Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Burt Bacharach RIP

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
That’s a great mix @Jam The Man, I really like it - it’s got a late 70s dance vibe to me - I loved Elvis’s R&B version but like the original recording artist, Chuck Jackson’s version too - testimony to the calibre of songwriter/composer

Cheers. And absolutely 👍🏼
The original is hard to surpass.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
And would these singers' careers have been quite as successful without a BB song in their list I wonder?
Dionne Warwick definitely not with many of his songs specially written for her. I'm sure there was a whole album of her singing his songs and beautifully, too. It wasn't just songwriting, either. Very many of his recordings for others were produced by him including Warwick's exquisite Walk On By. Much writing and producing credit too to Hal David. RIP Burt Bacharach. Legend.

Last edited:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Dionne Warwick definitely not with many of his songs specially written for her. I'm sure there was a whole album of her singing his songs and beautifully, too. It wasn't just songwriting, either. Very many of his recordings for others were produced by him including Warwick's exquisite Walk On By. Much writing and producing credit too to Hal David. RIP Burt Bacharach. Legend.
Absolutely - the man's influence on music and performers reaches far and wide... extraordinary. RIP.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Bert Bacharach not forgetting Hal David the best songwriting team since the fifties. I have fond memories of shuffling around the Regent ballroom to " walk on by". I saw him perform a few years ago at the Jazz festival near Lewes. Yesterday we lost a true legend.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Someone for whom words like legend and icon are actually justified.

This is one of my favourites, and I've just read that Dionne Warwick did not like it as a song. "It was dumb".
I love the arrangement as much as anything else, which was Bacharach's doing as well. It's the laid back drumming which does it!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
R.I.P. Burt. What an absolute legend and what a life he must have lived, mixing with the greatest global musical talents for 60-odd years.

As songwriters go he is - and will always be - an 'A' lister.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
After winning the word cup Bobby Moore went to the Playboy club and sung accompained by Burt on piano.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Saw him at Love Supreme a couple of years ago and it was clear we were in the presence of greatness.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Songs currently featured on BBC Four, most so far have been pale imitations of the originals

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here