Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Burnley vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Absolutely.

My recollection of last season, was we would quite often, sit back too much, once we had taken the lead.
Quite possibly a by-product of not scoring enough goals, but it often led to letting teams back into games we were in command of.

We had been defensively sound all season, apart from when defending a lead it seems.
No reason to suspect sitting deeper would make us more effective defensively,

Far better to continue controlling the game than cede the initiative to the opponents.

It's also notable that both our goals came from centres quickly fizzed in. Too often we've tended to stop, fanny around and pass it back. Moder and Mac Allister brought some speed and directness to the party. I wouldn't mind trying those two in a front three with Maupay in a 3-4-3, with Bissouma and one of Mwepu, Lallana, Alzate or Gross in midfield behind them.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's also notable that both our goals came from centres quickly fizzed in. Too often we've tended to stop, fanny around and pass it back. Moder and Mac Allister brought some speed and directness to the party. I wouldn't mind trying those two in a front three with Maupay in a 3-4-3, with Bissouma and one of Mwepu, Lallana, Alzate or Gross in midfield behind them.

Yes. In the 2nd half we got behind them down their left twice before we scored. Worked very well.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yes. In the 2nd half we got behind them down their left twice before we scored. Worked very well.

But more importantly the ball was played on the deck where Tarkowski and Mee are a lot weaker. Earlier Trossard got in a similar position and floated the ball over, a decent cross if you have forward players good at heading.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
But more importantly the ball was played on the deck where Tarkowski and Mee are a lot weaker. Earlier Trossard got in a similar position and floated the ball over, a decent cross if you have forward players good at heading.

And also importantly, we got players into the box to receive the pull backs, including midfielders.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If you're a Sky subscriber then new this season - 24 hours after the match ? - the full 90 minutes is available on demand of every PL game including this one.
So fill your boots.
It used to be just a brisk 25 min extended highlights.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you're a Sky subscriber then new this season - 24 hours after the match ? - the full 90 minutes is available on demand of every PL game including this one.
So fill your boots.

Does this also work on Now TV? Please say it does :smile:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
So fill your boots.

Found it.
Scroll down to Sport on Demand, then scroll right and there it is. It’s available for another 4 days.

Thanks both. I would never have known. I would just add that in Now TV it appears in the row below when you reach ‘view all.’

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
[tweet]1427629753226440712[/tweet]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Found it.
Scroll down to Sport on Demand, then scroll right and there it is. It’s available for another 4 days.

Just watched it. What a bunch of cheating niggly thugs Burnley are. Sanchez needs to sort out his kicking, Maupay ran his heart out and was very lucky to stay on the pitch when he kicked the ball away when already booked. We don’t give up these days do we? Enjoyed that and I don’t think that we were as shit in the first half as the NSC match-day thread suggested, we were bullied with little protection from the ref after going a goal down to a goal that should never have stood. We did OK considering

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Just watched it. What a bunch of cheating niggly thugs Burnley are. Sanchez needs to sort out his kicking, Maupay ran his heart out and was very lucky to stay on the pitch when he kicked the ball away when already booked. We don’t give up these days do we? Enjoyed that and I don’t think that we were as shit in the first half as the NSC match-day thread suggested, we were bullied with little protection from the ref after going a goal down to a goal that should never have stood. We did OK considering
May be the reason Maupay was not booked a second time is because there are multiple balls on the touch line every 20 yards or so.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Agreed. Watched it myself as there’s nothing else on the tv tonight. I’m glad I knew the result beforehand!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And also importantly, we got players into the box to receive the pull backs, including midfielders.

If you know Moder is going to ping one across, just out of the GK's reach, you're likely to get in there and go for it!

If, on the other hand, you know the player will stop, turn round, look and see who is availabe to switch the ball across the pitch to the other wing in three easy passes, or initiate a smooth and sophisticated ('total football, man') transition back to Sanchez you're not going to bother busting your gut to get to that six yard box, are you?

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
May be the reason Maupay was not booked a second time is because there are multiple balls on the touch line every 20 yards or so.

I think the only reason he wasn't booked is that the ref realised he would also have to send him off, and decided that it wasn't deserving of that. He definitely ran over and reached for his pocket. If he hadn't already been on a yellow card he would have been booked for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here