Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] C4 Italia 90:When Football Changed Forever

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Surprised no thread on this as the PPF would be wetting his pants over the football fighting.

Very interesting though and well worth a watch, naughty Mrs T got undercover cops to infiltrate the football hooligan gangs.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Some on here look back on those days through rose tinted spectacles when in reality the violence, hooliganism and mass disorder was frightening to most decent people and an embarrassment to our country.

No pussy footing. Strong and decisive actions were required to regain and then maintain law and order, with in some cases the innocents losing some freedom.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I'm surprised those undercover plod are going on this - the hooligan gangleaders they put away must be out now.
I think you may be over estimating the capacity of those 'gangleaders' to hold, let alone act on, a grudge. Hardly a mafia style thirst for vengeance handed down from father to son.

More like sad overweight middle aged men waddling about behind their beer bellies whilst dreaming of past 'glories' - the great days when they led a bunch of dim drunken idiots up a road, did a bit of racism, scared some old ladies and got beaten up by the Italian police.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Des and Pavarotti. What isn't there to like.

Final was the worst game I have ever sat through.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I was there - ending with those tears in Turin.

Great times - I don't mean the violence, just the buzz of watching England in a World Cup again with lads who just wanted to follow England and have a good time.

I didn't go to Mexico in 86 ( friend of mine did, met a Mexican girl and never came back!) although I did go to Spain in 82.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Only because we did well. Outside of England, the view tends to be it was actually a bit shit compared to 1986, 1994 and 1998.
Isn't it the case that everyone's first memorable World Cup is "the best" one?

France '98 for me.

Reactions: A1X

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

France '98 for me.
Not sure. The first one I remember was 82, and there were some memorable games of course (Brazil 2-3 Italy stands out, as does the W Germany France semi), but it was also blighted by fixed games (Algeria!), a stupid round robin 3 team group stage, and horrific negative football.

Trying to look at it objectively, Mexico 1986 was really good, so was 1994 (USA), 1998 (France), 2002 (Japan, S Korea) and 2014 (Brazil). But 2018 (Russia), and 2010 (South Africa) not so much. I don't think 1990 was anything other than average, except for England's progression.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
i thought the programme was cut extremely short could've included much more, did it change things, all i can say there is not lone it didnt but was part of

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
i thought the programme was cut extremely short could've included much more, did it change things, all i can say there is not lone it didnt but was part of
Seeing as there is still one episode as yet how did you work out it was extremely cut short ?

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

France '98 for me.
Pretty much, France 98 for me as well on that score. It's the same as what happens with Doctor Who / James Bond / popular bands, the first we get into will automatically end up being viewed with far more fondness than any which come after.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Surprised no thread on this as the PPF would be wetting his pants over the football fighting.

Very interesting though and well worth a watch, naughty Mrs T got undercover cops to infiltrate the football hooligan gangs.
PPF is no longer an active citizen of this parish.

Thankfully.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Warm words from the Ex Deputy of Police in Sardinia

“The English were all obese, they had impressive beer bellies and were difficult to beat up”
The actually thought people looked pretty slim compared to what you see these days

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here