Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] C4 Italia 90:When Football Changed Forever

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I think you may be over estimating the capacity of those 'gangleaders' to hold, let alone act on, a grudge. Hardly a mafia style thirst for vengeance handed down from father to son.

More like sad overweight middle aged men waddling about behind their beer bellies whilst dreaming of past 'glories' - the great days when they led a bunch of dim drunken idiots up a road, did a bit of racism, scared some old ladies and got beaten up by the Italian police.
Nicely summed up. And don't forget that 90% involved were nothing more than masters of the infamous but laughable " hold me back but let me at them ' dance. With apologies for using the language they loved just how many were prepared to actually ' go toe to toe " with another person in a fair fight? In so many of the clips you still see a plethora of cowards only fighting when numbers on their side or the classic putting the sneaky boot in when somebody is already on the ground.

I turned this show off after 20 mins as it paradoxically celebrates and reminiscences about the idiots. And don't get me started on some of the brain deads interviewed who will no doubt get misty eyed

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Best World Cup 1990. Loved it.
Indeed. I remember rushing home from school to see Republic of Ireland beat Romania on penalties in the last 16 on a sunny Monday afternoon. So pleased for Big Jack.

The games were low-scoring but no less dramatic. Nine-man Cameroon stunning the holders Argentina in the opening match. Brilliant. :love:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Italia 90 was absolutely brilliant, we had a team good enough to win it and got so close, so sad for Sir Bobby and the boys to miss out.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The age old chant of....

"He's fat, he's round, his arse is on the ground, "insert players name", "insert player name".....

Repeat to fade.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’m still not over it so cannot bring myself to watch. Heard it’s very good though.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Anyone recall the tale of the Germans locked in the Pink Coconut in West Street after the semi-final?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Great watch this series. Don't remember too much as was too young, but very interesting the mix of what was going on on the pitch as well as off it. Would never defend thugs causing mayhem but the police seemed so heavy handed and the approach so oppressive it must've been tough not to get caught up or react in some cases even if you had no intention of causing any trouble whatsoever. I guess they felt they had no choice but to police in that way with all the publicity around English hooligans at that time and the notion we were so much more notorious than any other nation's hooligans
Warm words from the Ex Deputy of Police in Sardinia

“The English were all obese, they had impressive beer bellies and were difficult to beat up”
Barely saw one obese, or even overweight, lad in the whole series! Different world today

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here