Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying a new mower

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I've ordered this fella, as it was a good price and is big enough for my lawn, but not too big.

Daft question I know, but having never had a petrol mower before, can I just use the standard petrol out of the petrol pump?

Yes

Don't forget to change oil plus filter and perhaps get the blades sharpened at end of season

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My garden was turfed a couple of weeks ago. After a decent amount of rain, I'm quite pleased with how it's looking (particularly as the drainage in one corner seemed to be roughly on a par with the Somme before that). At some stage over the next few weeks, I'll have to invest in a mower, so this thread is particularly opportune in its timing. Thanks!

Don't forget to cut it high at the beginning even if it means more regular cutting

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
The timing of this thread couldn't be more perfect, but after reading all the comments I'm more confused than ever without a clue what to buy. Love that a football forum is the place for any advice or debate of any kind haha

Bought my first house, with a pretty decent sized garden. With some rather over enthusiastic 'help' from the father in law and his awful, ancient old flymo, what was a lush green lawn is now F#cked! It's brown and patchy as hell. He cut it back too fast and too short before I could stop him. Despite all the advice i'd been given to gradually work it back.

Anyway, I've aerated it, fed and seeded it to try and help it recover. If the hail hasn't ruined my efforts, it's had plenty of rain, so fingers crossed it'll recover. I've done everything I can.

Now, I'm reading I want a petrol 4 stroke, self propelled mower? I think.

Wish I could find a top 10 list of options when I google.

Is it unrealistic to think I can get a decent petrol (worth having) for £150-200? Should I just go electric and expect a better machine for my budget? I am skint obviously, since buying the house, and maybe £250ish is my absolute max for a really good mower I guess. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The timing of this thread couldn't be more perfect, but after reading all the comments I'm more confused than ever without a clue what to buy. Love that a football forum is the place for any advice or debate of any kind haha

Bought my first house, with a pretty decent sized garden. With some rather over enthusiastic 'help' from the father in law and his awful, ancient old flymo, what was a lush green lawn is now F#cked! It's brown and patchy as hell. He cut it back too fast and too short before I could stop him. Despite all the advice i'd been given to gradually work it back.

Anyway, I've aerated it, fed and seeded it to try and help it recover. If the hail hasn't ruined my efforts, it's had plenty of rain, so fingers crossed it'll recover. I've done everything I can.

Now, I'm reading I want a petrol 4 stroke, self propelled mower? I think.

Wish I could find a top 10 list of options when I google.

Is it unrealistic to think I can get a decent petrol (worth having) for £150-200? Should I just go electric and expect a better machine for my budget? I am skint obviously, since buying the house, and maybe £250ish is my absolute max for a really good mower I guess. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about eBay? There seems to be plenty of lawn mowers on there. Do you need a brand new one?

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
What about eBay? There seems to be plenty of lawn mowers on there. Do you need a brand new one?

No, I'm always buying second hand. Love grabbing bargains off eBay but mowers don't seem to hold their value from what I've read. Most people seem to talk about replacing them constantly?

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
Perfect timing for this thread as i am too on the move, to house with a bigger garden etc and in need for a mower upgrade.
I want stripes on my lawn as i'm old fashioned and like the sight of a proper lawn with proper stripes, so it's a petrol with a rear roller for me. I have narrowed it down to two.either Hayter or Mountfield. I'm leaning towards the Hayter Spirit 41

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You wanna get one of these :)

image.jpeg
Perfect timing for this thread as i am too on the move, to house with a bigger garden etc and in need for a mower upgrade.
I want stripes on my lawn as i'm old fashioned and like the sight of a proper lawn with proper stripes, so it's a petrol with a rear roller for me. I have narrowed it down to two.either Hayter or Mountfield. I'm leaning towards the Hayter Spirit 41

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'm with you Val. Bought one 2 years ago. Can't remember the exact model no but it was the higher spec of the two models on offer. Very happy with my Bosch.

If going for electric, I would recommend it.

I had one of these, did a great job by mowing right up to the edges and leaving good stripes. But the microswitch in the handle mechanism was about as robust as Dairylea cheese. Threw it out this spring after 5 years use, although this would equate to about 150+ mowings of about 150 square yards.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I had one of these, did a great job by mowing right up to the edges and leaving good stripes. But the microswitch in the handle mechanism was about as robust as Dairylea cheese. Threw it out this spring after 5 years use, although this would equate to about 150+ mowings of about 150 square yards.

5 years isn't bad for a mower, in that price range. I haven't experienced any problems..... yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here