[Technology] Buying pre owned smartphones

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thinking of replacing my current Galaxy phone and considering buying a "used" one.

I will welcome views regarding this and whether it is a wise move. Comments as to who to buy from, or avoid also welcomed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
got an Apple off Music Magpie, couple of generations old. listed as very good condition, only few minor scuff markings on the back.

A cheeky bounce. Pondering on replacing my somewhat tired Galaxy tablet with a newer model. Any experiences to share please on purchasing from one of the on line stores who sell pre owned devices of this nature?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I got an iPhone from CEX when my other one shat itself and would no longer charge.

All guaranteed and warranty etc. I was pleased with it and had it for a year until I was due an upgrade on my contract.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Bought both my last 2 iPhones second hand. My current iPhone 13 Mini was approx £150 cheaper than the new version, and is absolutely pristine. Got this one from Amazon after doing loads of price comparisons - and Amazon provides a one year guarantee. Also recently bought a MacBook second hand - impossible to tell it wasn’t new.
Personally, unless you crave the absolute latest model, I don’t see the point in buying new.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
What's the reason to upgrade?

Are you seeking more / faster power / storage? Bigger screen?
Or has the battery become worn to the point that two charges per day have become necessary?

If you're basically happy with the phone, maybe consider just having the battery replaced ....

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
I shall never buy a second hand phone again. Going back a while, bought an iphone 6 from Carphone Warehouse, refurbed n all that, nothing but trouble for 2 years back n forth, 3 new batteries.... Now buy new, direct from Apple and use their 2 year 0% interest credit...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
My current phone was a used one from Giffgaff. Couldn't really tell it was used but you can now ! Really don't understand the point of paying for these expensive contracts when companies like Giffgaff are so good.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Bought a used Iphone 10 for my son from Magic Magpie, its been great. Battery is bit weak after 12 months use, but replaced for only £35.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Not all "refurbished" mobile phones are the same, unfortunately. "Refurbished" as a label does not necessarily mean it has had any repairs or parts replaced. A phone can be called refurbished simply by giving it a good inspection and a clean.

What you want to look for are companies who give a commitment beyond just slapping a "refurbished" label on the phone. Things like longer warranty than regulations require, and in particular any minimum standards the device must meet (eg giffgaff guarantee all their refurbished phones have a minimum 80% battery health)

SAC

May 21, 2014
I would worry about the battery life of a 2nd hand phone so I tend to go for phones that are new (unused) but a couple of models old.

I just bought a new S22 for £350 plus VAT (£420) which is the same price as a refurbished one.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I would worry about the battery life of a 2nd hand phone so I tend to go for phones that are new (unused) but a couple of models old.

I just bought a new S22 for £350 plus VAT (£420) which is the same price as a refurbished one.
Edit, where do you find new old stock items?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports