Bye Bye Barnes [Merge of many threads]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Thing is, there are two groups of haters on here: one group (a minority, a vocal minority) thinks he's a useless player, so his suspension shouldn't affect us. The other group think he's an idiot for losing his cool and getting sent off AGAIN for the 3rd time in less than two seasons, and his absence may well cost us. Take your pick.

Exactly. I am firmly in the latter camp here. We needed Barnes now more than at any other point in the season. I think you can give someone a second chance (after Shef Weds) but he has now got himself sent off again and that is unacceptable.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
It's Gus' fault.

He plays a player out of his depth week in week out in the championship. So It's no wonder Barnes gets frustrated. Ashley Barnes is a league 1 or 2 player....I wish I was. I hope he moves back down to the level he belongs as although I don't rate him and don't want him in an albion shirt (and I'm tempted to say told you so to a lot on here, but I am probably on their ignore lists anyhow.) he doesn't deserve some of the comments that will probably come his way.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Ok we'll wait and see then as to whether Barnes said anything to the ref. Fancy a wager supaseagull ?

The ref will always stick to his initial decision... for a straight red foul and abusive language seems about right.. professional footballers should know better

Irresponsible behavior, but not a club career ending action. People may be forgetting good old Charlie for example and his long ban for biting someone's face (nose I think) and getting sent of again on his return for punching someone - I don't recall too many back in the day demanding he never played for us again.

Sadly some people have dodgy temperaments - that's life. That said a good 2 weeks wages fine should be forthcoming.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
I am guessing it was more than a few ff's from Mr Barnes. I have lost count of the times he has screamed at the officials, so its not surprising that eventually he would encounter one that was not in the mood for it!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Exactly, people slag Barnes off for acting like that - but then act like it themselves !!

Errr, can you not see a difference? Anyone with brains knows when it is acceptable or unacceptable to swear. His lack of intelligence is staggering.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Exactly, people slag Barnes off for acting like that - but then act like it themselves !!

what on earth has that got to do with anything? Penalty for me is getting an infraction/ban from a forum. Penalty for him is getting a 3/4 match ban when we are desperately in need of his services to get us to the promised land ... he is supposed to be a professional

Spot the difference?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
what on earth has that got to do with anything? Penalty for me is getting an infraction/ban from a forum. Penalty for him is getting a 3/4 match ban when we are desperately in need of his services to get us to the promised land

Spot the difference?

Its more the point of it in general rather in specific circumstances but carry on.....

Just very ironic to be abusive about a player sent off for being abusive......

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I was at the game and no excuses for Barnes. Was never a penalty and Barnes just loses it when he feels he has been wronged. He should be fined the max by Gus and told to ****ing grow up.

greenfordgull

Feb 2, 2009
Irresponsible behavior, but not a club career ending action. People may be forgetting good old Charlie for example and his long ban for biting someone's face (nose I think) and getting sent of again on his return for punching someone - I don't recall too many back in the day demanding he never played for us again.

Sadly some people have dodgy temperaments - that's life. That said a good 2 weeks wages fine should be forthcoming.

I don't think Poyet is as tolerant of petulance as Adams was all those year ago. In the summer, being 2 divisions higher and much wealthier than we were then, Poyet can afford to be choosier about what he tolerates and how he could replace him. I am not sure we have the squad depth to freeze him out completely for the rest of the season, but the odds on him leaving the summer are a lot shorter than at 4.40 this afternoon.

Yes, but they aren't footballers that know they will get sent off if they swear at the officials are they? Your argument and defence is pathetic. I can't believe anyone is saying they want to see if we appeal! There's nothing to appeal! The ref may have over reacted, and I'm sure Barnes wasn't the only player to swear this afternoon but that doesn't excuse him. He's more of a liability than an asset right now that's for sure.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
As a professional he should have known better and getting sent off seconds from the end for foul and abusive language is unforgivable. It leaves the team witn 1 striker, a striker that is not yet 100% fit due to lack of games and consequently will struggle with 5 games in a week and I think you can understand peoples annoyance with barnes. His action or reaction could be extremely costly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports