Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bus Lanes in Liverpool

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Liverpool have a sensible council who have acknowledged their mistakes Brighton doesn't and they won't like you

No, Liverpool has a mayor who has taken a unilateral decision without consulting stakeholders, based on - by his own admission - a perception.

It's not as though the Greens have added any new ones (Lewes Road wasn't their unilateral project). You find a political party that will get rid of bus lanes in Brighton. Go on...

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I'm sure somewhere along the line they had to agree to it. Maybe kitekat and his furry friends and the trouble maker need to take note

No, Liverpool has a mayor who has taken a unilateral decision without consulting stakeholders, based on - by his own admission - a perception.

It's not as though the Greens have added any new ones (Lewes Road wasn't their unilateral project). You find a political party that will get rid of bus lanes in Brighton. Go on...

Still waiting for your input on what to do with a Chicken carcass. :thumbsup:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting inside out last night on the Green Party and how they view themselves.

I think the council/ bus company have missed a trick here( ed will tell me I am wrong but hey) if bus travel was made ridiculously cheap, say 50p a journey, instead of not that far off a fiver from mile oak as an example, then certainly more people would use the bus as it's convenient etc. at the moment, it is more convenient to drive. To park in Churchill SQuare for 3 quid and be able to load the car up is preferable to having to battle on a bus, with heaps of shopping taking ages and paying through the nose for it is not an option.

Our local church ran a QandA as to the local bus services and 85% of people said they would use it if it was cheaper. In this area that is actually a significant number of people.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Interesting inside out last night on the Green Party and how they view themselves.

I think the council/ bus company have missed a trick here( ed will tell me I am wrong but hey) if bus travel was made ridiculously cheap, say 50p a journey, instead of not that far off a fiver from mile oak as an example, then certainly more people would use the bus as it's convenient etc. at the moment, it is more convenient to drive. To park in Churchill SQuare for 3 quid and be able to load the car up is preferable to having to battle on a bus, with heaps of shopping taking ages and paying through the nose for it is not an option.

Our local church ran a QandA as to the local bus services and 85% of people said they would use it if it was cheaper. In this area that is actually a significant number of people.

Academic research concludes that demand is inelastic to changes in bus fares. For a 10% fall in bus fares, demand is likely to rise by between 3 and 5%, which means total bus revenue would fall. The same happens if you raise fares ie. demand doesn't reduce by as much. That is why B+H Buses, given that they have a local monopoly on most routes, can get away with higher fares. As a generalisation, most (but not all) people who use the bus don't have a car available for their journey and most who do use it.

There is a history of people saying they will use bus services, local pubs, more expensive shops etc much more than they actually do, because they don't want to lose the option.

PG

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
car-bus-bike.jpg

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
That's a pretty unfair picture. It does one car for one person. Many cars carry multiple passengers. It could show 15 cars at 4 people per car. Why not show 60 buses?

Was just going to say the same.
Lunch time I drove down Terminus Road to Brighton Station. After all that money spent forming that one way system the congestion was as bad, if not worse than before.
Dogma!!!

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
The Green Party are just Tories with beards. People are criticising them for perceived 'green' politics when the Greens in Brighton actually have almost the complete opposite to green policies. Hence why Brighton & Hove has probably the worst record on recycling in the South of England. Any genuinely green political party controlling Brighton council would simply ban all private cars from the city centre (everything from the Level to Palmeira Square) instantly solving all the traffic problems - other similarly sized towns and cities in Europe have done the same with huge success (loads of big companies move their head offices to these towns because of the car-free centre, boosting the local economy, etc etc). That's what a real green party would do. These ****s in charge of Brighton probably all drive Humvees and roast dolphins on barbecues for their similarly two-faced yuppie friends. As others have said, anyone who thinks Brighton Greens are anti-car is living in Opposite Land...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Green Party are just Tories with beards. People are criticising them for perceived 'green' politics when the Greens in Brighton actually have almost the complete opposite to green policies. Hence why Brighton & Hove has probably the worst record on recycling in the South of England. Any genuinely green political party controlling Brighton council would simply ban all private cars from the city centre (everything from the Level to Palmeira Square) instantly solving all the traffic problems - other similarly sized towns and cities in Europe have done the same with huge success (loads of big companies move their head offices to these towns because of the car-free centre, boosting the local economy, etc etc). That's what a real green party would do. These ****s in charge of Brighton probably all drive Humvees and roast dolphins on barbecues for their similarly two-faced yuppie friends. As others have said, anyone who thinks Brighton Greens are anti-car is living in Opposite Land...

Over-simplified twaddle.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
That's a pretty unfair picture. It does one car for one person. Many cars carry multiple passengers. It could show 15 cars at 4 people per car. Why not show 60 buses?

Not many cars carry multiple passengers. I once took part in a a survey, sitting on Lewes road in the rain with a clipboard, and the vast, VAST majority of the cars that passed me were single occupancy.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Not many cars carry multiple passengers. I once took part in a a survey, sitting on Lewes road in the rain with a clipboard, and the vast, VAST majority of the cars that passed me were single occupancy.

Yes, and I've seen lots of buses with very few passengers. Everyone sees what they want to see!!!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Yes, and I've seen lots of buses with very few passengers. Everyone sees what they want to see!!!

It wasn't what I wanted to see though. How very dare you. Hrrmph! I want to see people sharing cars and using buses.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Any genuinely green political party controlling Brighton council would simply ban all private cars from the city centre (everything from the Level to Palmeira Square) instantly solving all the traffic problems
That may or may not be the answer, it could just be:-
Over-simplified twaddle.
but we're never going to find out because, as is customary, everything stays the same.

You've got to admire Scouseland for saying 'we're going to trial something different and see what happens'.

It would be great if in January Brighton Council said 'no cars till Sept'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here