Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bye Bye First Capital Connect

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Didn't you say over last 5 years?

Correct. Over the last 5 years, across the whole network, and not some isolated single survey which concentrates on just 3 lines on one service out of the three DB run.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Heading out now. I look forward to Ernest taking up this charitable challenge.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Just to add I lived in Denmark for about a year, around 9 years ago now.

Only got the train around 20 times, Odense to Copenhagen, and it wasn't late or delayed once. I was travelling off peak times however, and the trains are quite pricey from what I remember.

The biggest difference was the quality of the rolling stock, in terms of space, service and comfort. I actually remember asking the person I was with if we had accidentally sat in first class by mistake.

Our trains are comparatively shit and old, but I do quite like the Grand Central Services trains (old Virgin trains resprayed black and gold with pictures of Marilyn Monroe, and chess boards printed onto the tables... The pendolinos are nice too, but always very busy for some reason

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Just to add I lived in Denmark for about a year, around 9 years ago now.

Only got the train around 20 times, Odense to Copenhagen, and it wasn't late or delayed once. I was travelling off peak times however, and the trains are quite pricey from what I remember.

The biggest difference was the quality of the rolling stock, in terms of space, service and comfort. I actually remember asking the person I was with if we had accidentally sat in first class by mistake.

Our trains are comparatively shit and old, but I do quite like the Grand Central Services trains (old Virgin trains resprayed black and gold with pictures of Marilyn Monroe, and chess boards printed onto the tables... The pendolinos are nice too, but always very busy for some reason

Pendolinos are on the WCML which is the busiest rail corridor in Europe I believe.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Cheers

Also, people are confusing "long haul" services with local providers.

I can only think of one provider being so absolutely broken and shit that they are literally incompetent; when National Express "ran" the main London Kings X/Edinburgh line. Thank **** GNER got it back. I think they actually had the tender taken off them they were so gash

Most of the problems are due to old infrastructure, our high population/low investment and the physical capabilities of the lines to take bigger and better rolling stock

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Cheers

Also, people are confusing "long haul" services with local providers.

I can only think of one provider being so absolutely broken and shit that they are literally incompetent; when National Express "ran" the main London Kings X/Edinburgh line. Thank **** GNER got it back. I think they actually had the tender taken off them they were so gash

Most of the problems are due to old infrastructure, our high population/low investment and the physical capabilities of the lines to take bigger and better rolling stock

Wrong, they handed back the franchise

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

FFS. This article relates to improvement. Maybe the UK is the most improved but it had a very low baseline to rise from. Besides, your previous assertions relate to punctuality. Please just put your money where your mouth is and post figures relating to this. You made some very bold and confident claims earlier.....back them up. Prove me wrong and make REMF 50 quid. And don't back out with the whatever-I-post-you-won't-listen line; everyone on this site will be able to see who has the most credible argument.

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

All the stock they bought for the Malmo services (and which continue on well in to Denmark beyond Copenhagen) are extremely high spec; the rest aren't quite as nice. I think they have in-seat audio like on a lot of US domestic aircraft, ten channels or so of music available.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Wrong, they handed back the franchise

The government released them from their contractual obligation due to the huge losses they were making.

They were making huge losses due to a number of reasons, such as overpaying for the contract in the first place, fines due to persistent late running and cancellations, high ticket prices induced by fuel costs increasing, etc

Basically they ran it into the ground due to inexperience and poor management

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
FCC/Thameslink will never be able to run a punctual service. Even on a jumper-free day in the East Croydon area, there is always some kind of power supply nonsense going on north of the Thames. They need to split the damn franchise in half. How many people actually ever needed to go to Bedford anyway?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
All the stock they bought for the Malmo services (and which continue on well in to Denmark beyond Copenhagen) are extremely high spec; the rest aren't quite as nice. I think they have in-seat audio like on a lot of US domestic aircraft, ten channels or so of music available.

The seats were like detached armchairs, it was phenomenal. The DSB were the model of how to run a railway

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Why, don't you have any evidence to back up the shit you talk?

He posted a link with official statistics in it related to punctuality showing that UK trains were not only more punctual but that satisfaction was higher in the UK, you ignored it. Stop being a pr*ck and p*ss of to some german forum to get your tongue brown, we're all bored of it here.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Here's my perspective from the opposite end of the FCC network. Having experienced FCC's services to and from Brighton I was not filled with confidence when I relocated to Norfolk and found that they also run my local service into Kings Cross. However as an occasional (mainly for footie) off peak train user I feel that FCC do a good job. No frills, but generally punctual, clean and reasonably fast. Yes there is scope for improving quality, but I am generally happy to use the weekend service. The main downside is a lack of capacity which is being addressed by new rolling stock, longer trains and extended platforms.

I can also give the thumbs up for East Coast Trains (formerly National Express) into Kings Cross, now publicly owned and generally very good. Peterborough to KX in 40 minutes, not bad.

However I would give a huge thumbs down to the Norwich - Ipswich - Liverpool St service which is a real lottery, horrendously unreliable mainly due to obsolete infrastructure and incompetent project management by Network Rail who compounded this with a series of PR blunders. The sad thing is the line enjoys slightly older inter city style trains but the signalling is circa 1960s, so they have to plod along. The Dutch train operator 'Abellio' receives huge volumes of complaints, but Network Rail admit it is not the operator's fault. I would not want to be a commuter on that line - and I'm very wary of using that line to get to the Ipswich game on Tuesday.......

So I'm actually quite grateful to have FCC as a more convenient alternative for routes via London.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
About 15 years ago I travelled across Germany in a blizzard: I was was up to my ankles in snow just walking to the station. The train ended up running two minutes later and the guard sounded almost in tears as he apologised for the late running.

Contrast that to Southern which, just this week, was revealed to have the worst performance of any train operator with just 54% of trains running on time.

tbh, i would expect them to cope with snow pretty well. and we dont, never have, we dont have enough bad weather to justify suitable systems to cope properly. for me the thing the rail companies really fail on is communication, so when there is a problem you work out whats going on.

im more interested in the jumper responce, in light of another recent thread that highlighted suicide rate on german rail is 2.5x higher, so there must be some marked impact to service, no?

that 54% seems ridiculously low, but then i dont think my train is ever bang on time in or out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He posted a link with official statistics in it related to punctuality showing that UK trains were not only more punctual but that satisfaction was higher in the UK, you ignored it. Stop being a pr*ck and p*ss of to some german forum to get your tongue brown, we're all bored of it here.

This is a chat-room. If you find me boring don't read what I post. It's that simple. There's also a handy facility called ignore, try it. It's so simple even maybe even you can use it? If you prefer to back up one-trick-ponies who talk unsubstantiated rubbish then fine.

For the record, Ernest probably knows that the official government figure (not some 2011 EU passenger survey like the one he posted and which you refer to) for the last year across the UK for punctuality is lower than in Germany. And this is probably the reason he is searching high and low and posting spurious 3 year old articles and not posting current easily accessible figures.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here