Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] By Elections x2

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Another great advert for political reform, turnout was illegally low.

Says more about the quality of our politicians than anything. Yes the tories are scum and are dry humping 95% of the populous, but labour aren't exactly knights in shining armour. More dweebs with bacofoil tank tops!

Yeah this is the most depressing thing about the set of results, we need (1) to make voting a legal duty and (2) proportional representation. Too many people are disengaged with the whole process.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yeah this is the most depressing thing about the set of results, we need (1) to make voting a legal duty and (2) proportional representation. Too many people are disengaged with the whole process.
No thanks!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
1. Err, no thanks. I vote in every election ( except PCC ones which I don't agree with ) BUT abstaining is a valid voting option. Even MPs use it in Parliament.

2. Yes please.

Reactions: A1X

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Dorries only resigned as she knew she would get mullered like this, gutless and a disgrace as she rarely attended parliament, only if forced to and did nothing for her constituents, but found plenty of time to work on Talk TV. She is emblematic of a failing democracy and well done to the people of mid Beds for punishing her the contempt she held for them

Lets totally wipe out the Tories for several generations, next year. Never again
I'm sure she'll be doing extensive analysis tonight on what went wrong in Mid-Beds.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
One thing to also bear in mind is worldwide we’re seeing a bit of a kick back against the leaders who took countries through COVID. It happened in Poland and New Zealand last weekend. It’s previously happened in Germany, Australia, Brazil, Sweden, Italy and arguably even the US, among others. That is likely to also be happening here.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
One thing to also bear in mind is worldwide we’re seeing a bit of a kick back against the leaders who took countries through COVID. It happened in Poland and New Zealand last weekend. It’s previously happened in Germany, Australia, Brazil, Sweden, Italy and arguably even the US, among others. That is likely to also be happening here.
Even though, in this country, "Labour wouldn't of done any better", according to a certain section of the electorate...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Sunak’s about the only grown-up they’ve got left. I hope to god he hangs on until the election, there’s still a lot of damage that could be done by these human wrecking balls.

I wish he’d just call an election now and put us all out of our misery.

Would that be this grown up Rishi Sunak, who has either been PM or Chancellor throughout almost all of this cabal's 4 years of f***wittery ? Even the Conservative party chose Truss/Kwarteng over him :facepalm:

Covid inquiry: Sunak called Dr Death by top scientist​

Prof Edmunds told the inquiry 45,000 people had just died - and while the pub and restaurant sector needed support, the government could have just given them money.
"This was a scheme to encourage people to take an epidemiological risk," he added. But in earlier testimony to the inquiry, he said he was "still angry" about the policy.
"It was one thing to take your foot off the brake - but another to put your foot on the accelerator," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67163232

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
1. Err, no thanks. I vote in every election ( except PCC ones which I don't agree with ) BUT abstaining is a valid voting option. Even MPs use it in Parliament.

2. Yes please.
Unusual to find anyone who cares enough about PCC elections to actually have an opinion. What is your objection and what would you have replace them?

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Would that be this grown up Rishi Sunak, who has either been PM or Chancellor throughout almost all of this cabal's 4 years of f***wittery ? Even the Conservative party chose Truss/Kwarteng over him :facepalm:

Covid inquiry: Sunak called Dr Death by top scientist​

Prof Edmunds told the inquiry 45,000 people had just died - and while the pub and restaurant sector needed support, the government could have just given them money.
"This was a scheme to encourage people to take an epidemiological risk," he added. But in earlier testimony to the inquiry, he said he was "still angry" about the policy.
"It was one thing to take your foot off the brake - but another to put your foot on the accelerator," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67163232

Yes. That’s the one. It’s pretty breathtaking when you think about it, but he is the top talent currently contained within this iteration of the Conservative Party. Not because he has exceptional talent or leadership skills, not because of his decision-making or ability to strategise.

He stands head and shoulders above the rest of his party, because (despite absolutely being a posh boy shielded from the economic realities facing many of us) his mind makes contact with reality sometimes.

That is where the bar is in this iteration of the British Conservatives. The rest of the party is frankly absolutely frothing at the mouth.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Yes. That’s the one. It’s pretty breathtaking when you think about it, but he is the top talent currently contained within this iteration of the Conservative Party. Not because he has exceptional talent or leadership skills, not because of his decision-making or ability to strategise.

He stands head and shoulders above the rest of his party, because (despite absolutely being a posh boy shielded from the economic realities facing many of us) his mind makes contact with reality sometimes.

That is where the bar is in this iteration of the British Conservatives. The rest of the party is frankly absolutely frothing at the mouth.
Sunak is a wolf in sheep's clothing. He continues to push the far right agenda of that wing of the party more than willingly, but tries to present himself as the reasonable and sensible face balancing the various factions of the Tories.

All he has to do is not be a bumbling fool like Johnson or Truss. Luckily the public seem to see through it.

It's a shame that Starmer and Labour have taken the approach of "stand back and watch them implode" rather than taking the initiative and building political standpoints of their own. I guess it makes sense given how divided their own support is post Brexit but it's hardly inspiring.

Labour needs votes from both Leave voting ex-industrial heartlands, and Remain voting multicultural metropolises. That's a hard balance to find, hence the wishy washiness that were seeing.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Unusual to find anyone who cares enough about PCC elections to actually have an opinion. What is your objection and what would you have replace them?
My objection is that it's made the running of the police even more political - most candidates stand as a member of a political party. I'd go back to the previous model, while not perfect it did allow for a modicum of consensus because councillors of all parties decided who should run the police force.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
All we can really learn from these by-elections is that the Conservative vote has collapsed and none of the other mainstream parties are inspiring enough for people to bother to switch their vote to them, choosing rather to stay at home, which plays into the hands of Reform UK and their ilk.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Sunak is a wolf in sheep's clothing. He continues to push the far right agenda of that wing of the party more than willingly, but tries to present himself as the reasonable and sensible face balancing the various factions of the Tories.

All he has to do is not be a bumbling fool like Johnson or Truss. Luckily the public seem to see through it.

It's a shame that Starmer and Labour have taken the approach of "stand back and watch them implode" rather than taking the initiative and building political standpoints of their own. I guess it makes sense given how divided their own support is post Brexit but it's hardly inspiring.

Labour needs votes from both Leave voting ex-industrial heartlands, and Remain voting multicultural metropolises. That's a hard balance to find, hence the wishy washiness that were seeing.

I’m mostly in agreement with you, except that I can’t tell honestly (from here on the outside) whether Sunak is the wolf in sheep’s clothing, or is being pushed into fresh compromise after fresh compromise to the right of the party as their price for continuing to permit his leadership.

I honestly don’t think the Conservative Party now have any interests outside their own. My one hope is that if moves are made to topple Sunak, that he has the good sense to press the election button rather than allowing the country to drift through another year of this shitshow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PR is the way forward; FPTP is a nonsense in todays world.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
The next elections will be interesting in Sussex. It seems very likely that Hastings, Worthing and Crawley would go Labour, Lewes and Eastbourne Lib Dem.

Given the results in the recent local elections, constituency boundary changes and the remain voting professional demographics of these constituencies, is there a realistic chance that Horsham and Mid Sussex could choose Lib Dem?

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The next elections will be interesting in Sussex. It seems very likely that Worthing and Crawley would go Labour, Lewes and Eastbourne Lib Dem.

Given the results in the recent local elections, constituency boundary changes and the remain voting professional demographics of these constituencies, is there a realistic chance that Horsham and Mid Sussex could choose Lib Dem?
Is that East Worthing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here