Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bus crash on north street

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I'd like to see buses replaced by modern trams. If they can do it in Croydon they can do it here. Not only would it be far more environmentally-friendly, far cheaper to build than bus/cycle lanes and far more of a fun thing to do, but the demarcation between tram zones and zones for pedestrians, cyclists and other road users would be far clearer. It's a no-brainer for a modern forward-thinking city really.

I'd like to see trams used too but I think it cost about £200 to implement in Croydon with central Government contributing £125M. I don't know whether those funds would be available now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I guess you meant the opposite maybe? And yes, they have both. However, as one who used to commute to Beckenham from Preston Park by way of East Croydon, the only time anyone ever used the buses was when the tram system crapped out. The bus took at least twice as long and was five times as grim. Oh, and the Croydon trams were included in your Zones 5 & 6 Travelcard, so effectively cost you nothing more than the bus and/or train. Modern trams are the way forward.

Yes, I did mean the opposite. But I can't see many more trams coming in - the West London one has been abandoned permanently and Edinburgh's recent tram system is expected to cost about £1 billion - can't see the council swallowing that sort of cost

Yes the 23. 78 does.

The 78 runs from Old Steine to Stanmer Park, doesn't go through the Clock Tower.

But my point was that nearly bus service does go through the CT, it's madness. Imagine how congested Trafalgar Square would be if every bus service went through it

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, I did mean the opposite. But I can't see many more trams coming in - the West London one has been abandoned permanently and Edinburgh's recent tram system is expected to cost about £1 billion - can't see the council swallowing that sort of cost

The 78 runs from Old Steine to Stanmer Park, doesn't go through the Clock Tower.

But my point was that nearly bus service does go through the CT, it's madness. Imagine how congested Trafalgar Square would be if every bus service went through it

Edinburgh has been a disaster - years and years behind schedule. Doesn't appear to be a lot of people using it either

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

It goes from the OS up North Street and Queens Rd to the station and back down North Road.

I know, I was agreeing with you :)
Trouble is there are not many other places to cross the railway line, especially for a double decker.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well, in this time of austerity we should do away with this costly policing team

Don't worry yourself on that front. It's already happening. YAY for austerity :thumbsup:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I'd like to see trams used too but I think it cost about £200 to implement in Croydon with central Government contributing £125M. I don't know whether those funds would be available now.

Yeah and the madcap BML2 scheme will split the network in two if it ever got passed. Total pigmess, the whole route north of Selsdon near South Croydon is impractical for high-speed trains.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I think timed crossing at the clocktower where you see the count down in front of you would be useful; so many times you think should i shouldn't I!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
They had a report on the local news about this crash and they interviewed an eye witness who said that he saw a bus traveling up the hill with a traffic cone already under the wheels and therefore making a lot of noise. He also saw the driver who he described as someone who looked like he was asleep just before the crash, a few moments after turning away he then heard the collision.

Sounds more like he suffered a health problem prior to the crash which may have caused it rather than some of the other theories on here like pedestrian / cyclists, etc but it could still be one of several causes.

They said that 19 had needed treatment, 9 of which are still in hospital and 1 still has life threatening injuries (believed to be the driver who was in the bus that drove into the back of the other bus)

The report also mentions the great response from people nearby including staff from local businesses and shoppers, who provided first aid, chairs, drinks, etc.. to help those involved before the emergency services arrived.

Hoping that everyone makes a full and speedy recovery.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Ive been told by some1 that was there, that paul barber cut the bus driver up while riding his bicycle.
Aparantly he was late for a meeting at the grand hotel

Aparantly he was meeting owen and zamora

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I saw some footage of the smashed front window on the top deck of the bus, and that reminded me of a question that nobody has ever been able to answer to my satisfaction - why aren't seat-belts provided in the front seats on the top decks?

Isn't the danger of being thrown through the windscreen of a bus in a collision as great as in a car if not greater? With the added danger of falling from the equivalent of a first-floor window?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
One thing I hate about us as a nation / human race is we are always straight onto the 'who's fault was it?' Or 'what happened?'. I've known of people / friends who've lost their lives in RTA and people ask 'what happened?'. ****s me off - who gives a shit what happened, it's quite clear of the end result. Not enough questions on the injured on this thread and page after page of guessing bollocks :(

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Ive been told by some1 that was there, that paul barber cut the bus driver up while riding his bicycle.
Aparantly he was late for a meeting at the grand hotel

Aparantly he was meeting owen and zamora

Great taste mate. Bloody hell NSC can be depressing sometimes.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
One thing I hate about us as a nation / human race is we are always straight onto the 'who's fault was it?' Or 'what happened?'. I've known of people / friends who've lost their lives in RTA and people ask 'what happened?'. ****s me off - who gives a shit what happened, it's quite clear of the end result. Not enough questions on the injured on this thread and page after page of guessing bollocks :(

Quite. No wonder I barely come here anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here