage" next?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I highly doubt CH is giving someone a job because he's his mate, it will be because he is eminently qualified for the position. I certainly hope thats the case

Not expanding any more. You are either missing or ignoring what I am saying.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003

.... McGinn, Kodjia, Bolasie, Adomah, Hourihane, Lansbury, Abraham... ... question marks in defence certainly..

I don't actually see that with Villa. Loads of 'Villa are a big club, deserve to be in the premier league' from pundits and talking heads on the radio, not very much of that coming out of the club itself and the Villa fans I know, of which there are many, are a world apart from the Leeds fans I've encountered.

They've been wanting Bruce out for ages. Just tinkers far too much.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Steve Bruce, like Chris Hughton, is one of the most honest and decent people in football. He never asks anyone to do anything he wouldn't be prepared to do himself.

The difference is that Brighton as a club have shown and continue to show that decency is a quality that they attach a lot of importance to and this is one of the fundamental reasons why the club is prospering, it has fostered stability and created a positive working environment, whether that's for players or other staff at the club.

That doesn't seem to be a philosophy shared by Aston Villa, whose sense of entitlement is odd given that they achieved little of note since the advent of colour television. It's perhaps because Villa have lost sight of that decency that they have lost their way as a club. Steve Bruce lost both of his parents in a short space of time earlier this year, but kept reporting to duty at what must have been a traumatic time and got his side to within 90 minutes of promotion, just edged out in the end by a very good Fulham side. You can imagine if he was an employee of Brighton in that situation, the club would have gone out of its way to support him, as shown by what they did when Antony Knockaert lost his father.

Villa could easily have fallen off a cliff after their relegation and ended up in the position Sunderland are now in. They didn't do that because Steve Bruce stabilised them, going from 12th in that first season to 6th last season. He left with the team 2 points outside the play-offs after a turbulent summer where they made their signings late because of the takeover after the previous owner didn't seem to have the money he originally promised. Consequently, they had to mainly make loan signings as they were not helped by the hare-brained idea of closing the transfer window before the start of the season in a World Cup summer.

Given that Fulham were 17th after 17 games last season and got promoted, there was plenty of time for Villa to pick up and I dare say they still could and the new man will get the credit. The Championship is significantly weaker compared to the last 2-3 seasons, there is no outstanding side and if a team gets on a run of winning 8-10 games in a row, they'll more than likely win the division. No-one seems to have any patience these days so even good football men get subjected to abuse.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here